Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Mikehit said:
Besisika said:
1080P output from a 4K is the pro standard today. 1080P from a 5D III is a quality of yesteryear.

Pure BS.
Most real pros shoot 1080p quite happily, use manual focus and produce top quality video for documentaries and films. Most people demanding after 4k DSLR/mirrorless are youtube vlogging wannabes.
OK, got it!

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Mikehit said:
Besisika said:
1080P output from a 4K is the pro standard today. 1080P from a 5D III is a quality of yesteryear.

Pure BS.
Most real pros shoot 1080p quite happily, use manual focus and produce top quality video for documentaries and films. Most people demanding after 4k DSLR/mirrorless are youtube vlogging wannabes.

I have to agree with Mike on this one.
Well, I wouldn't have said in that manner... but think about it.
If you are a pro... you have work... and if you have enough work, why would you pile more work on top of that work? Recording straight to 1080p and delivering that is faster and easier...
I have friends who do wedding videos for a living (thats his full time gig), he is averaging 30 odd weddings per year... 8 hours X 2 cameras and 1 of them is from a DSLR. You do the math... I think he has 2 kids and a wife on top of that... I help him out here and there... but if you want spend hours upon hours editing (splicing seconds to minutes of video, color correcting, adding effects, authoring and then publishing). Adding an extra hour or 2 because you have to work with 4K doesn't make sense to me? Does that make sense to you? Because the average consumer can't tell the difference between 1080p straight from the camera and 1080p coming from 4K.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
mkabi said:
Mikehit said:
Besisika said:

Pure BS.

I have to agree with Mike on this one.
Well, I wouldn't have said in that manner... but think about it.
If you are a pro... you have work... and if you have enough work, why would you pile more work on top of that work? Recording straight to 1080p and delivering that is faster and easier...
I have friends who do wedding videos for a living (thats his full time gig), he is averaging 30 odd weddings per year... 8 hours X 2 cameras and 1 of them is from a DSLR. You do the math... I think he has 2 kids and a wife on top of that... I help him out here and there... but if you want spend hours upon hours editing (splicing seconds to minutes of video, color correcting, adding effects, authoring and then publishing). Adding an extra hour or 2 because you have to work with 4K doesn't make sense to me? Does that make sense to you? Because the average consumer can't tell the difference between 1080p straight from the camera and 1080p coming from 4K.
It's all getting a bit generalistic with the responses here. I'm a filmmaker producing content for TV and there are a number of strict standards and formats you have to adhere to. DSLR/mirrorless, 4K or not, aren't yet really recommended video cameras for that level of work.

Dslrs are great for plenty of non-broadcast quality productions such as the mentioned wedding video market where output standards are not strict. In order to confidently include 4K video in any business, assuming most people will be viewing it at 4K, you will need bigger memory cards as the file sizes are significantly bigger, a lot more hard disk space to store the files and for a few backups plus a pretty powerful PC able to cope with the larger files. It's simply out of the budget for a lot of smaller businesses. Also lens choices become a lot more critical as 4K can really show up a lens' shortcomings, especially cost effective photography lenses adapted for filming.

I've only really seen proper 4K production setups involving cine cameras, not dslrs. The majority of people who would choose a dslr over a cine camera probably don't have the sort of budget to cater for that level of professionalism and are very likely not to have a critical need for it anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0