Why WOULD Canon make another SLR/DSLR now?

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
The only reasons I can come up with:

• so EF lens-users don't need an adapter... but is this a reason? Such a user could just keep the adapter permanently mounted on an RF body, right?
  • the viewfinder resolution sucks, in my opinion, compared to a real view... but am I the only one who thinks so? Is there a resolution and dynamic range that would somehow make the LCD good enough for literally everyone?
Does anyone know enough about sensors in mirrorless cameras to know if there are any ways that SLR sensors are strictly superior? For instance, my 1-DsMkIII sensor "heats up" in live view mode and gets noisier. Is this something that mirrorless cameras have to simply live with, or is this a problem that no longer exists?

dak723

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 26, 2013
1.) Because more people buy DSLRS worldwide.
2.) Because many people prefer OVFs.
3.) Because DSLRs are still better for wildlife or any other activity where the photographer must look through the viewfinder for minutes or hours at a time.
4.) Because of the better battery life - especially for the above photographers.
5.) Because many folks own EF lenses and don't want to use an adapter.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Try to look through an electronic viewfinder for more than 10 minutes without interruption and you'll have the answer.
Both types have their advantages, but I think DSLR viewfinders are more comfortable (and don't drain the battery) if for instance you wait for a shy animal.
I like my EOS R, but will certainly buy a DSLR to replace my aging 5 D3.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
1.) Because more people buy DSLRS worldwide.
I understand the rest of your reasons, thanks, but this one seems odd. They'll keep making SLRs because they made SLRs? The same thing was true for film cameras and large-format. The R has been out less than a month so clearly the installed base of SLRs is higher, but apparently its Canon's top-selling full-frame camera in Japan.

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
- Because DSLR is more mature technology.
- Because DSLR cameras have proven longevity and can be trusted in harsh conditions.
- Because the sensor is not constantly exposed to light that will reduce lifespan of the sensor and degrades it in shorter time period.

Reactions: tron

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
- Because DSLR is more mature technology.
- Because DSLR cameras have proven longevity and can be trusted in harsh conditions.
- Because the sensor is not constantly exposed to light that will reduce lifespan of the sensor and degrades it in shorter time period.
But then my question what is the specific problem a mirrorless would have than an SLR wouldn't?

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
But then my question what is the specific problem a mirrorless would have than an SLR wouldn't?
Immaturity of technology, unproven longevity and sensor degradation are specific problems that mirrorless has and DSLR does not. We should either perform some stress test or wait 10+ years to have enough data to evaluate/justify the mirrorless technology. Meanwhile DSLR will continue to sell and serve the needs.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
It's irrelevant. In October, 56% of ILCs shipped were DSLRs. Consumer want to buy them. Consumers are buying them, in greater numbers than MILCs.

Why do you think Canon would not produce new models of DSLRs? Why would Canon just abandon a profitable market?

As for your reference to film cameras, you need to understand that film to digital was a paradigm shift, while removing the mirror from a DSLR is not. The film to digital ILC transition was essentially complete in less time than FF MILCs have been on the market, yet DSLRs remain more popular.

Mt Spokane Photography

Mar 25, 2011
Canon will make whatever cameras that have adequate sales. They only stopped making SLR's when they stopped selling. They will stop making DSLR's when they stop selling, they will stop making mirrorless if they stop selling. Right now, their mirrorless models are no where near being a big money maker for them, they will be adding more models over the coming years, but also adding more DSLR's as long as there is demand.

Its totally up to camera buyers, and not up to what we may prefer personally.

Mt Spokane Photography

Mar 25, 2011
I have a EOS R, a 5D MK IV and a SL2, The R cannot focus on a small spot, so it struggles when I'm trying to focus thru a opening in a tree on a bird, while the MK IV has no such issue. The battery life is much shorter on the R, and, with my large hand, it gets more difficult to use with larger lenses. Some of these things could be fixed in a newer model, but some of the differences like the slow screen response may be waiting for newer technology.

Until a mirrorless is released that is actually better rather than almost as good, many people find DSLRs cost less for better overall performance and will select them. I bought the R for its lowlight AF because I do low light photography more than with normal lighting.

I don't like the single SD card either, its another almost as good as a CF card type of thing.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
It's irrelevant. In October, 56% of ILCs shipped were DSLRs. Consumer want to buy them. Consumers are buying them, in greater numbers than MILCs.
Yes. Rejoice ... while you can. Don't lose sight of the trend though :)

Shipments worldwide, Value in Bn Yen:

DSLR August: 25.7
DSLM August: 17.3

DSRL: September: 24.3
DSLM September: 27.5

DSLR October: 23.8
DSLM October: 31.9

Will be interesting to see full calendar year 2018 numbers. I think mirrorfree will be ahead in both units and revenue. bye bye, 'slappers. :)

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Immaturity of technology, unproven longevity and sensor degradation are specific problems that mirrorless has and DSLR does not. We should either perform some stress test or wait 10+ years to have enough data to evaluate/justify the mirrorless technology. Meanwhile DSLR will continue to sell and serve the needs.
lol. Dream on.
btw. my EOS M 1st gen is still working fine after 50k clicks and 6 years. Cannot detect any "sensor degradation" or other signs of decay, other than a few external battlemarks caused by my "stress tests".

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
But that is not your original question. Your question was why Canon would make another DSLR.

I have a DSLR and a mirrorless camera. I prefer the DSLR because of battery life, size, and viewfinder. Any of these are preferences set by the user (except maybe battery life). So my answer to you is that Canon will still make DSLRs because there are things about them that many prefer over mirrorless. The market is still large enough to support both.

An adapter would not be a big deal to me because I cannot fathom that there would be any IQ degradation adapting EF to R. The only reason at this point, for me, to change would be to have those sexy new fast R lenses. Otherwise I am perfectly happy with EF, will buy at least 1 more EF (85mm f/1.4L IS), and will buy a 5D Mark V should one get made. For what I do the glass is far more important than the body.

timmy_650

EOS RP
Dec 20, 2012
Yes. Rejoice ... while you can. Don't lose sight of the trend though :)

Shipments worldwide, Value in Bn Yen:

DSLR August: 25.7
DSLM August: 17.3

DSRL: September: 24.3
DSLM September: 27.5

DSLR October: 23.8
DSLM October: 31.9

Will be interesting to see full calendar year 2018 numbers. I think mirrorfree will be ahead in both units and revenue. bye bye, 'slappers. :)
What I would be interested in seeing is the 5DV coming in with both mirrorless option and DSLR at about the same time. That is a number I would want to compare. I doubt it will happen. When you compare random months so much it when camera were released.

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
lol. Dream on.
btw. my EOS M 1st gen is still working fine after 50k clicks and 6 years. Cannot detect any "sensor degradation" or other signs of decay, other than a few external battlemarks caused by my "stress tests".
If statistics could work with a dataset composed of a single data point, your logic is ok. Fortunately, real world is quite different than that. o_O