Will Canon make a full size mirrorless crop camera?

Apr 23, 2018
with a more intelligent and multifunctional user interface - smart touchscreen, AI, Eye Control Focus Mk. Ii - much fewer physical control points are needed on cameras. less dials, wheels, buttons, joystick nipples and the like. all a thing of the past, just like flapping mirrors. FF sensor cameras can finally be built smaller again, eg sized like a Canon AE-1 ;-) ... after all the bloat of the last 2 decades.

no problem, if Canon makes 1 large body, but there should be some compact models with really intelligent and ergonomic 21st century interface. more "Apple"/digital age thinking instead of 19th century film, mechanics and "big boxes plus black cloth over head" nostalgia is needed. :)

Upvote 0
So, why mirrorless at all? I wan't the EVF and the practicality of seeing depth of field that comes with it. I want the higher fps that mirrorless usually achieves. If that can be even higher on a crop sensor, it's another reason for having a crop sensor body as well.

I've only used EVF'ers on Sony SLT's, which haven't impressed me at all, especially when using ND grads (where the position of the filters transition is more difficult to see). They also don't show the effects of different apertures on depth of field prior to capturing an image, this would be a big plus for me. Do Canon's current range of mirrorless cameras show the actual image (including depth of field) that you are about to capture in the EVF ?

Upvote 0
fullstop said:
mb66energy said:
I hope they will come up with a dual VF system where you have the OVF enabled if the camera is switched of

are you aware that you don't see a clear image in the OVF of a 7D / II or any other current Canon mirrorslapper] *when the camera is switched off*? There is an LCD overlay that needs camera turned on / powered.

So maybe the 200D has a better OVF because the display is crystal clear during power off and for checking the scene I do NOT need some overlay - just the image and the possibility to set zoom and focus by hand.
I think only the 7D ii has this and maybe some other DSLRs where you can overlay a grid etc. while loosing the red lit focus points too.

Using an OVF / EVF hybrid system you can to switch BETWEEN both e.g. by a mirror or an electrically modifiable mirror layer or maybe mix both.
But choosing between both would be great to have uncluttered screen in OVF and helpful overlays with EVF. M50 is very intelligent there and widely configurable info settings for different screen views which can be toggled (for EVF and display independently).

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
scyrene said:
Kit. said:
denstore said:
Let’s assume that Canon releases the mirrorless FF camera within the next year, and it will be something like a mirrorless 5D or 6D-series. Will they do a crop sensor version as well? Something like a mirrorless 7D?
Why would anyone want to have a mirrorless version of a camera whose only advantage is that it flaps a mirror fast?

Just make it full-frame if you don't need a lighter mirror anymore.

As Neuro has said here many times, the primary advantage of APS-C versus FF is can be a lot cheaper. Cost is often the primary driver of people's choices.

Absolutely. The main advantage of an APSC mirrorless over an FF mirrorless will be cost -- and that's a major, major factor for a lot of consumers. I mean, the reason Canon sells a lot more Rebels than 5D bodies is not because Rebels are smaller.

If you take cost out of the picture and assume that the buyer is happy to spend up to $4,000 on their camera (or even, that a more expensive camera has a greater allure to the luxury item buyer), there are almost no advantages to an APSC mirrorless over an FF mirrorless. In a DSLR, a 7D has the advantage over a 5D of a smaller subject filling up more of the (optical) viewfinder due to the crop factor. On a mirrorless, as with the Sony A7R3, it is possible to rescale/crop the EVF image very neatly to effectively create a crop camera from a full frame camera, as long as the sensor has enough resolution to do so.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
denstore said:
stevelee said:
I don't even know what a "full size mirrorless crop camera" would be, unless it is something for agriculture journalists.

;D

Sorry, but since English isn’t my first language, things might come out a bit silly. But we could continue the discussion in Swedish instead if it helps. :p

Didn't intend to make fun of your English, but as I read the thread, I felt like people were taking the topic to mean different things.

Luckily, you can't make fun of my Swedish. ;D

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
Didn't intend to make fun of your English, but as I read the thread, I felt like people were taking the topic to mean different things.

No problem. I think the thread has been reasonable successful even if the title might have been a bit silly.
I now get a feeling that I’m not completely alone in thinking that there’s a place for large bodied, mirrorless cameras, both full frame and APS-C sensor.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
denstore said:
stevelee said:

No problem. I think the thread has been reasonable successful even if the title might have been a bit silly.
I now get a feeling that I’m not completely alone in thinking that there’s a place for large bodied, mirrorless cameras, both full frame and APS-C sensor.

I think quite a few sensible people are on the same page with you. The people who want a tiny FF body must have tiny presidential hands because the majority of users will have serious ergonomic problems with an Olympus size and layout in FF.

Upvote 0
On a mirrorless, as with the Sony A7R3, it is possible to rescale/crop the EVF image very neatly to effectively create a crop camera from a full frame camera, as long as the sensor has enough resolution to do so.

I've recently used a similar function on clients Nikon D750, it shows an APS-C sized rectangular image area in the central third of the frame when crop frame lenses are used. It didn't take long to master and you had the useful advantage of being able to view object/people that were approaching the frame through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The T3i is already Rebel sized, but I just happened to read today that it has a crop video mode that lets you shoot 640 x 480 movies using that number of pixels. It gives you a real telephoto effect, for those folks who like having a lot of "reach." I never would have used this mode if I had known about it, but it is interesting to see that it was there to use.

Upvote 0
No idea of what to expect from the 7d mk3 or the 90d if they are headed towards mirrorless.

Despite having a few mirrorless cameras i am not a fan of them or certain sensors in dslrs either.
Nikons answer to the D760 (D750 replacement) will most likely be the new 24mpx mirrorless. It is yet to be seen how they will handle the adaptation of older F mount glass. So far it doesn't look promising.

I would prefer to have an improved 7Dmk2 (aka 7dMk3) even if it's not a stellar improvement over the mk2, other wise it doesn't seem viable to start another lens collection or they go the way of Nikon not to mention Sony still does not have good affordable lenses for it's A9 and A7 line and most A73 owners have a Frankenstein mix of third party lenses to get the most of their investment. If all this mirrorless craze ends up with more trouble i'l simply get another 7Dmk2 because in reality mirrorless for the most part is not worth the hassle except perhaps in the micro 43rds domain which has had a much more time and expereince to perfect it.

Upvote 0
Let’s assume that Canon releases the mirrorless FF camera within the next year, and it will be something like a mirrorless 5D or 6D-series. Will they do a crop sensor version as well? Something like a mirrorless 7D? The M5 and M50 are nice, but they really are too small for my liking, especially with larger lenses. Will it matter if they stick with the EF/EF-S mount for the FF or not? If they do, there will be three crop camera lens alternatives. What do you think?
I see no point in Mirror-less unless there smaller and lighter,.
I'm getting quite interested in mirror-less jobbie but it has to be small and light and have a decent evf.

Upvote 0