Will Canon make a tilt-shift adapter for all EF lenses for the Canon R?

There was this article in 2015 about such an adapter that was patented by Canon:
http://www.photographybay.com/2015/...-shift-adapter-that-works-with-every-ef-lens/

It summed things by saying that this was likely only going to work with EOS M for various reasons that included the shorter flange distance from the lens to the sensor. Well now we have the R system, does that mean Canon could make a tilt-shift adapter for the new R system? I'm not an engineer, but would like to see this become available and hopefully others do too.

Also, I'd like to see an IS adapter for non IS EF lenses. Why not? If Canon doesn't want IBIS and says Lens IS is superior, why not make an adapter that can add IS. Again, I'm not an engineer and this may sound like a stupid idea for those that know why this won't work, but I think it would be good to have. I personally believe canon is not providing IBIS simply to keep lens prices high to make more profit. IBIS would likely reduce sales of IS lenses.

Mar 25, 2011
In order to use a tilt-shift adapter for a FF sensor, a lens must have a larger than normal image circle, so such a adapter would not work with EF lenses. The Canon TS-E lenses have a larger image circle.

What this means to me is that Canon would not make T/S adapter, because it would only work with a few models of non Canon lenses, and those might not always work well. Its more likely that a 3rd party might, but a dedicated RF tilt/shift lens would likely be far better.

Ibis brings with it lots of technical issues, since the sensor must move, and has to remain aligned to very tight tolerances and must have a way to get rid of heat too, its difficult. Cameras with IBIS tent to overheat easily, or if they just get warmer sensors, the IQ drops as noise arises. Reviewers do not test cameras in real world conditions, but put them indoors in a room at a nominal temperature, so the only evidence of the issue is the few who have discovered that noise goes way up when in a warm environment with IBIS.

When IS is in a lens, sensor heating is out of the equation so reliability is better, and sensors can be kept cooler.

That doesn't mean that Canon won't include it, they have patents, including a recent one, and have said they are considering it. Consumer demand is a factor, features are often included just because they sell cameras, not because they make technical sense. Marketing creates a demand, so its filled.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In order to use a tilt-shift adapter for a FF sensor, a lens must have a larger than normal image circle, so such a adapter would not work with EF lenses. The Canon TS-E lenses have a larger image circle.

What this means to me is that Canon would not make T/S adapter, because it would only work with a few models of non Canon lenses, and those might not always work well. Its more likely that a 3rd party might, but a dedicated RF tilt/shift lens would likely be far better.

Why wouldn't this comment from the article counter this?

"Canon is using cropping on the sensor in order to fit the tilt-shift images into a native camera format."

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
why not make an adapter that can add IS.

IS needs to move some lenses, or the sensor (or both). An adapter would need to add optics, with all the issues it would bring, and may not be placed in the proper place. Maybe with some mirrors it could work (but it would be bulky!) - but would the camera still be mirrorless?? :p

Upvote 0