Will Canon Stopped Develop EF Lens Line Up?

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
That’s good to know, we so rarely get insights into their corporate strategy from people with direct inside knowledge of it. Unfortunately for you, if Canon reads your post they will most likely fire you for breaching your confidentiality agreement. :rolleyes:

Instead of making up alternative facts, we could consider relying on logic. Canon is a business, as such their goal is to return value to their shareholders and make a profit, and a very logical way to do so is to develop and sell products people want to buy. Over 60% of ILC buyers are purchasing DSLRs. A corporate strategy to exit the dominant segment of the market would be rather stupid. So either Canon really is stupid, or the suggestion that it’s their strategy to exit the EF lens market is ridiculous.

Sorry, but in a fight between logic and inanity, logic is going to win every time.
Neuroanatomist logic is sometimes neuroanatomist is right and others are wrong.
You seem to confuse what people bought in the past with what people will want to buy in the future.
What people want to buy in the future is what a business needs to be concerned about.
If Canon intend to kill off their EF line they are not going to say it now. You seem to hang alot of faith on what an executive near the top of the company says. He will tell you what he wants an existing EF user to hear. He's not going to alienate them at this stage.
Old products don't sustain a business in its current mass. Canon will sell EF as long as its worth it to them but they will expect their growth from MILC. They won't produce too many more new EF lens except for minor upgrades that don't require major tooling. New design will be in R lens. To sell R lens they need to sell MILC cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuroanatomist logic is sometimes neuroanatomist is right and others are wrong.
You seem to confuse what people bought in the past with what people will want to buy in the future.
What people want to buy in the future is what a business needs to be concerned about.
You seem to confuse your opinions with facts. Logic is logic – it is based on factual information and reasonable extrapolation from that information. That’s what I ‘hang my faith on’. I’m sure Canon is concerned about what people will buy in the future. Have you noticed that they’re the #1 MILC seller in Japan? Have you noticed that globally, DSLRs significantly outsell MILCs? Have you noticed that the rate of change in the ratio of MILCs to DSLRs globally is slow? Once that ratio shifts to something like 70/30 or 80/20 MILC to DSLR, it might make sense for Canon to consider a strategy for exiting the EF lens market. Based on the rate of change over the past several years, the ILC market should reach that point in a decade or so. Maybe you assume it will be much sooner. Maybe you’d plan to terminate a large and profitable part of your corporate portfolio based on that assumption. That’s probably why someone other than you is responsible for that sort of decision.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
You seem to confuse your opinions with facts. Logic is logic – it is based on factual information and reasonable extrapolation from that information. That’s what I ‘hang my faith on’. I’m sure Canon is concerned about what people will buy in the future. Have you noticed that they’re the #1 MILC seller in Japan? Have you noticed that globally, DSLRs significantly outsell MILCs? Have you noticed that the rate of change in the ratio of MILCs to DSLRs globally is slow? Once that ratio shifts to something like 70/30 or 80/20 MILC to DSLR, it might make sense for Canon to consider a strategy for exiting the EF lens market. Based on the rate of change over the past several years, the ILC market should reach that point in a decade or so. Maybe you assume it will be much sooner. Maybe you’d plan to terminate a large and profitable part of your corporate portfolio based on that assumption. That’s probably why someone other than you is responsible for that sort of decision.

Well lets see how many new EF lens Canon brings out.
I've already said they will keep selling EF lens as long as its profitable for them but they won't bring out too many more new ones and particularly not innovative ones.
You are basing your opinion on historical information and in technology if you are looking behind you haven't much of a future.
Extrapolating the future based on historical electronic sales is generally not a clever idea.
With always with these things there is a tipping point after which the rate of acceleration of adoption increases.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I think people are confusing "Canon will develop new EF lenses" and "Canon will continue to make EF lenses." Since they already have a lineup that covers all focal lengths in both zooms and primes, they may not develop any new EF lenses. For folks buying a new DSLR or for those looking to add EF lenses to their collection, they don't need newly developed lenses. So Canon will undoubtedly continue to make EF lenses for many years. This will only affect those photographers that feel they need to update their existing lenses - which, in all likliehood, is a very small number. My guess is that most folks with a 70-200mm L lens or any other L lens, are keeping that lens for decades - or as long as they have a Canon camera to put it on.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My guess is that most folks with a 70-200mm L lens or any other L lens, are keeping that lens for decades - or as long as they have a Canon camera to put it on.
Sure, but are the 62% of ILC buyers all/mostly upgraders, or are there new buyers in there who may not have a set of EF lenses yet? Will those buyers want an ‘old’ lens, or something ‘newer’?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
This all comes down to opinions, as none of us know.

My opinion is that Canon is moving towards the R mount. Since it has very few native lenses, we should see most of the new lenses over the next few years being R mount, after all, the EF selection is already fantastic. After that initial burst, I would expect to see more EF releases..... after all, that’s where most of the cameras in the field are. It is a huge market and there is no way Canon is going to ignore it.

By the way, remember the burst of new EF glass just before the R got released? That is not the action of a company getting ready to abandon the market. Neither is making sure that the R works with all the EF glass.... if Canon wanted to force people away from EF, why did they set it up so that the EF lenses have INCREASED functionality on an R body?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hi folks,

Just wonder whether Canon will stopped develop EF lens line up any time soon?

If yes, perhaps time to jump ship to R or others mirrorless?

Thanks.

I believe canon not going to develop any new EF lenses from scratch. however we will see incremental upgrades (like what we have seen with 70-200 MKIII) as the final horraaa and full compatibility with R bodies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Logic says that with the world's two largest sellers of ILCs introducing FF MILCs for the first time (which work with their existing lenses), the rate of change from DSLR to MILC will likely accelerate. The only question is by how much.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
My original plan was to replaced my 6D on around 2018 ~ 2019 with a 5DIV.

And things got complicated, based on the media, obviously mirrorless will be the future, and Canon launches a RF 28-70mm & 50mm F1.2 hands down every competitor, this meant Canon is seriously moving towards to mirrorless just as what they did during 80s with the EF mount announcement.

If we have a choice, I believe most people would prefer native than adapted lens. As some has reported native lens focus faster on the EOS R than adapted one.

Not thing to switch, but it seems a bit tough to decide which lens mount should invest. Either upgrade to EOS R or continue the initial plan go for the 5DIV.

Thank you.

If Canon has released an R replacement for the 5D Mark IV by the end of 2019, as many prognosticators have predicted, the purchase price of a new 5D Mark IV will very likely be considerably lower than it is now.

There's a huge difference between adapting lenses cross system, such as using EF glass on a Sony body, and adapting an EOS EF lens to an EOS R body. In the first case the camera and the lenses are speaking totally different languages, and the adapter has been made to translate between them using reverse engineering. In the second case, the lens and camera are speaking the same language and the manufacturer of the camera, adapter, and lens is the same entity privy to all of the inner workings of each.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
I expect fewer releases, simply because there are so many RF lenses needed. Truthfully, there is not a great need for more EF lenses, a few of them could certainly be due for upgrading, but don't hold your breath. The next two years will be 90% Mirrorless lens releases.

I'd love to see an upgrade of the 28-300 to rotating zoom instead of trombone. Like they did with the latest 100-400.

Upvote 0
I know how much Tony N is loved around here but he had an interesting take that I saw recently.
Quick summary, as I understood/remember it, is the overall ILC market is shrinking so much faster than mirrorless is growing that the installed base of mirrorless cameras will not overtake the installed base of DSLR cameras. The small base of mirrorless users will not be able to support the technology development needed for long term sustainability. Not only can mirrorless not support itself, it will suck resources away from DSLR development meaning DSLR may not be sustainable in the long term.

I made it sound more dire than I intended but the ILC landscape will likely be different in 10 years. EF may be the only place to get tilt-shift lenses. Specialty lenses of all types may never appear in mirrorless format and EF versions may not get updated or even be discontinued and only available on the used market. Lenses now affordable buy many serious amatuers may only be affordable by pros.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Hi folks,

Just wonder whether Canon will stopped develop EF lens line up any time soon?

If yes, perhaps time to jump ship to R or others mirrorless?

Thanks.

At the moment, I think the best option is to wait. Current R bodies are mehhhh (the EOS RP sensor is :poop: in 2020) in comparison to what Sony, Nikon and Panasonic offer (let's be honest). But current R lenses are :love: .

So we need to see what's next. Two new R bodies are to be announced soon. All eyes on them to see if they are a match for the A7RIV. If they are, we know for sure that Canon has taken this seriously and it's a go (for me not yet, as I prefer OVF). If they aren't, I wouldn't be urged to switch to the R system as I wouldn't be reassured.

But waiting is also the keyword here because a 5D Mark V is expected by September/EOY. And there also, we'll see how committed to DSLRs Canon remains. If the 5D Mark V is "just" a spec-boosted camera, then I know not expect anything more from EF lenses too. If on the other hand, the 5D Mark V brings some new/never-seen-before-but-on-patents features that make you think "waouh, this really makes DSLR compelling again", then long live the EF lenses too.

BTW, I really think that EF zooms are quite nice. All of them are rather new or recently updated. Primes, well... I'm glad we had the 35 and 85 f/1.4, but that's basically it in terms of waouh lenses. Where's the 50mm f/1.4 L and 135mm f/2.0 L IS?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

I think many here are in denial. Sony is very competitive with their mirror less cameras. Fast, silent and light.
The Canon R is currently not an alternative for the pro line of EF, they need the lens line up first. Canon now (inadvertently?) announced they will put their lens development 100% on the R mount.
Go figure.

What is the pro line of EF? If you mean the big whites, then Canon doesn't need to release them for the R system. Those shooting those lenses will buy the 1D X for sure. If there's a market Canon has no need to hurry to get in, it's the mirrorless version of the 1DX III / D6.

But if pro line means L to you and the 50, 85, 15-35 R lenses are not pro enough, then I don't know what to say...

Upvote 0
What is the pro line of EF? If you mean the big whites, then Canon doesn't need to release them for the R system. Those shooting those lenses will buy the 1D X for sure.
In denial? There is competition for the 1DX in the mrirorless segment. I mean the lenses sports photographers use, so mainly the 300 2.8 and the 400 2.8. Canon is now going to focus on the R lenses, so I assume they are going to make these, before announcing a high speed, light and weather sealed top camera in the R series aimed at professionals.

Upvote 0
The quote from Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe, earlier this month is “As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system. To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

Which means Canon thinks the profits are in RF lenses, but will put R&D resources in EF if proven otherwise.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

In denial? There is competition for the 1DX in the mrirorless segment. I mean the lenses sports photographers use, so mainly the 300 2.8 and the 400 2.8. Canon is now going to focus on the R lenses, so I assume they are going to make these, before announcing a high speed, light and weather sealed top camera in the R series aimed at professionals.
Not in denial at all. But as Canon has released a new 1D X Mark III, they're clearly saying that what you call pro lenses are EF at the moment. Otherwise, they would have made an A9 equivalent, not a new 1D X Mark III. It's blatantly obvious that hardcore/olympics photographers that currently use the 1D X II or D5 will be the last to switch to mirrorless. It only makes sense to do the same for lenses.

BTW, for many people, "pro lenses" means L lenses, not only the L whites

Upvote 0