Will new 1d Mark IVs drop in price come March?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wingspan

Hello gents,

I love the specs on the new 1dx but my fav lens is the 16-35mm on a 1.3x sensor. Since I already have a ff camera and will update to its successor the mark III whenever it comes out, I need to upgrade to the mark IV from its predecessor. I will buy the mark IV new but am wondering if the price will go down once the 1dx is out in March. Any ideas? I remember the price of the mark III dropping like a stone when IV came out but I suspect a lot of that was because the III was viewed as somewhat flawed model or at least perceived so by many. But I don't know really.

So, if price of the IV won't come down, I better sell my III asap before the market is somewhat flooded with used IVs.

The others guys are going through this next month so maybe that could be a good indicator?

Your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.

S

smirkypants

dolina said:
Once the 1DX comes out Canon will stop production of the 1D4. So any discounts will be made if the item does not move within 1-2 months after the 1DX starts shipping in April.
I think in the January issue of Advanced Photography (A UK Mag), when discussing the 1Dx a Canon rep said that the 1D4 was not being discontinued.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
dolina said:
Once the 1DX comes out Canon will stop production of the 1D4. So any discounts will be made if the item does not move within 1-2 months after the 1DX starts shipping in April.
I think in the January issue of Advanced Photography (A UK Mag), when discussing the 1Dx a Canon rep said that the 1D4 was not being discontinued.
In a press release relating to the 1DX Canon stated that they will be dedicating their 7,000/month capacity to the 1DX.

Upvote 0
I agree with spokane, i've been looking out for a good priced 1D4 and the cheapest they ever got to was about 1 week before the 1Dx got anounced and ever since the prices used went up, cheapest i've seen is new for about 4k out of hong kong. I like you absolutely love the APS-H with 16-35 combo especially when i have the 70-200 f2.8 on a 5D2 along side.

and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
and as an aside i'm not going to bother selling my mk3 i have been wanting a dedicated Infrared camera for a while so that baby is going in for a makeover and will become IR only that way i dont have to worry about trying to sell it and losing lots of money on it.

Are you joking or just crazy? What advantages would a 1D series have over a basic 'Rebel' as an IR converted camera? In the UK, MPB Photographic are selling used 1D MkIIIs at £1379 and an IR converted 550D at £519. I know what I'd do...

Upvote 0
traveller said:
wickidwombat said:

Are you joking or just crazy? What advantages would a 1D series have over a basic 'Rebel' as an IR converted camera? In the UK, MPB Photographic are selling used 1D MkIIIs at £1379 and an IR converted 550D at £519. I know what I'd do...
Um... how can you compare a rebel to a 1D

Weather proof
Autofocus
AF micro adjust
better IQ than a rebel
AF at f8

hows that for starters?

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

traveller said:
wickidwombat said:

Why would anyone buy a 1series body - because they are the bes!

Thank you for cheering my day up ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.
i certainly hope you are right

A bit different this time as there seems to be no direct (1.3) replacement for the 1D4, so I would guess there ill be a queue of wildlife and sports shooters wanting one

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:
Well, did anybody buy a a new Mark III as the IV was coming out? That I imagine would be a good indicator as to wether this thing is going to go on sale anytime soon. Thanks again.

A bit different this time as there seems to be no direct (1.3) replacement for the 1D4, so I would guess there ill be a queue of wildlife and sports shooters wanting one

+1

Do you think that the price of used 1Ds mkIII will not drop much as it has the AF at f/8 advantage compare to the 1D X?

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

marinien said:
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
Wingspan said:

+1

Do you think that the price of used 1Ds mkIII will not drop much as it has the AF at f/8 advantage compare to the 1D X?

I think if anything the price of the 1D4 will stay strong as the 1DX alternative will be much more expensive

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.