Will Sigma add a sibling to 24-35 f2 like they did with the 18-35 & 50-100 1.8?

First thread here!

I wonder if I'm in the extreme minority here but I'd love to see Sigma add a 50-85mm f2 zoom to pair with the 24-35 f2, in the same way they now have the 50-100 alongside the 18-35 1.8 for APS-C.

What focal length would you want to see in a second FF f2 zoom from Sigma bearing in mind weight and presumably lacking IS based on all the other Art lenses.

Do you think this is a realistic thing Sigma might do in the near future?

I believe Sigma has prototypes of full frame lenses, something like 50-85mm F2, or 50-80mm F2.
Maybe the sales of the 24-35mm Art were not as good as we expected?

I wonder that too, might be hard to justify putting into production so would be low on their priorities compared to getting more standard lenses out like 70-200 2.8 and f4.

But it would be a great option for people like myself who feel more comfortable with the flexibility and convenience of a zoom but would like some of the fast aperture benefits of primes.

Upvote 0
my guess is that, if sigma do make a 50-100 equivalent for FF, it will most likely start at 75-80mm and go all the way up further to 120 maybe even 135mm, with an f2 aperture, because that would be the equivalent short tele/portrait lens for full frame

I’ve been thinking through the focal range choices quite a lot, the thing that makes me think they wouldn’t go up so high as 85-135 f2 is it encroaches on the 135 f1.8, and the size and weight would be even worse than the typical telephoto art lenses.

One thing to consider is the 18-35 and 50-100 both have approximately 2x zoom range, the 24-35 is right around 1.45x so I’d imagine they’d want to keep it similar.

The other thing I was considering, from sigma’s point of view is the importance of the focal range in how it comes across to the consumer. For instance, 60-85mm might subconsciously ‘seem’ less of a zoom range compared to 55-80mm for instance, only marginally so but it’s still a factor.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
I’ve been thinking through the focal range choices quite a lot, the thing that makes me think they wouldn’t go up so high as 85-135 f2 is it encroaches on the 135 f1.8, and the size and weight would be even worse than the typical telephoto art lenses.

One thing to consider is the 18-35 and 50-100 both have approximately 2x zoom range, the 24-35 is right around 1.45x so I’d imagine they’d want to keep it similar.

The other thing I was considering, from sigma’s point of view is the importance of the focal range in how it comes across to the consumer. For instance, 60-85mm might subconsciously ‘seem’ less of a zoom range compared to 55-80mm for instance, only marginally so but it’s still a factor.

the 24-35 was intended to replace 3 primes for full frame cameras: 24, 28 and 35mm
if they make a longer zoom faster than 2.8 it will be intended to replace another set of 3 primes in the portrait range: 85, 105 and 135

going lower than 85 doesn't really make sense because there isn't that much competition in the 50-85 range...you only have a few macro lenses

but i'm guessing sigma won't make this kind of lens as it will be huge and expensive and won't sell that good...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I believe Sigma has prototypes of full frame lenses, something like 50-85mm F2, or 50-80mm F2.
Maybe the sales of the 24-35mm Art were not as good as we expected?
Sorry, but I can't imagine Sigma - a profit company- developing lenses for just a handful of potential customers.
It is an absolute necessity for a sound company to amortize quickly its production.
This would never be the case with such an "exotic" lens.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I can't imagine Sigma - a profit company- developing lenses for just a handful of potential customers.
It is an absolute necessity for a sound company to amortize quickly its production.
This would never be the case with such an "exotic" lens.

What’s so different about this kind of lens to the 24-35?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
What’s so different about this kind of lens to the 24-35?
1: the 24 - 35 replaces 3 primes, which together would cost at least 1500 $
2: a 50 - 85 replaces 2 inexpensive yet optically excellent Canon primes (1,8/50 & 2/100 mm), together about 600 $
3: the 50 - 85 would be a heavy brick, possibly with the Sigma -typical focusing issues
4: there must be a reason why neither Canon, nor Nikon, nor sony offer such a lens, but zooms covering wide angle and mild tele
5: but maybe I'm wrong...

Last edited:
Upvote 0