Wireless flash setup. Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

I'm not up on Alien Bees either, but I do as well use the Pixel King wireless radio triggers on my Canon 50d. I use them with 2 Nissin Di-866 pro flashes in Hi-speed sync and E-TTL. I have never used them in Manual Mode. But the Trx/Rcvr set does come with cords to hook up to studio lights. I purchased mine thru Cowboy Studio . com. So it "should" all work with everything in manual mode. I hope this helps a little ?

Upvote 0
D_Rochat said:
I know nothing about Alien Bee lights, so no comment there. I do however use Speedlites with Pixel King ETTL Triggers and I'm happy with them. There are cheaper alternatives, but I wanted the use of ETTL without a hefty price tag. I got mine off of ebay and from Hong Kong.

http://www.pixelhk.com/proshow.aspx?id=101

+1 I don't own but have used Pixel Kings and they are really good and a great affordable option.

That said, I read on a German forum that there are some issues with the Mark III and Pixel Kings, but got this response from Pixel HK. I assume they mean they have tested it and it works fine!?

Can anyone confirm this?

Hello,

It is ok.

Thanks and best regards!
Pixel Enterprise Limited

--------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I was wandering if you can tell me when the Canon EOS 5D Mark III will be supported by Pixel King (I imagine, with a firmware update)?

Regards,

Scott
Not the most in-depth of responses. :p

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
As you already have Alien Bees, check out the Paul C Buff system.
http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php
http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php

I use 4 PCB Einsteins which I control remotely with Cyber Commander and Cyber Sync hardware. The Cyber Commander gives full control over PCB lights, and a degree of control over non-PCB lights, including speedlights. The CC can control up to 16 lights. If you end up expanding on your Alien Bees and pick up a couple of Einsteins, you'll be a happy camper. They're brilliant... and about the price of a pre-owned 580exII. Amazing.

I'm not sure if the 430ex or 580ex have external plugs to accept the likes of radio receivers but the 580exII does. Someone may correct me on this.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
check out the cactus v5 triggers too. They are pretty damn cheap and so far have not failed on me at all. At like $39 each or $59 for a set of 2, they give quite the bang for the buck!

Also, for your mkiii, you may want to pick up a 600RT or the new lower model RT flash because the AF assist beam on the older flashes won't recognize the new 61pt AF system in the mkiii

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
Also, for your mkiii, you may want to pick up a 600RT or the new lower model RT flash because the AF assist beam on the older flashes won't recognize the new 61pt AF system in the mkiii

... meaning the old flashes won't af assist with the 5d3 at all, or not just with some af point configurations?

Upvote 0
C

Canon Cliff

AdamJ said:
Yongnuo 603's are the best bang for your buck. You can get four for $60 on Ebay. They are transceivers so you can use any of them interchangeably as transmitters or receivers. They can also act as a remote shutter release.

+1 for the yongnuo 603's

I use these triggers with x 2 580 exii and x 2 430 exii for a mobile studio set up and for of camera creative lighting. They are fairly well made and work without missing a beat! They dont have ettl but i use a sekonic 307s to set them up in a studio environment atleast. I dont think you can go wrong with these considering the price you can get them for.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Since you're shooting Alien Bees, it's a no-brainer. CyberSync all the way.

You can get a trigger to fire (and meter) other lights, but you'll have complete control over your Paul C Buff lights -- power in 1/10 stop increments, linked or independent control of the modelling lamps, bracket control of a group of lights, reeadout of color temperature and flash duration, the works.

b&

Upvote 0
pwp said:
As you already have Alien Bees, check out the Paul C Buff system.
http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php
http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php

I use 4 PCB Einsteins which I control remotely with Cyber Commander and Cyber Sync hardware. The Cyber Commander gives full control over PCB lights, and a degree of control over non-PCB lights, including speedlights. The CC can control up to 16 lights. If you end up expanding on your Alien Bees and pick up a couple of Einsteins, you'll be a happy camper. They're brilliant... and about the price of a pre-owned 580exII. Amazing.

I'm not sure if the 430ex or 580ex have external plugs to accept the likes of radio receivers but the 580exII does. Someone may correct me on this.

Paul Wright

Paul,
I just purchased 2 Einsteins, CC and the CyberSync transmitters and cannot get them to fire when pressing the shutter release on my camera. They do test fire with the CC. I am shooting with a Canon 6d, which has no PC synced port, so I have the CC on the hotshoe. Is there something I need to setup on the camera flash setting? Baffled in Boulder!
cheers,
dawg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.