Wooden Canoes

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
We just suffered through the coldest February on record and the ice is 40 inches thick out back.... it has been 2 1/2 months since the temperature was above freezing and I am getting restless for spring and want to go paddling.... so I thought I would start a thread on wooden canoes....

To start it off, here is the oldest one of the fleet... an 1895 Walter Dean racing canoe

Attachments

• PA090021.JPG
    PA090021.JPG
    788.7 KB · Views: 336

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
You are very lucky to be the temporary custodian of such a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I bet the varnish work keeps you busy when you can't get it on the water.
Owner of a 1980's GRP canoe made by a British Hovercraft Apprentice. It's a bit like a supertanker, heavy, goes well in a straight line but won't turn in less than a lake!

Cheers, Graham.

Don Haines said:
We just suffered through the coldest February on record and the ice is 40 inches thick out back.... it has been 2 1/2 months since the temperature was above freezing and I am getting restless for spring and want to go paddling.... so I thought I would start a thread on wooden canoes....

To start it off, here is the oldest one of the fleet... an 1895 Walter Dean racing canoe

Upvote 0