Would a tilt-shift EF to RF lens adapter be possible?

ColinJR

EOS-R
Nov 27, 2018
robertsonrep.com
It's an old link, but I recently came upon this article about a Canon patent of a tilt-shift adapter. Now that the RF mount is a thing, it makes me wonder what, if anything, would hold them back from releasing such an adapter for RF now?

Adding shift capabilities to any EF lens is very appealing, especially with a good wide-angle zoom, especially if AF works too.

Kit.

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 25, 2011
Tilt-shift needs lenses with the image circle considerably larger than the sensor. It is possible, though, to get some benefits of it with EF lenses on APS-C cameras (EOS M series, for example).

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
.....it makes me wonder what, if anything, would hold them back from releasing such an adapter for RF now?

Adding shift capabilities to any EF lens is very appealing, especially with a good wide-angle zoom, especially if AF works too.
Yes, the simple fact that very few EF lenses apart from the current TS-E's have an image circle projection that would cover the corners of a 135 format sensor once you applied any tilt or shift!

ColinJR

EOS-R
Nov 27, 2018
robertsonrep.com
Seeing as how most of Canon's TS-E lenses have a large enough image circle for the "medium format" sensor in the Fuji GFX, I wouldn't be surprised if some of Canon's regular primes also had a large enough image circle... An adapter + primes would be considerably less expensive than going all in on the TS-E lenses (also, sigh, a reason why they may not make such an adapter).

The existence of such an adapter might be reason to pick up an M camera, however.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
bly less expensive than going all in on the TS-E lenses (also, sigh, a reason why they may not make such an adapter).

The existence of such an adapter might be reason to pick up an M camera, however.
I would not recommend a EF-RF adapter for a M camera, its not going to fit.