Would you buy more EF lenses if new FF mirrorless uses a new lens mount?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
YuengLinger said:
...Unfocused, I can see that you don't like the speculation, that you might think some conjecture is too far fetched. Fine. But why are you so clearly angry about asking what others will do if EF is slated to be phased out? Why even get involved in a thread you think is not worth your time? Do you have a website that depends on click-through to EF lenses???

I simply don't suffer foolish threads gladly. I have no problem discussing any number of topics, but prefer to focus on ones that have a rational basis.

This thread is nothing more than an offshoot of the other thread you started, that suggested that by introducing new EF lenses, Canon was somehow setting the stage to abandon EF lenses. I'm still scratching my head over those mental gymnastics.

Now you've taken the next leap and seems to be suggesting that others should share your unfounded fears about the future of EF lenses.

I don't get why you feel compelled to ask the same question in multiple ways and then instead of accepting people's answers, you keep hanging on to your irrational worries. Starting multiple threads covering the same topic and then holding on to a viewpoint that others have clearly explained is irrational, is a form of trolling.

I don't think you mean it that way, but that's the effect and I'm not a fan of trolling.

I'd suggest you read and take to heart dak723's excellent response:
dak723 said:
Good grief! Another PANIC thread.

Repeat after me:

Canon will continue to make DSLRs and EF lenses for many years to come.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
unfocused said:
YuengLinger said:
...Unfocused, I can see that you don't like the speculation, that you might think some conjecture is too far fetched. Fine. But why are you so clearly angry about asking what others will do if EF is slated to be phased out? Why even get involved in a thread you think is not worth your time? Do you have a website that depends on click-through to EF lenses???

I simply don't suffer foolish threads gladly. I have no problem discussing any number of topics, but prefer to focus on ones that have a rational basis.

This thread is nothing more than an offshoot of the other thread you started, that suggested that by introducing new EF lenses, Canon was somehow setting the stage to abandon EF lenses. I'm still scratching my head over those mental gymnastics.

Now you've taken the next leap and seems to be suggesting that others should share your unfounded fears about the future of EF lenses.

I don't get why you feel compelled to ask the same question in multiple ways and then instead of accepting people's answers, you keep hanging on to your irrational worries. Starting multiple threads covering the same topic and then holding on to a viewpoint that others have clearly explained is irrational, is a form of trolling.

I don't think you mean it that way, but that's the effect and I'm not a fan of trolling.

I'd suggest you read and take to heart dak723's excellent response:
dak723 said:
Good grief! Another PANIC thread.

Repeat after me:

I think readers will see that I'm genuinely seeking a discussion about EF being replaced. I own and use Canon dSLR gear. Not a concern to you? Don't care for my style? Fine. There are plenty of other topics to choose!

Upvote 0

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
[/quote]

I think readers will see that I'm genuinely seeking a discussion about EF being replaced. I own and use Canon dSLR gear. Not a concern to you? Don't care for my style? Fine. But you are the only one posting insults like a troll in this thread. Get over yourself already.
[/quote]

I have been though fl to fd lens mounts thinking fd lens will not change but then the t80 happed with its primitive auto focus system still have the body and the lens. but I kept on using my ftb-n and ae1 program well into the 2000 with a 28 2.8 fd 50 1.8 plus 50 1.4 fd mounts 85 1.8 fd 135 3.5 fd lens no zooms manual focus one autowinder a2.if canon is moving on to a new mount mirrorless so be it when its time and when I am ready I will move to the new mount but my ef lens will work along side me until then. yes I plan on buying new ef lens. the 85 1.4 the 50 1.4 a new 70-200 2.8 are all on my short list. the glass are tools that make my photos mine. mounts well they can change. enjoy your art now and the advances in technology can wait.

joe

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I have an M5, and found that I have only bought one EF-M lens, if thats any use data wise. The size difference isnt big enough to get something that only works on the m5, and they tend to cost more, I find EF-S lenses and EF lenses a better buy overall for my needs with it.

For a FF, I would do the same, unless there was some kind of massive increase in quality in some way - part of the appeal of a Canon FF mirrorless would have to be good compatibility, or lower cost, otherwise theres no compelling reason other than familiarity (to me at least) over considering a switch to another brand, eg Sony.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Kit. said:
YuengLinger said:
The topic of the thread is relevant and current.
So, are you buying FF lenses or not?

Which lens would you buy next if a new FF mirrorless uses the EF lens mount?

I've asked the question to reach out to other Canon shooters to get their thoughts because there are a couple of lenses I've been wanting to get. One would be a new tilt-shift, though I haven't decided on the best focal length. I'd love to see Canon come out with a fantastic ef 50mm f/1.2 II. And then a big white is in the mix.

The one I'd really put to good, heavy use is the 50mm, so that's the top of the list.

But I do want to see how the new mount plays out, get some sense of the direction and commitment Canon has in mind for FF mirrorless. If Canon seems to take a long pause releasing new EF lenses after a non-EF FF mirrorless is announced, that would be telling.

We'll know soon whether mirrorless FF has EF!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Kit. said:
So, are you buying FF lenses or not?

Which lens would you buy next if a new FF mirrorless uses the EF lens mount?
I've asked the question to reach out to other Canon shooters to get their thoughts because there are a couple of lenses I've been wanting to get. One would be a new tilt-shift,
Tilt-shifts are expensive niche lenses that get little if any benefit from a shorter flange distance. It's highly unlikely that Canon will spend money redesigning them for a new mount any time soon.

YuengLinger said:
though I haven't decided on the best focal length.
The focal length depends on what you are going to use it for.

YuengLinger said:
I'd love to see Canon come out with a fantastic ef 50mm f/1.2 II.
Then you need to wait, no matter which mount the new FF mirrorless uses.

YuengLinger said:
And then a big white is in the mix.
As Canon is currently updating those, it expects them to sell well in EF mount version. Which means that:

1. Canon expects them to work well on a body with the new lens mount; or
2. Canon expects little demand in big whites for bodies with the new lens mount; or
3. Canon doesn't want to make a new lens mount.

In any case, you can safely buy them.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neonlight said:
I could be wrong of course, but I think Canon's FF MILC will be EF, with body similar size to 5D etc.
Has to be, or it may hasten those wanting to jump ship to S*** or N****.

I'd like to believe this, but apparently the new Nikon FF will have a new mount. So Nikon is taking the chance of losing customers "wanting to jump ship" too. It could be an engineering issue. We are in a time of transition.

If an adapter is needed, would Canon bundle it to further encourage current EF quiver owners?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
YuengLinger said:
I'd like to believe this, but apparently the new Nikon FF will have a new mount. So Nikon is taking the chance of losing customers "wanting to jump ship" too. It could be an engineering issue. We are in a time of transition.
Actually, Nikon is catching up here. Canon got rid of its screwdriver autofocus mount and moved to a wider mount throat 30 years ago.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Antono Refa said:
YuengLinger said:
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?
If the sun would never rise again, would you still buy sunglasses?

Of course.

1cts7f.jpg

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
So, the consensus seems to be that Canon will release a FF mirrorless with a new mount, but that an adapter will be an attractive enough compromise to keep using EF lenses.

And I'm hearing that Canon will keep two lines of FF cameras going for a very long time, dSLR and mirrorless, so the EF lenses will continue to be a good current investment.

But if they make a FF that is good enough to consistently compete against Sony and Nikon, wouldn't a lot of customers yearn for the mirrorless and want native-mount lenses for it? On the other hand, if the mirrorless is disappointing compared to Sony or Nikon, but can't use EF lenses, there will be a lot of thoughts about switching brands.

Time frame? No idea. But at some point, and I'm wildly guessing here, less than 10 years, EF is going to be adapter only on all but discontinued bodies. Somebody is going to be left holding a bag full of EF lenses. For most people, that is too far away to worry about, even if the new mirrorless bodies definitely have a new mount.

We can have faith that Canon has figured out how to make the glide-path safe and profitable.

Interesting times.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Kit. said:
YuengLinger said:
So, the consensus seems to be that Canon will release a FF mirrorless with a new mount,
No, there is no such consensus.

Neither is there a consensus that Canon will stop producing new SLRs.

I should have said, regarding a new mount, "within this thread." I don't think many posts I've read here say Canon is not going to have a new mount, but that the new mount won't affect the longevity of EF lenses.

AS for "stop producing new SLRs," I didn't make such a claim above; in fact, I said the consensus seems to be that Canon will keep making dSLRs and mirrorless FF together for a very long time. (Though I don't agree with that, unless 5-7 years is a very long time.)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
YuengLinger said:
Kit. said:
YuengLinger said:
So, the consensus seems to be that Canon will release a FF mirrorless with a new mount,
No, there is no such consensus.

Neither is there a consensus that Canon will stop producing new SLRs.

I should have said, regarding a new mount, "within this thread." I don't think many posts I've read here say Canon is not going to have a new mount, but that the new mount won't affect the longevity of EF lenses.

AS for "stop producing new SLRs," I didn't make such a claim above; in fact, I said the consensus seems to be that Canon will keep making dSLRs and mirrorless FF together for a very long time. (Though I don't agree with that, unless 5-7 years is a very long time.)

CR guy has posted a couple of times now that his sources have told him that it's some kind of slick or sexy solution to deal with EF.

That would imply to me that there is likely a new/hybrid mount that is either straight-on compatible (can mount EF directly) or has some kind of cool, non-traditional adapter solution. Because sticking an adapter to increase FFD onto the body is about the furthest thing from sexy.

Upvote 0