Would you buy more EF lenses if new FF mirrorless uses a new lens mount?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?
Maybe wait a while to see how things play out?
Maybe wait for an adapter to be reviewed and have some time in the field?

Or do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neuroanatomist said:
YuengLinger said:
Or do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

Simply looking at the EOS M series' effect (or rather, lack thereof) on Canon's APS-C DSLR lineup provides the answer to that question.

The EOS M, in my opinion, is not even a pro-sumer camera. Most APS-C lenses are not equal in quality or price to L series lenses. Yes, we can base some assumptions on the this comparison, but not many, and not especially good for forecasting.

I'd like to see sales figures for the EOS M compared to total Canon dSLR sales. I've never seen one in the wild, despite living in a town with many enthusiasts. Are sales large enough to affect much of anything yet?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
As long as you have a camera with an EF mount, you can use EF lenses, Canon is not going to stop making cameras with EF mounts any time soon, and there is nothing that says you can't keep using the camera you have Almost certainly you would be able to use EF lenses with an adapter on a mirrorless camera with a new mount.

Either you have a use for a new lens or you don't. If you do have a use for a new lens, then why not go ahead and get it? (Over the years, it has gotten harder and harder to convince my self that a new lens would be of any use to me.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:
The EOS M, in my opinion, is not even a pro-sumer camera. Most APS-C lenses are not equal in quality or price to L series lenses. Yes, we can base some assumptions on the this comparison, but not many, and not especially good for forecasting.

I'd like to see sales figures for the EOS M compared to total Canon dSLR sales. I've never seen one in the wild, despite living in a town with many enthusiasts. Are sales large enough to affect much of anything yet?

Canon is #2 in global MILC sales. Behind only Sony, ahead of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. That's certainly 'large enough to affect' the market.

The fact is, despite the market success of the M line, Canon has not slowed down the APS-C DSLR line (if anything, they've added more segments), nor slowed the release of EF-S lenses (which was never very fast-paced to begin with).

The realities are that DSLRs comprise ~63% of the ILC market, and that even though APS-C ILC sales far outnumber FF ILC sales, Canon sells more FF ILCs than anyone else (and without a FF MILC).

Adding up all those facts yields the logical conclusion that a Canon FF MILC will have no major impact on their DLSR lineup for several years.

Upvote 0
It depends on what lenses they would release. If they would release a new 50/1.2 IS in the new mount only, I would probably buy it. If the same lens would be released in both the new mount and in EF, and that difference in performance with a converter would be small, I would probably buy it in EF configuration. I still have DSLRs, and I probably will use them for at least 5-10 years more. And since I at times use my old 1V for black and white film photography, I would be happy to see new modern lenses that could be used on my older cameras.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:

Maybe you could say this, in the years to come FF mirrorless will have a significant impact on the dSLR line up.

But really this doesn't matter to Canon. If Canon loose a dSLR sale to someone choosing a Canon FF mirrorless it would be a lateral move. Canon still sells 1 camera.

And what does it matter to us the consumer?
Fear is all, are we afraid this new technology will leave us with thousands of dollars of obsolete glass?
Are we afraid a new mount on a mirrorless will force us to buy new lenses?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
YuengLinger said:
...do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

That is your answer.

You can lock the thread now. Let's not waste time on irrational fears. Take a Xanax and relax.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Good grief! Another PANIC thread.

Repeat after me:

Canon will continue to make DSLRs and EF lenses for many years to come.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?
Maybe wait a while to see how things play out?
Maybe wait for an adapter to be reviewed and have some time in the field?

Probably but i'm in no hurry to purchase a mirrorless camera, but if it does eventually come down to that I would probably take the opportunity to switch to Nikon over switching Canon mounts.

Upvote 0
I will definitely buy EF(s) lenses if there are interesting offers like:

* EF-S 20-60 4.0 IS with good "macro", distance scale and without focus by wire
* EF 40-200 4.0 L IS USM
* sth. like EF 50 1.4 IS USM

Why? After using and liking the M50 for a lot of hours I really like the mirrorless concepts but I also see its limitations. SLR concepts will be there at least for 10 years maybe longer. And if the hybrids are coming (switchable / overlayable EVF-OVF) EF will maybe live longer than 20 years.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
unfocused said:
YuengLinger said:
...do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

That is your answer.

You can lock the thread now. Let's not waste time on irrational fears. Take a Xanax and relax.

The topic of the thread is relevant and current. Asking others in a Canon rumors forum how they would respond to a new mount on a FF mirrorless camera is straightforward. Still not sure why the topic agitates you as much as it does.

Personally, I'd choose letting things shake out a bit, having time for a consensus to form on the performance of lenses with an adapter.

Whether I'd buy the new mirrorless and native lenses PLUS hang onto dSLR bodies, that's a whole other thread. ::)

The common sense expectation is that Canon is going to make a gradual transition--not discontinue dSLR's right away. But with so many photographers other than hobbyists and working professionals happily using smartphones and other alternatives far easier to carry around than a 5DIV, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND a FF mirrorless line and remain profitable? (Ok, here comes the core of members who remind us weekly that Canon is number one and will always be so. :D )

Unfocused, I can see that you don't like the speculation, that you might think some conjecture is too far fetched. Fine. But why are you so clearly angry about asking what others will do if EF is slated to be phased out? Why even get involved in a thread you think is not worth your time? Do you have a website that depends on click-through to EF lenses???

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
YuengLinger said:
The common sense expectation is that Canon is going to make a gradual transition--not discontinue dSLR's right away. But with so many photographers other than hobbyists and working professionals happily using smartphones and other alternatives far easier to carry around than a 5DIV, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND a FF mirrorless line and remain profitable? (Ok, here comes the core of members who remind us weekly that Canon is number one and will always be so. :D )

I think the first issue there is whether DSLRs are going to be discontinued at any point in the foreseeable future. I'm not convinced that will necessarily happen. Obviously some people are very excited about FF mirrorless but the question is what proportion of the market do those people represent? For all the hype around Sony, from what I understand of the sales figures Sony FF mirrorless hasn't grabbed that much market share despite being the only player on the market for a few years now. Time will tell but at this point I am just not excited about the idea of FF mirrorless. Sure it has its advantages but it has its disadvantages too - so as usual it's a case of weighing the set of trade offs involved in any piece of gear and deciding if you prefer that set of trade offs to the trade offs involved in the alternatives. Maybe something will come out (from Canon or Sony or someone else) which wows me and I'll change my mind, but so far I prefer the set of trade offs involved in a DSLR.

If Canon releases a FF mirrorless with a new mount so it requires an adapter to use EF lenses, it will be a(nother) reason weighing against me buying a FF mirrorless (it may not be a major factor if there is a good adapter, but I'd prefer not to have to worry about one).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:
But with so many photographers other than hobbyists and working professionals happily using smartphones and other alternatives far easier to carry around than a 5DIV, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND a FF mirrorless line and remain profitable?

As already stated, APS-C sales/revenues far exceed FF sales/revenues. So, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND an APS-C mirrorless line and remain profitable? Six years and counting, with no end in sight.

Funny thing about facts...ignoring them doesn't make them go away.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neuroanatomist said:
YuengLinger said:
But with so many photographers other than hobbyists and working professionals happily using smartphones and other alternatives far easier to carry around than a 5DIV, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND a FF mirrorless line and remain profitable?

As already stated, APS-C sales/revenues far exceed FF sales/revenues. So, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND an APS-C mirrorless line and remain profitable? Six years and counting, with no end in sight.

Funny thing about facts...ignoring them doesn't make them go away.

I do hope your are right. Choice is always great for consumers. Personally, until I'm convinced an EVF works better, I'd rather stick with the dSLR. Otherwise I see no reason to not be open to going all mirrorless--even if it means using an adapter on current EF lenses. But, as said earlier, I wouldn't be an early adopter.

Upvote 0