Wrapping a lens.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Nope, not wrapping as in parcel, vinyl wrapping like for a car?
I have a 600 L IS and for this I have a camouflage neoprene lens cover, problem is it is thick and gets mangled by the lens cap (the big hood type) unless I take extreme measures, tucking it in whilst springing the cap open, plus some of the other pieces do not fit great, the graceful curves of the barrel cause the neoprene to creep over time.
So, thinking aloud I was wondering on thoughts about wrapping with car graphic vinyl, yes it is available in real tree camo!! :unsure: :unsure:
I have seen cars wrapped and the vinyl will take curves tighter than on those on the lens with heat, but would you risk the possibility of locally heating your big white to 40-50°C whilst softening the vinyl wrap to allow the curves to be followed?
Then there is the removal process, I believe it is possible to remove without leaving glue residue, but again it involves heat! Hmmm I think I’m already talking myself out of going this route!
I’m still open for the thoughts of others on this, please tell me why I should or should not do it?

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.
Nope, not wrapping as in parcel, vinyl wrapping like for a car?
I have a 600 L IS and for this I have a camouflage neoprene lens cover, problem is it is thick and gets mangled by the lens cap (the big hood type) unless I take extreme measures, tucking it in whilst springing the cap open, plus some of the other pieces do not fit great, the graceful curves of the barrel cause the neoprene to creep over time.
So, thinking aloud I was wondering on thoughts about wrapping with car graphic vinyl, yes it is available in real tree camo!! :unsure: :unsure:
I have seen cars wrapped and the vinyl will take curves tighter than on those on the lens with heat, but would you risk the possibility of locally heating your big white to 40-50°C whilst softening the vinyl wrap to allow the curves to be followed?
Then there is the removal process, I believe it is possible to remove without leaving glue residue, but again it involves heat! Hmmm I think I’m already talking myself out of going this route!
I’m still open for the thoughts of others on this, please tell me why I should or should not do it?

Cheers, Graham.
I once saw on sale on eBay a big white that had been sprayed with green and brown etc paint to camouflage it. The neoprene rubber does get loose with age on the sloping bits.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Benny.
I have one like that already, the extra thickness is what causes the problem with the hood / lens cap fitment, mine was a cheaper one, only 2mm thick, can’t imagine trying to deal with another 2mm on the diameter that the 3mm thick neoprene would give!
I suppose it might be the fact that mine was a cheaper one that is the reason it moves a bit!

Cheers, Graham.

There are kits from Band H which are ready made for your lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
I have seen a couple of pictures of cameras and lenses that have been spray painted in various colour schemes, not something I feel comfortable doing despite having an ace painter in the workshop next to mine! :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.

I once saw on sale on eBay a big white that had been sprayed with green and brown etc paint to camouflage it. The neoprene rubber does get loose with age on the sloping bits.

Upvote 0