Write through cache for Windows 10

My use case:
I have quite large collection of photos (2TB+) in single Lightroom catalog. I don't access many of those photos but still want to have search capability over their metadata. I usually access only few last collections.

My HW:
I'm considering going laptop only and using NAS or DAS as the main storage for photos as there is no way I could get all of them to affordable laptop.

My question:
Is there a solution which would work like a write through cache on the laptop and allow me to access full photos from the cache while not connected to NAS/DAS?

It means that laptop will have specified size of disk space - eg. 128GB for storing photos locally. When I import new photos, they will be loaded to the cache (deleting least recently used photos to make space) and simultaneously to NAS / DAS. When I open a photo for edit, it will read it from the cache if available (not going to NAS/DAS) or read it from NAS/DAS storing it in the cache (again making space if necessary).

The cache must be accessible while not connected to NAS/DAS - that is one of the main reasons I want this solution and it must be somewhat transparent to Lightroom.

Bonus points, if I can import to cache when not connected to NAS/DAS and synchronization happens when I connect NAS/DAS while making sure that it will not allow me import more when cache is full of photos which haven't been yet synchronized.

So what I generally want is something like one drive client for my own NAS/DAS ;)

Just to point out. I know about Smart previews and they are my backup option or something to use together with cache.

My big problem with smart previews is that they lock me to Lightroom only workflow when I'm not connected to NAS/DAS, they are not that useful for fine spot removal and they are not providing facility to transparent import (bonus feature). They are still good enough for a lot of what I want to do, but I would like to go step further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0