X-Rite Password and Canon Digital Photo Professional

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com
Hi everyone, my workflow like many others I'm sure changes over time.

In the past I used to use Canon's EOS software to download my photos (still do, actually) and have it place them in specific folders.

1) I then open the RAW files up in Adobe Bridge.
2) I would take a photo of my X-Rite Passport with the subject in view, open it in ACR, save as DNG, open the DNG in X-Rite's software and it creates a color profile. I would then load that color profile in ACR for those sets of photos. It does an excellent job there.

Now, after downloading the photos in Canon EOS

1) I open the photos in Canon Digital Photo Professional and typically don't need to do any color balancing, etc as it tends to process or show it just as I'd want. I would adjust the exposure a tad, highlights, color etc. but what I use the most is the Lens Data tool, you select your Canon lens and it does goes through a process that sharpens that photo. I've compared sharpening processes in PS with this one and it just doesn't compare on the fine details when you zoom in.
2)Export to Photoshop from DPP, it copies over as a 16BIT TIFF and then I edit the photo, save as PSD, save as JPG.

The only downside to this new process is that it slows my editing time down a little but but also, I can't use the X Rite Color profile work flow.

Any ideas or suggestions? I don't plan on stopping the use of DPP as it does such a good job with the sharpening.