Yellowstone in Winter

Jun 11, 2013
Here is one that demonstrates the 600II + 2XIII can give decent results (IMO). 1Dx, 1/1250, f11, ISO 1600, DLO utilized in DPP4 + sharpening of 6, cropped to ca, 4500X3000 from full frame and then reduced for lower res JPEG. Lighting was perfect. However, this combo did not work well with backlighting and did struggle with AF at times.

Attachments

• DQ0R4065lores.JPG
    DQ0R4065lores.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
We started in Jackson Hole and entered the park from the south, stayed at Old Faithful one night, drove through the Haydn valley and then stayed at Mammoth Springs for 3 days of wolf hunting in the Lamar Valley. Great trip (went with our alumni association - organized by Orbridge) for all types of photography. Very little snow this year in the north of the park. You could shoot bighorn, elk, pronghorn and bison with modest focal lengths (new 100-400 would be perfect), but if you want to capture wolves, eagles, coyotes and foxes, take the longest lens you have - the Lamar valley is huge and you would be very lucky to get a decent shot with less than the 600 + 2X. Our closest wolf viewing was at a distance where the animal just about filled the frame at 1200mm. Per my first post, I wish I had a 7DMKII on this trip - there was plenty of light, so noise would not be a huge concern and I could have used more pixels on target.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
gbchriste said:
Vern said:
landscape was lovely too

That second frame is just begging for a B&W conversion.

How's this? I don't play with monochrome much, so suggestions welcomed. I just worked from the tone-mapped image from Photomatix single pic HDR conversion and then processed the TIFF file in DPP4 with the saturation at -5 and adjusted the contrast/brightness to suit me. There must be a route from the RAW file that avoids HDR tone-mapping to bring out the contrast as well - but I don't know it.

Attachments

• 201A9885_tonemapped_v3monochrome_lores.JPG
    201A9885_tonemapped_v3monochrome_lores.JPG
    779.1 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
Vern said:
gbchriste said:
Vern said:
landscape was lovely too

How's this? I don't play with monochrome much, so suggestions welcomed. I just worked from the tone-mapped image from Photomatix single pic HDR conversion and then processed the TIFF file in DPP4 with the saturation at -5 and adjusted the contrast/brightness to suit me. There must be a route from the RAW file that avoids HDR tone-mapping to bring out the contrast as well - but I don't know it.

Oh yes, very nice :)

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
gbchriste said:
Vern said:
landscape was lovely too

+1 this is great as color but a B&W version might be even more dramatic since the small blue streak of sky tends to pull you eye away from the rest of the image. The blue really doesn't offer anything of value IMHO.
Loved the series Vern, keep 'em coming.

Upvote 0