Yongnuo YN 50mm F/1.8 II

I am new to this forum and I am new to taking photo's with a DSLR camera. I have bought a second hand EOS 50D with only 3200 clicks. I have read a lot about photography and I practiced a lot. I have been taking photo's from the age of 12. Never wanted to know more about aperture, iso and shutter speed. Never thought of it. Now I have read more about it and I find it very interesting.

Last week I bought a Yongnuo YN 50mm F/1.8 II lens. I wanted to buy a 50 mm lens but I wanted it to be cheap. This lens is cheap, costing only 89 euro. The Canon version is 114 euro. Why not pay that extra more you think? I don't know. Somehow I wanted to try the Yongnuo lens.

Took some photo's with it and I am not disappointed. With F/1.8 you have a great bokeh but in the middle of the photo it is kind of blurry when you some in. At F/8.0 you have a crisp photo. This lens is a quiet one. Af works good, not great. Sometimes it has trouble finding the right sharpness, but most of the time it performs good.

It is a great lens for portrait photography and even a better lens for street photography. I took some test pictures at the Rotterdam harbor last week and they look great.

I like to take photo's of things that are so normal that you don't see them anymore. Like a nail in some wooden stairs. This lens makes a sharp photo of the lens and the rest of the photo has a very nice bokeh. The nail really pops out of the photo.

Blurring the background with a 50mm F1.8 lens is fun. By trying other diaphragm openings, you will know the limits of your equipment, and you will learn when it is worth exaggerating the amount of blur.

It is important to note that objects in the center of the image may be sharp enough in F1.8, but near the edges of the image sharpness will only be good with a more closed diaphragm (F5.6 for example). Good fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0