You Keep Asking About the Upcoming Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS....

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
… unfortunately we still don’t know when it’s going to be announced.</p>
<p>We’re thinking the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS will arrive late in August or in early September and start shipping some time this fall. We do know that this lens will NOT be a replacement for the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, and that Canon’s classic and unique 85mm lens will continue being produced for the foreseeable future.</p>
<p>We’ve been told that there is at least one more lens other than the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS that will be announced in 2017 and we can likely expect that in later Q4.</p>
<p>There are no more DSLRs coming in 2017 as far as we know, although we do expect another EOS M camera some time this summer.</p>
<p><em>Once we know more, you’ll know more.</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
> We’ve been told that there is at least one more lens...

This would be the alleged 135mm f/2 STF I guess. Sony have got some good reviews for their 100m f/2.8 STF for E mount and 135mm f/2.8 STF for A mount (see https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sal135f28)

But, I'd be absolutely shocked if, once they've got IS reliable at 1.4 in a serious lens, they don't get on to the most obvious future release:

EF 50mm f/1.4L IS USM

It's just like the lens that ahsanford keeps asking for, except with an extra L in the name and four times the price.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
will NOT be a replacement for the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, and that Canon’s classic and unique 85mm lens /html]
1) It'll be a replacement in all but name. By advertising as f/1.4 they can also advertise truer t-stops than the 1.2 version provides (despite, in all likelihood, the two lenses hitting the same t-stop), and there are very few people — frankly, insane ones — who will pick f/1.2 over f/1.4 + IS. It'll perform better, it'll be at the same or more likely at a higher price point, it's fundamentally more functional, and they can win brownie points with more honest advertising. Expect the 85mm f/1.2L II to cease production within 12-18 months, with a public discontinuation announcement a further year after that.
2) You can't really call the Canon 85mm f/1.2L "unique" when other 85mm f/1.2 lenses exist, e.g. Samyang's.

jebrady03 said:
This lens could end up dictating whether I jump to Sony or not
Given how to get the most out of the Sony system for now you'll be adapting Canon lenses anyway, I don't see why this would factor into your decision. When you end up using the same glass anyway, it's the bodies which you should be picking between.

(Of course that may change in the future as Sony continues to release more and more decent native lenses, though considering your collection of Canon lenses anyway, you'd be throwing money away in a like-for-like trade even with those better Sony lenses, so you'd still be better off just using an adapter.)

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
jebrady03 said:
Off topic:
I see in your gear list you've included Orlit Rovelight RT is that a studio light? As a ST-E3 + 600EX system user I'm looking for more powerful options...

It's a strobe but I haven't had the best luck with reliability. Check Amazon reviews and you'll see mine.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
aceflibble said:
jebrady03 said:
Given how to get the most out of the Sony system for now you'll be adapting Canon lenses anyway, I don't see why this would factor into your decision. When you end up using the same glass anyway, it's the bodies which you should be picking between.

(Of course that may change in the future as Sony continues to release more and more decent native lenses, though considering your collection of Canon lenses anyway, you'd be throwing money away in a like-for-like trade even with those better Sony lenses, so you'd still be better off just using an adapter.)

The thing that has kept me in the Canon camp has been my L glass and some of Canon's truly compact prime lenses (e.g., 24 and 40mm STM pancake, and 24 and 28 2.8 IS lenses). I shoot mostly Nikon now, but there are a few lenses that Nikon just doesn't provide an adequate substitute. This includes, for me, 24-70 L II 2.8--Nikon's version is just too pricey--, 100-400 L II--Canon's version is far superior, and 100mm L macro--okay, I don't know how Nikon's version compares, but I don't shoot macro enough to want to rebuy this lens.

I've toyed with the thought of moving to Sony to use my Canon glass, but I hear mixed impressions about using adapters. Some love them, some eskew them entirely. I don't expect to shoot sporting events or BIF using an adapter, but I still would like to have decent AF when shooting Canon lenses on Sony via adapter.

What are your thoughts on the efficacy of picking up a Sony body to use with Canon lenses?

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Quackator said:
jolyonralph said:
Sony have got some good reviews for their 100m f/2.8 STF for E mount (....)

That's the theory part. The reality part is pretty sobering when you realize that this lens is a true t-stop of f=5.6.

Low light portraits, yeah right.......

There is no free lunch, or in this case, no apodization without compromising transmittance :)

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
jolyonralph said:
Indeed, it's no low light lens. Although if the rumors are true and Canon are doing an "f/2" model, then we can hopefully expect transmission of around f/4?

I'd rather see 135/1.8L IS USM than STF, but thousand people will always give you two thousand opinions :)

Upvote 0
Quackator said:
That's the theory part. The reality part is pretty sobering when you realize that this lens is a true t-stop of f=5.6.

Low light portraits, yeah right.......

? All lenses involve trade-offs. No different for a STF lens - you get what you buy into. F/2.8 is not theory its a characteristic of any STF lens that its f/ and t/-stops will vary. Its still a unique lens design which would allow shooting pictures no other Canon lens is capable of opening up for new photographic opportunities.

Lots of people are very happy shooting @f/5.6. Just ask 100-400mm IS L II owners - I bet most will say they are happily trading a restrictive f/5.6 for the flexibility of the zoom and its high IQ.

Its like complaining the 300IS L II has crappy MFD - well maybe you should use another lens for your close-ups...

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Khalai said:
Maiaibing said:
Its like complaining the 300IS L II has crappy MFD - well maybe you should use another lens for your close-ups...

Or use 600 mm close-up ring ;D

Why not? 600 mm close-up:

Jokes aside - f/5.6 is really slow... but with strobes it should work awesome allowing to stay withing sync speed and not using ND filters or HSS.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I am very happy with my 85mm f/1.2L II...it's a very unique lens "to me"...if I need a faster focusing lens in that range I use my 70-200mm f/2.8II IS, 100mm f/2.8L or my Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art....with my 5D IV. Love that camera! (don't need the a-Sony-of-my-ownie! ;D)...
The new 85mm will undoubtedly focus much faster and have much better control over CA...and I would imagine superior sharpness across the frame...but I bet it also has a giant price increase to go along with all the up-to-date improvements geared at the new hi-Rez sensors.
One thing for sure, if Canon keeps both lenses, buyers will have an interesting time choosing between the two optics as they will both have their pluses and minuses.

Upvote 0
What is the 85 F1.4 IS going to do that cannot be done with the current 85L?

Ok you can get handhold shots at 1/30th of a second, but is that a smart move for a portrait shot??
Ok it could have much more corner sharpness, but should you go with a 85mm if you are heavily planning to go digital crop your images in the corners afterwards??
Ok it can reduce a bit of movie shack when making your video, but nothing substitutes a Gimbal at this point.
Ok maybe it will be hybrid IS for stability during panning shots, but that can be done with the current 100mm L to, prob for half the price.

Upvote 0