You Keep Asking About the Upcoming Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS....

BasXcanon said:
What is the 85 F1.4 IS going to do that cannot be done with the current 85L?

If it improved on the sharpness and reduced the CA of the 85L, this new lens would be a no-brainer.

c8uMUsk.png

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
CA only exists on 100% cropped in images on 4K screens.
I've never noticed any CA on a print that came from an EOS digital camera with EOS lens with CA lens profile enabled.
Unfortunately, no profiles for TS-E lenses. I have two of them, CA are not always present, but in some cases, they are there, I would like to get rid of them easier than manual. TS-E 24f/3.5L II sometimes shows blue-yellow CAs when tilted, scene dependent. I understand that with shift or tilt it becomes nearly impossible to make a profile to correct CA automatically.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
BasXcanon said:

Ok you can get handhold shots at 1/30th of a second, but is that a smart move for a portrait shot??
Ok it could have much more corner sharpness, but should you go with a 85mm if you are heavily planning to go digital crop your images in the corners afterwards??
Ok it can reduce a bit of movie shack when making your video, but nothing substitutes a Gimbal at this point.
Ok maybe it will be hybrid IS for stability during panning shots, but that can be done with the current 100mm L to, prob for half the price.

Why be aggravated? Canon will keep making the 85mm 1.2L for a while, and the 100mm f/2.8L...I'd be VERY happy to have handheld at 85mm. I see motion blur even at 125th of a second, which is not "a smart move for a portrait shot." Something about the shape of the 85 makes it harder for me to hold without shake than even the 135 f/2, so I'm interested in IS!

Plus great shallow DoF at 85mm with quicker AF? What's to complain about?

Now bring on the 50mm f/1.2L II as a surprise announcement for fall of 2017!!!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BasXcanon said:

Ok you can get handhold shots at 1/30th of a second, but is that a smart move for a portrait shot??
Ok it could have much more corner sharpness, but should you go with a 85mm if you are heavily planning to go digital crop your images in the corners afterwards??
Ok it can reduce a bit of movie shack when making your video, but nothing substitutes a Gimbal at this point.
Ok maybe it will be hybrid IS for stability during panning shots, but that can be done with the current 100mm L to, prob for half the price.

Things we might expect / hope for:

IS
Much sharper (see the Sigma 85 Art vs. the 85L II for what sort of improvements we might see)
Faster focusing
Internal focusing
Mechanical focusing instead of focus by wire
Possibly the BR gunk to fight fringing
Possibly lighter (aperture says yes, but modernizing the lens for sharpness says no -- we shall see)

- A

Attachments

• mtf.png
    mtf.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 698
  • mtf_21mp.png
    mtf_21mp.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
Maiaibing said:
Its like complaining the 300IS L II has crappy MFD - well maybe you should use another lens for your close-ups...

A simple extension tube will address this "issue".

:)
Yes - but then you're not complaining but accepting that your lens will need some help to produce the results you are looking for... ;D

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
When was it announced that this lens was going to be "L"? I visit this site everyday and don't remember it.

And, I can't understand how this lens would be a camel back breaker making someone jump to Sony? Has Canon released some lenses lately that have been sub-par that would make you worry about this lens?
Disclosure: I own two Sigma lenses ONLY because Canon doesn't make a similar lens.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
In terms of a constant maximum aperture set of lenses Canon has fallen behind Sigma and one has to wonder why.

This is Canon current offering:-

EF 24mm f1.4L II
EF 35mm f1.4L II
EF 50mm f1.4 (A lens not up to the newer 5D MKIV, 5DS / R cameras resolution)

we have a rumoured EF 85mm f1.4L

Now lets look at a constant maximum aperture selection from Sigma Art series

20mm f1.4 DG HSM A
24mm f1.4 DG HSM A
35mm f1.4 DG HSM A
50mm f1.4 DG HSM A
85mm f1.4 DG HSM A

Sigma has the 135mm f1.8 DG HSM A which obviously is not a constant maximum aperture lens and is missing a 100mm from the Art series. Nikon recently produced a 105mm f1.4E ED so its plausible to make a lens in numbers at this aperture and maintain high quality. In cinematography a number of companies make fast primes with constant maximum apertures and for the video shooters among Canon clients this is a holy grail they are yet to realise from Canon current portfolio.

The mystery is the lack of EF 50mm f1.4L, this is the easiest focal length to design and would sell in greater numbers yet to date Canon has not delivered. Moreover its unlikely to unseat the 50mm f1.2L because they can be designed with different criteria (i.e. soft & creamy at max aperture for the 1.2 and crisp & contrast for the 1.4).

Sigma has taken their 1.4 lenses and repurposed them for cinematography to a part of the market that cannot afford Zeiss, Cookes, Schneider, Leica etc. Canon fixed cinematography primes are a mixed bag with good & bad lenses and not widely popular as a result.

So Canon where is the EF 50mm f1.4L and the EF 85mm f1.4L and what else beyond that because that would still only give you four focal lengths you would need either a 18 / 20mm and a 100mm

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
In terms of a constant maximum aperture set of lenses Canon has fallen behind Sigma and one has to wonder why.

This is Canon current offering:-

EF 24mm f1.4L II
EF 35mm f1.4L II
EF 50mm f1.4 (A lens not up to the newer 5D MKIV, 5DS / R cameras resolution)

we have a rumoured EF 85mm f1.4L

Now lets look at a constant maximum aperture selection from Sigma Art series

20mm f1.4 DG HSM A
24mm f1.4 DG HSM A
35mm f1.4 DG HSM A
50mm f1.4 DG HSM A
85mm f1.4 DG HSM A

Sigma has the 135mm f1.8 DG HSM A which obviously is not a constant maximum aperture lens and is missing a 100mm from the Art series. Nikon recently produced a 105mm f1.4E ED so its plausible to make a lens in numbers at this aperture and maintain high quality. In cinematography a number of companies make fast primes with constant maximum apertures and for the video shooters among Canon clients this is a holy grail they are yet to realise from Canon current portfolio.

The mystery is the lack of EF 50mm f1.4L, this is the easiest focal length to design and would sell in greater numbers yet to date Canon has not delivered. Moreover its unlikely to unseat the 50mm f1.2L because they can be designed with different criteria (i.e. soft & creamy at max aperture for the 1.2 and crisp & contrast for the 1.4).

Sigma has taken their 1.4 lenses and repurposed them for cinematography to a part of the market that cannot afford Zeiss, Cookes, Schneider, Leica etc. Canon fixed cinematography primes are a mixed bag with good & bad lenses and not widely popular as a result.

So Canon where is the EF 50mm f1.4L and the EF 85mm f1.4L and what else beyond that because that would still only give you four focal lengths you would need either a 18 / 20mm and a 100mm

What exactly are you meaning by "constant maximum aperture" by which a 135A does not count? Do you really mean "f/1.4"? Because primes are constant maximum aperture by default and definition: they don't have a zoom range over which maximum aperture can change. I assume "at least f/1.4" is what you mean, because Canon has a ton more primes than you listed, and the only reason I can think of you've excluded them is they aren't f/1.4.

I would say that, as a strategy, Sigma has done a great job of identifying weak spots in the Canon lineup and focusing their efforts there. A full library of f/1.4 primes (plus the 24-70/2.8OS), is a soft spot in Canon's lineup. The 24-105A is much less of an unserved market, so whatever people say about the Sigma being better than the old 24-105L, I'd be really curious what the sales numbers have been for the Art, and how it's worked out for them as an investment.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Pixel said:
And, I can't understand how this lens would be a camel back breaker making someone jump to Sony? Has Canon released some lenses lately that have been sub-par that would make you worry about this lens?
Disclosure: I own two Sigma lenses ONLY because Canon doesn't make a similar lens.

I'm afraid @ashanford can be next. In the last few years Zony has released 4 50mm FF lenses! All are good to excellent.

Upvote 0