Your best animal shots!

Male California sea lion basking in the sun on a small islet off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, about a month ago. Not the best picture but I was pleased with it because it was shot handheld with a 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary at 600mm from a bucking zodiac. It's the only in-focus picture I was able to get.

Attachments

• _36A9639_DxO-Edit.jpg
    _36A9639_DxO-Edit.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
dpc said:
Male California sea lion basking in the sun on a small islet off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, about a month ago. Not the best picture but I was pleased with it because it was shot handheld with a 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary at 600mm from a bucking zodiac. It's the only in-focus picture I was able to get.

Nice and yes feel proud!

I was on a similar rig off the coast of Haida Gwaii doing much the same and the operator didn't have a clue as we circled to mini island. Not only rocking but the sun was at a very bad angle and little time was allowed for shooting (I was the only shooter). Disappointing for sure.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
clbayley said:
As I am usually land-locked, so vacation to the ocean means I get to enjoy the sea animals that you coastal folk probably think are ordinary...or even annoying!

This Harbour Seal was checking me out, 10ft off the beach at Pidgeon Point, California.

Common or not, it makes for a very cute photo.

Jack

Upvote 0
clbayley said:
As I am usually land-locked, so vacation to the ocean means I get to enjoy the sea animals that you coastal folk probably think are ordinary...or even annoying!

This Harbour Seal was checking me out, 10ft off the beach at Pidgeon Point, California.

Nice picture of a cute sea creature. :)

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
dpc said:

Nice and yes feel proud!

I was on a similar rig off the coast of Haida Gwaii doing much the same and the operator didn't have a clue as we circled to mini island. Not only rocking but the sun was at a very bad angle and little time was allowed for shooting (I was the only shooter). Disappointing for sure.

Jack

I was hoping for whale pictures and whatnot. We had a whale breach right in front of the zodiac. Did I get a picture? Nope! Maybe another time. Zodiacs are fun but hard on the spine and questionable for photography unless you have a photographically aware pilot. I'll go on a bigger platform the next time. 8) :eek: :mad:

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
dpc said:
Jack Douglas said:
dpc said:

Nice and yes feel proud!

Jack

I was hoping for whale pictures and whatnot. We had a whale breach right in front of the zodiac. Did I get a picture? Nope! Maybe another time. Zodiacs are fun but hard on the spine and questionable for photography unless you have a photographically aware pilot. I'll go on a bigger platform the next time. 8) :eek: :mad:

Exactly my experience too and the guy rather carelessly (we were first timers and unwilling to complain) actually cracked my wife's spine (foolishly for photos I sat at the very front).

We had to visit the Haida Gwaii hospital to confirm it wasn't worse and it rather spoiled some of our holiday. I was holding the 6D with 300 X2 and it's a wonder it wasn't shattered. Readers of this beware and sit at the back of a zodiac!! And cry bloody murder if the operator isn't being responsible. :) :(

Jack

Upvote 0