"Your camera takes great photos" and other peeves

AcutancePhotography said:
A most amusing and entertaining thread to read. ;D

A thread kevetching about people complementing equipment, that is posted in a forum on a website almost entirely dedicated to discussions about camera gear.

I especially like reading the comments about how the equipment is not the important thing from posters who list all their equipment in their signature.

You guys are a hoot! LoL

+1

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
My to least Fav comments are

"You must have a good camera" Usually followed by a discourse on their camera.

Or

"I've got a picture like that, I took in on my phone" Usually followed by presenting an out of focused badly composed image.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sorry but I can't resist.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No one has ever said "that image would look better with a bit more DR" :-*

Upvote 0
Skulker said:

Or

"I've got a picture like that, I took in on my phone" Usually followed by presenting an out of focused badly composed image.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One person might ;D

Upvote 0
Most of the time I get people saying along the lines of, "That camera is nice, you must take good pictures."

Sure, I do, or at least I like to think I take great photos, but it all boils down to skill of the individual behind the viewfinder. I've taken photos of people using their iPhones or equivalent smartphone, and sometimes they wonder why their photos don't turn out as good when they see the one I took.

It's ultimately not about the camera, but the individual using it. Kung Fu is not necessarily better than Karate, or vice versa. It depends on the skill of the person using it.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
serendipidy said:
Skulker said:

Or

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One person might ;D
;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
serendipidy said:
Skulker said:

Or

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One person might ;D
;D ;D ;D

I actually heard some people say just that, including the photographer himself. Large platinum prints.

It's interesting that those who seem to make most fun of DR and list every last bit of equipment also get quickly crazy offended by innocent, most likely friendly comments from strangers.

Upvote 0
thedman said:
My biggest pet peeve though are people who, once they see that I'm a 'serious' photographer, offer their advice on what I should shoot. It always begins with "Hey, you wanna take a good picture...", after which they proceed to drag me to a subject that would be a terrible or at best average shot.
This reminded me of something similar my mom once advised me to do. She suggested that I go out and take pictures of what's happening outside during typhoons and then submit them to newspapers. I just told her that I wouldn't be doing that because it's really rather dangerous and my camera isn't waterproof.

Upvote 0
As a seventeen year old with a 5D mkii, my biggest pet peeve is that everyone always says, "oh your parents bought you a nice camera" and things like that. No, I payed for it, I actually sell prints, shoot weddings, do ad work and photograph for local magazines. I have literally over a million hits on several of my photos and have been featured on petapixel.

Upvote 0
Roo said:
My pet peeve at the moment is the use of the word 'photographer'. Last week a good friend updated her fb info to state that she was a 'photographer'. She likes taking a photo but more often models in them with a friend shooting for her. Some of the shots she actually takes are good but she has never taken the camera (a 60d) out of full auto. She only posts her shots on fb and has never sold one or been contracted for a shoot. A couple of months ago I even offered to show her the different functions of her camera but she never took me up on the offer and has never even taken a workshop or viewed youtube clips and yet she considers herself a photographer.

At the same time another person has posted on the work social media site 'I am a great photographer!' along with an iphone photo of computer monitors in a poorly lit room that had been used in a work web article.

Do you think either deserve to call themselves photographers??

Definitely NOT, but this is the age we live in now. (I can sympathize with your above anectdote, see my last paragraph).

"Photographer" has been very, extremely cheapened, and if it ever gets restored to what it's supposed to be, it will be a long time from now. Too many people take pictures and think of themselves as photographers. I suppose these days even dogs and cats can be photographers!

Even on a website like this, for people who are enthusiastic about the cameras, lenses, equipment...We are all at varying levels of technical and artistic ability, experience, expertise, knowledge, skill, age...and certainly "fame" and income (from the photography).

Photography is just too accessible now, for pretty much everyone on earth, 6 billion plus people...to not think of themselves as photographers. If you take a picture with a phone or whatever, in a way you are a photographer. But if you're someone who uses a DSLR in full auto mode, and has no curiosity about what else to do with it, you're not an artist...because artists take their tools (and their ability to use them) seriously, regardless of what kind of art it is. I've talked to many female photographers, and have yet to meet one who is curious or enthusiastic about their equipment. I have no doubt there are thousands, or perhaps millions of ladies who are into their equipment...but given my experience, it's probably closer to thousands. I especially don't like attempting to discuss photography with someone who starts off by saying "what would you like to know?"...assuming I'm some kind of idiot just because I wanted to discuss photography. There's a certain arrogance amongst many in our profession, male or female.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Joe M said:
Seriously though, I have had brides that have regretted the tattoos they have, and asked me to get rid of them from every shot.

Complete tangent, but that's hilarious.

I never got a tattoo (yet) because I didn't want it to be something I regretted.

I scoff heartily at all these fannies who got 'tramp stamps' based on what Pink or whoever else on MTV had, and then three years down the line when they want to kid on they are virigins, and never went to nightclubs and never smoked etc when they decide they want lecrueset cookware and an actuary husband they try and get them removed etc.

The way I see it, if your gormless husband to be liked you when you first met and you had your tatts and peircings then surely, he's only worth marrying (I mean worth in the moral, not financial sense) if he accepts them now?

That said. Getting a tatto of a dolphin across your breasts probably wasn't the best idea you ever had.

How about a swastika or a skull and cross bones on the breasts? I've seen it. That's a woman who hates herself and hates life, and probably would never even look at a picture of herself. The problem is, other people will.

I would like to offer my services for cloning out tattoos on photos, if anyone would like to hire me! Seems like there would be millions to be made on it!!

The very worst place a woman can get a tattoo, is on the breasts. At least in the tramp stamp region, it seems less harmful of the beautiful womanly form...although there are some massively giant tramp stamps out there, usually they're dark in color too. Whoever thought of doing all this, should have their brains tattooed, haha...

Upvote 0
Andy_Hodapp said:
As a seventeen year old with a 5D mkii, my biggest pet peeve is that everyone always says, "oh your parents bought you a nice camera" and things like that. No, I payed for it, I actually sell prints, shoot weddings, do ad work and photograph for local magazines. I have literally over a million hits on several of my photos and have been featured on petapixel.

Or they think you stole it! No one takes you seriously as a 17yr old. Must suck. Well done though, sounds like you've put in a lot of effort and it's paid off! Don't pay attention to the old farts who tell you what to do.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

CarlTN said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Joe M said:
Seriously though, I have had brides that have regretted the tattoos they have, and asked me to get rid of them from every shot.

Complete tangent, but that's hilarious.

I never got a tattoo (yet) because I didn't want it to be something I regretted.

I scoff heartily at all these fannies who got 'tramp stamps' based on what Pink or whoever else on MTV had, and then three years down the line when they want to kid on they are virigins, and never went to nightclubs and never smoked etc when they decide they want lecrueset cookware and an actuary husband they try and get them removed etc.

The way I see it, if your gormless husband to be liked you when you first met and you had your tatts and peircings then surely, he's only worth marrying (I mean worth in the moral, not financial sense) if he accepts them now?

That said. Getting a tatto of a dolphin across your breasts probably wasn't the best idea you ever had.

How about a swastika or a skull and cross bones on the breasts? I've seen it. That's a woman who hates herself and hates life, and probably would never even look at a picture of herself. The problem is, other people will.

I would like to offer my services for cloning out tattoos on photos, if anyone would like to hire me! Seems like there would be millions to be made on it!!

The very worst place a woman can get a tattoo, is on the breasts. At least in the tramp stamp region, it seems less harmful of the beautiful womanly form...although there are some massively giant tramp stamps out there, usually they're dark in color too. Whoever thought of doing all this, should have their brains tattooed, haha...

If Katy Perry got her brains Tattooed some idiot somewhere would copy her.

When I worked at the university there was one student who took to wearing a red t-shirt with a prominent white circle encased swastika over her chest. She would be 18 or close.

I eould refuse to deal with her on days she wore the t-shirt, even although I knew fine that she was into punk and after this kind of reaction, and no more a neo-nazi than my goldfish, Adolf.
(The goldfish bit is a lie, i couldn't help it)

But I also knew that there was a lecturer in another department who taught on the holocaust, and who had lost family in that genocide. When the university wouldn't support me I suggested wearing klu klux clan robes and pokey hat to my work. I kinda hoped the lecturer and the students path would nevercross, say in the canteen or in a corridor, because I dont think the student really understood the weight of the semiotics she was flirting with, or the upset it may cause, but snother part of me hoped their paths would cross, because the lecturer was a fierce intellectual and would have torn the student a new arishole with eloquence but such volume that nobody within a 10 mile radius would be in any doubt about adorning themselves with that symbol in play irony or jest ever again.

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Skulker said:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I actually heard some people say just that, including the photographer himself. Large platinum prints.

It's interesting that those who seem to make most fun of DR and list every last bit of equipment also get quickly crazy offended by innocent, most likely friendly comments from strangers.

If that's directed at me

1) I'm not making fun of DR. What I'm making fun of is those who DRone on a lot of DRivel about it. I don't care if it is pro or anti to be honest. As far as I'm concerned its important as part of the process of creating images.

2) I don't list ANY of my equipment. I mention it when relevant.

3) I don't get "crazy offended". Not even by idiots.

I do get disappointed with people who try to ram their ideas down other peoples throats, and can't even chill and have a chuckle at what is obviously intended as a light hearted comment.

Love and Kisses

Upvote 0