"Your camera takes great photos" and other peeves

I want to hear from everyone on the most annoying things people commonly say to them about their cameras, lenses, other gear, images and photography in general. My personal favorite is "wow, your camera takes great pictures," or, while looking at my images, "you have a great camera."

I used to launch into an explanation of how much time and energy I have invested in improving my technique and artistic vision, but found the results dissatisfying (common response: "well sure you have to know how to use it"). So I just accede, "yes, it's easier to get good pictures with a good camera."

neuroanatomist said:
Neuro, great one as always. My pet peeve is when I'm at events with my gear, people assume I'm the pro that was hired to cover it / the lackey who agreed to do it for free. From, "Would you mind taking my photo" to "You need to go talk to _____ about the stuff he/she wants you to shoot" to having other photographers complain that they were ones hired. It's all pretty funny, and this is usually just me with my 5DIII and 24 1.4 II or 24-70 II, and maybe my 580 EX II. Next time I'm slapping on my 70-200 2.8 IS II and battery grip, or better yet, my 300 2.8 IS II. That should get some reactions ;D

Upvote 0
I love this! I hear this often from family members and friends. I too have stopped trying to explain.

Not too long ago a friend of mine who is not in photography at all said he NEEDS to get a DSLR because his current cameras (iPhone 5 and a Sony point and shoot) do not take nice photos. I tried to explain to him that he does not NEED a DSLR but that he could get great results from his phone and point and shoot. He would not believe me and just wanted to argue, so I simply conceded....Yes you need a DSLR :p

iron-t said:
I want to hear from everyone on the most annoying things people commonly say to them about their cameras, lenses, other gear, images and photography in general. My personal favorite is "wow, your camera takes great pictures," or, while looking at my images, "you have a great camera."

I used to launch into an explanation of how much time and energy I have invested in improving my technique and artistic vision, but found the results dissatisfying (common response: "well sure you have to know how to use it"). So I just accede, "yes, it's easier to get good pictures with a good camera."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I once had a Nikon CP-990 for sale on craigslist, and I included a photo shot with it. Some jerk sent a email saying the photo was a fake and that the camera couldn't have taken such a good photo. He went on about his two degrees in liberal arts and what a expert he was.

Later, I noticed the same guy selling his Sony P&S on Craigslist.

He didn't have a clue as to the part a camera plays versus the care to be in sharp focus, have the lighting right.

Now that we have a ton of cameraphones, I see a lot of really awful photos, with shadows across part of the image, out of focus because the camera was too close, etc. Everyone will, of course, blame the camera and think a expensive DSLR will solve the issues.

Upvote 0
I'm going to wade in here as I've had some moments where something like this has put my back up. I've heard variations on "You have a great camera" a few hundred times now.

Initially I got my back up and took offence, but I realized something; often the people asking this aren't looking to rib you, they are just trying to break the ice because they want to talk to you. Sure, maybe they are gear nuts but often they are hobbyists, amateurs or enthusiasts who admire what you are doing. Often they are both admirers and gear nuts rolled into one. And that's a good thing.

I have a playful way of handling that question now while I'm working; I'll feign being hurt a little and say something like "You know, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do... but my ego is quite fragile and you just broke my heart"... followed by a laugh and the assertion that I do love the camera I'm using, but it takes some time to learn to use it well. Sure, if they are trying to engage you in a lengthy chat when you have work to do it can be a small hindrance, but then a polite "I have some things I have to shoot, but if you're around for a bit I'll free up later to chat" works really well.

Form there I might find out that the person teasing me has a Canon Rebel/an old Pentax K-1000/just bought their fist P&S/is thinking about buying their first full framer/iPhone 5S. And you know what? Those are all great cameras. And the fact that that person loves cameras and photography is keeping us employed. Really.

Now, not to say all folk that ask this are benevolent, but most are. As for the occasional jerk, you can usually tell who they are after a few back and forths... I've had a few here and there. I usually tease them too... and then go back to work.

Upvote 0
Why would this annoy you? I just grin and say "beginner's luck". ;D

Better yet, I'm using primes half the time and you should see people's eyes glaze over as they try to talk gear with me and I try to sell them on giving up zooms. ::)

--------------------

Want to know my pet peeve? People asking to see the shot (like my wife).

Listen, I know if I got it or not, what is a 3" screen going to tell you?

Upvote 0
DSP74 said:
I love this! I hear this often from family members and friends. I too have stopped trying to explain.

Not too long ago a friend of mine who is not in photography at all said he NEEDS to get a DSLR because his current cameras (iPhone 5 and a Sony point and shoot) do not take nice photos. I tried to explain to him that he does not NEED a DSLR but that he could get great results from his phone and point and shoot. He would not believe me and just wanted to argue, so I simply conceded....Yes you need a DSLR :p

Ha! Yes indeed. A good friend of mine, accustomed to P&S shooting, wanted advice on a camera to buy for capturing the northern lights on his upcoming trip to Iceland. I'm sure my response was intimidating: gear recommendation was a budget DSLR and tripod, but it came with links to a dozen pages of technique and framing tips for that precise circumstance. Even smart and considerate people often drastically underestimate how much work goes into great photos. I invite them all to pick up DSLRs, get shooting, and see what happens!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Crapking said:
When shooting with my 100-400, I'll extend the lens while I explain how EXCITED I am that I get paid to do what I love..., and then I will remind them (with a wink)...

Let me get this straight. You tell them you are EXCITED as you extend your big cannon and then you wink at them?!? :eek:

ic

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
To put this in perspective, was in NYC carrying my 5Diii and stuff in my Retrospective bag. I had the Velcro "silenced" and would bring the camera out when needed / wanted. My wife and I were in a department store and while she was looking at something, a guy with a 1D / 24-70 / on a BR was nearby while his spouse was looking at something. With my camera out of sight, I asked him, "How do you like that Black Rapid?" and pointed to his camera. Turns out he did not speak a word of English and porbably assumed I was telling him he had a nice camera. He just smiled and walked away.

Guess we can be guilty of this also.

When someone says something to me, I just politely agree.

Upvote 0