"Your camera takes great photos" and other peeves

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
I was showing my mother in law (who doesn't know anything about photography) some pictures I had taken with my 85 1.2 wide open. She pointed to the beautiful background bokeh and said "Why is it so blurry? I thought you had an expensive camera." All I could think was "I spenT a lot of money on this lens to get it to look "so blurry" ha ha

Upvote 0
It doesn't bother me. People can compliment your photography in different ways. All compliments are good. So I accept "you have a great camera" and "your camera takes great pictures" as nice compliments. And I usually do have a nice camera, so the compliment is not mistaken in that sense. While I know that the photographer makes the picture, the camera plays an important role too. If my camera gets the compliment, I don't feel slighted.

Upvote 0
If you could take equally as good pictures with a cheaper camera, why wouldn't you use it?

Doesn't the "it's the photographer" argument discredit the talented engineers who made the camera? It's certainly easier to use than it was to engineer. I certainly can't take the some photos with my iPhone I can with my 5D and 70-200; if you can, why don't you?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
I'm not offended/irritated either.

I've never been an ambassador of "gear doesn't matter", but if I could choose I would prefer something like "wow, you definitely know how to pick the right gear and put it to good use, as well as being clearly proficient in post-processing!"

That's ultimately what taking pictures means, in my opinion.

Guess it would be too long though :p

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
AlanF said:
neuroanatomist said:

My peeve is when I have my 5DIII and the 70-200 f/4 IS and a guy pulls out a 1Dx with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and says: "That's not a camera....THAT'S a camera.

I'm just waiting for the day when someone does that to me with my 7D+70-300L, so I could pull out my Toyoview 4x5.
(until, of course, someone comes past with their Ebony 8x10, then they'd get their comeuppance in turn from someone with a 20x24, at which point this guy drives past and we all hang our heads in shame.)

Albi86 said:
I've never been an ambassador of "gear doesn't matter"

I've always been an ambassador of "gear doesn't matter". I've got great gear, and don't take anything worth printing...

Upvote 0
Isn't it great when you are walking around with a 1d* and a white lens and somebody says " taking pictures?" If I say "no" they look very puzzled.

Or people saying "ooh that's a big camera". I normally answer saying "yup but I don't know how to use it". "I use it just to make friends. See we are talking already". Normally gets a smile and we start talking and discussing photography.

Or "That's a nice camera". I say "Yes, thankyou, I am very lucky".

or being at a party and kids come up and ask "how much did it cost?"

we could just answer that bigger is better!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
This was years ago, but I remember photographing surfers from a local pier with a 10D and 70-200 f/4L. The 20D had just come out. While I'm shooting some guy walks up with a brand new 20D and some 3rd party zoom (forget which). Asked what I was shooting, then proceeded to spend 15 minutes telling me how I needed to upgrade because the 20D was so much better, it wasn't even worth shooting a 10D any more.

15 minutes. I kept shooting. He kept talking.

"Yeah, I'll have to think about upgrading" and we parted ways. As he walked away I couldn't help but wonder: what's the point of a better camera if you don't ever press the shutter button?

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
paul13walnut5 said:
My dreaded moment is when I'm setting up a shot with a fat or ugly person and they ask 'haha thats a slimming lens isn't it?' 'or you'll make me look beautiful won't you?' and being tempted to say 'Naw, yer a fat/ugly b@st@rd, final cut doesn't have a plug-in for that'.

For stills, DxO's volume anamorphosis tool helps morph people with excessive volume. I think that sounds better than PS's liquefy tool (but taught gross anatomy, I've used real liquefy tools :eek: ).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
paul13walnut5 said:
My dreaded moment is when I'm setting up a shot with a fat or ugly person and they ask 'haha thats a slimming lens isn't it?' 'or you'll make me look beautiful won't you?' and being tempted to say 'Naw, yer a fat/ugly b@st@rd, final cut doesn't have a plug-in for that'.

Instead I say something meek like "I'll capture you in all your glory"

Hi Paul.
Yes but that will get you about as far as "no dear your bum looks big in everything!" :eek:

Cheers Graham.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Valvebounce said:
paul13walnut5 said:

Instead I say something meek like "I'll capture you in all your glory"

Hi Paul.
Yes but that will get you about as far as "no dear your bum looks big in everything!" :eek:

Cheers Graham.

Haha!

"Does my bum look big in this?"

"yes, you have a big bum!"

Love it.

Upvote 0