Your favourite motorsports events

Hi Wiebe.
Thank for your kind comment.
These were all taken with the 7DII, some with 70-200 L II, some with the 100-400 L II.
Basic settings, ISO 100, Shutter priority, between 1/30th and 1/60th aperture roaming free around the 22 end of the scale! :LOL:
All the exif is viewable on Flickr if you want detailed info.

I’ll have to look through the files for the 1DsIII but I don’t think I carried both that weekend.

Cheers, Graham.
(y)(y) ... I didn't think of looking at the Flickr sources, my fault :oops:
W.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Excellent shots Graham. Love the 917s :D

My only suggestion is that, if you don't like hanging out at f22, to try adding a CPL or ND to the kit. I've added them for 2 reasons - on a really bright day here I couldn't get below 1/125th without over exposing and it can help avoiding the dust bunnies in shots by keeping your aperture to f8 or below. I try and keep a clean sensor but the 1Dx2 gets dirty quickly.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Thanks for the kind comment.
You know an ND and / or CPL is one of the things I keep meaning to try, I forgot last weekend too, we went to a track day with London Camera Exchange /Sony hands on day, no shots from that, I managed to set the raw CF card to small coarse jpeg accidentally while fiddling around with video :mad: so nothing worth even trying to edit! :rolleyes: The SD is an EyeFi card that sends small jpegs to my phone!
Just goes to show you should even check settings that you don’t ever change. :unsure:
I used both for a sunset time-lapse the other day and it worked well.

Cheers, Graham.

Excellent shots Graham. Love the 917s :D

My only suggestion is that, if you don't like hanging out at f22, to try adding a CPL or ND to the kit. I've added them for 2 reasons - on a really bright day here I couldn't get below 1/125th without over exposing and it can help avoiding the dust bunnies in shots by keeping your aperture to f8 or below. I try and keep a clean sensor but the 1Dx2 gets dirty quickly.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Roo.
Thanks for the kind comment.
You know an ND and / or CPL is one of the things I keep meaning to try, I forgot last weekend too, we went to a track day with London Camera Exchange /Sony hands on day, no shots from that, I managed to set the raw CF card to small coarse jpeg accidentally while fiddling around with video :mad: so nothing worth even trying to edit! :rolleyes: The SD is an EyeFi card that sends small jpegs to my phone!
Just goes to show you should even check settings that you don’t ever change. :unsure:
I used both for a sunset time-lapse the other day and it worked well.

Cheers, Graham.

Ouch... but it is something that still happens to all of us. I was shooting ice hockey last weekend and, during a period break, they had a couple of guys racing pedal carts on the ice. I dropped the shutter speed to 1/200th to get some motion in the wheels but then got involved in a conversation and forgot to bump it up when the action started up again. I shot the whole period at low shutter :oops: At least it kept my iso low :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GN Photos

Expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed
Oct 20, 2016
Folsom, California, U.S.A.
We have been busy shooting at Laguna Seca (World Superbike / MotoAmerica), the Sacramento Mile (American Flat Track (AFT)) and Sonoma (MotoAmerica). Barb & I just want to share a few of our shots.

MotoAmerica rider Cameron Beaubier braking hard for the Corkscrew, Laguna Seca.DQ2A0731.JPG

MotoAmerica rider Cameron Beaubier at the top of the Corkscrew, Laguna Seca.
DQ2A0535.JPG

MotoAmerica rider Kyle Wyman dropping down into The Corkscrew, Laguna Seca.
DQ2A1356.JPG

World Superbike rider Chaz Davies in Turn 5, Laguna Seca.
DQ2A3395.JPG

AFT rider Sammy Halbert, Sacramento Mile.
DQ2A0136.JPG

AFT rider Jared Mees, Sacramento Mile.
DQ2A0257.JPG

AFT rider Brandon Robinson, Sacramento Mile. Low siding it (No, he could not save it) thankfully uninjured.
DQ2A0258.JPG

MotoAmerica rider Garrett Gerloff, Sonoma.
DQ2A0697.JPG

We just started on Instagram, Nickless Photos. We have some new and old (70's and 80's) motorcycle photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Great shots! Well done, GeoffN.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thank you Roo. Media Credentials make all the difference.

Indeed - there are very few tracks where the public areas are as good to shoot from as those with media access. Phillip Island is one where there are only a couple spots where media access is really required...and not long to go until MotoGP :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ladislav.
I have sent you a PM about Goodwood Revival.

Cheers, Graham.

Thank you Graham. I will need to figure out the plan. I didn't plan to sleep over anywhere nearby since it is already too late to book. If I go multi day, it is quite long drive for me every day but it is very tempting. That was a reason why I was considering Thursday and Saturday to avoid driving two following days.

I was on Revival last year and it was amazing. Plan to go again this year as well.

Upvote 0

GN Photos

Expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed
Oct 20, 2016
Folsom, California, U.S.A.
Roo,
That is the worst part of vintage / historic racing. It is wonderful to see the old iron out there, putting on a great show. But when things go wrong, it is so sad. Some may say it's just a car, it can be straightened or fixed. To those that love it and saw them when they were they were new, it's sad.
But to the point of this forum, great captures of the action! Well done. If it's going to happen, might as well capture it. Good to hear that the driver is fine. He and the car owner may or may not want to see your shots. They usually do.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Roo,
That is the worst part of vintage / historic racing. It is wonderful to see the old iron out there, putting on a great show. But when things go wrong, it is so sad. Some may say it's just a car, it can be straightened or fixed. To those that love it and saw them when they were they were new, it's sad.
But to the point of this forum, great captures of the action! Well done. If it's going to happen, might as well capture it. Good to hear that the driver is fine. He and the car owner may or may not want to see your shots. They usually do.

Agreed Geoff - that aspect was covered very well in Eric Bana's documentary - Love the Beast.

Upvote 0