Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Oops, I should read rather than googling! ::)
I see you correctly labled it a Sea Fury!
I thought it was a Tempest (not very surprising after reading this) and googled Tempest 924 and it came up in the search, must not blindly trust google! :eek: :)
I’d settle for seeing either one in flight!
Also, distraction much appreciated! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Kieth.
Very nice shots, I would love to see a Tempest at the show I visit.

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Air Racing and NHRA

Thanks Graham :)

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to all.
Some shots from Goodwood Revival to revive this thread. :)
No panning shots as I wanted to portray the rain and spray accurately.

Cheers, Graham.

Nice 'blast from the past' - I remember those cars from my youth (which is ehmm... a few years back ;))

Just a question, wouldn't the spray have registered in panned shots as well? In the wake of the cars it's more or less the same speed...

Best wishes for the new year, hopefully with lots of photographic opportunities!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thanks, and a happy new year to you too.
Just to be completely correct, I was panning, but using fast shutter speed. When I said no panning, I really meant slow shutter panning.
I felt in my gut that slow shutter panning shots would have left the spray as a smudge, plus water drops loose velocity very quickly, I’m not sure if spray lifted from a track is actually moving the same speed as the car either, the contact patch of the tyre is stationary (unless the car is skidding), therefore I surmise that the water spray is more lifted than sprayed. Yes I know that a tyre moves gallons of water per minute but a lot of that is ejected sideways through the grooves and race wets don’t have that many sipes (the cuts to sponge the surface dry) that would be getting emptied by centrifugal force. ??? ??? ???
By this reasoning, correct or not and not having a large screen to check the result I decided on high shutter speed. :)
Any physicists care to comment? :)

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to all.
Some shots from Goodwood Revival to revive this thread. :)
No panning shots as I wanted to portray the rain and spray accurately.

Cheers, Graham.

Nice 'blast from the past' - I remember those cars from my youth (which is ehmm... a few years back ;))

Just a question, wouldn't the spray have registered in panned shots as well? In the wake of the cars it's more or less the same speed...

Best wishes for the new year, hopefully with lots of photographic opportunities!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Back to some indoor stuff.
27791052719_2912abab0f_b.jpg

38671332825_cb4962532a_b.jpg

27791033969_f21414a152_b.jpg

38671421015_8fa58f2818_b.jpg

So real pros even stopped by(William Byron(blue) and Scott Speed(oberto)).
27791087559_f5bd1eef7c_b.jpg

24699896967_37ce14483f_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Stephen.
Some cool shots, I’d imagine (based on when I shot model aircraft) that they are difficult to shoot, close and fast!
Really like the “oberto” shot, nicely done.

Cheers, Graham.
Very much so. Its a decently lit place, but for the pace these cars go I could definitely go for some more. Id ideally like to be in the 1/1000 range but the light is only good enough for 1/640 or 1/800(on the dark side IMO) at 4000iso(much higher and the noise gets a bit to much for me) obviously all at 2.8. The hard part is getting the focus spot on the cars with them being so small(buggies). Its the most challenging Motorsports subject I do and I really enjoy doing it for the shear challenge.

Click said:
Cool shots, Stephen. I especially like the 3 and 5th one.
The oberto shot was like 1/3 that turned out from that spot. Its a good thing its all digital these days or that spot would have wasted countless rolls of film.
That racing picture was a good spot, wish I'd had spent more time in that area.

Thanks for the comments!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
I found some folders from when I owned a 5D that I hadn’t processed, I had a look and found a few shots from Goodwood Revival ‘16 that weren’t too small to use, I only had the 24-105 on that body, so many of the shots were cropping toooo small! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham, they may be "old" but even back then you managed to make some very nice panned shots! Lots of background (motion) blurring even with no more than 105mm...

Wiebe.

Upvote 0