Your favourite motorsports events

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thanks for the kind words, I really enjoyed that camera, it was my “gateway drug” to FF cameras! :eek: ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
I found some folders from when I owned a 5D that I hadn’t processed, I had a look and found a few shots from Goodwood Revival ‘16 that weren’t too small to use, I only had the 24-105 on that body, so many of the shots were cropping toooo small! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham, they may be "old" but even back then you managed to make some very nice panned shots! Lots of background (motion) blurring even with no more than 105mm...

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Some more shots from the Goodwood Members Meeting last weekend, after the first few shots in the snow I went back to the car and removed the 24-105 f4L from the 1DsIII and replaced it with the 70-200 f2.8LII as I was concerned that the extending nature of the 24-105 would draw water from the melting snow in to the inside of the lens as I zoomed in and out, with the 70-200 being an internal zoom and focus lens I felt much safer, I spent the rest of the time shooting with that combo without extra waterproofing with no issues. Well apart from just before this sequence when I picked the camera up to shoot there was a snow drift in the hood! :eek: :eek: The camera was on the Black Rapid hanging with the hood facing in to the wind! ::) ;D ;D

4X3Z7736_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

4X3Z7737_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

4X3Z7740_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

4X3Z7743_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Sometimes no amount of opposite lock can get you out of trouble! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Some more shots from the Goodwood Members Meeting last weekend, after the first few shots in the snow I went back to the car and removed the 24-105 f4L from the 1DsIII and replaced it with the 70-200 f2.8LII as I was concerned that the extending nature of the 24-105 would draw water from the melting snow in to the inside of the lens as I zoomed in and out, with the 70-200 being an internal zoom and focus lens I felt much safer, I spent the rest of the time shooting with that combo without extra waterproofing with no issues. Well apart from just before this sequence when I picked the camera up to shoot there was a snow drift in the hood! :eek: :eek: The camera was on the Black Rapid hanging with the hood facing in to the wind! ::) ;D ;D

4X3Z7736_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

4X3Z7737_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

4X3Z7740_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.
Amazingly Timed! I hope he is alright.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Some excellent panning shots Graham!
... and you picked very nice weather as well ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
razashaikh said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

With "he" you mean the car, right... ;)
Those cars are more precious and rare then people wanting to drive them :eek:

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi razashaikh.
Yes he was fine, it was a very slow graceful spin, I mean he was going quite quickly but the spin was slow, a couple of seconds to complete! The first shot shows 12:20:19 and the last shot 12:20:21.

This shot is pretty much where he came to rest, there was another shot but it had the rear sharp and the front blurred, (it doesn’t take much speed differential to blur at 1/40th sec ;) ) he waited for a gap and swung around and re-joined the race, however for the next few laps he seemed a bit more cautious! :)

Cheers, Graham.

razashaikh said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thanks for the compliment, and hmmm, very nice weather, weeell, not so much when you are standing in it watching car racing, though it did make for some different shots from usual!
You do know Goodwood was an old airfield don’t you ;) what airfields have is very open country around them not so much protection from the weathe! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Some excellent panning shots Graham!
... and you picked very nice weather as well ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Aw you didn’t just say that did you! ;D ;D
I think for the weekend, all drivers were ok, a couple of the cars, not so much, have a look at this one for a start, https://youtu.be/a_H7FODgFU8

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
razashaikh said:

With "he" you mean the car, right... ;)
Those cars are more precious and rare then people wanting to drive them :eek:

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

GN Photos

Expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed
Oct 20, 2016
Folsom, California, U.S.A.
Graham,

I appreciate your excellent panning technique. Especially at 1/40th second, very well done. Crazy weather conditions you and your equipment endured. It's scary to see those rare and historical race cars in those weather conditions, at speed. Here in California, we have the Monterey Historic Automobile Races. Someday my wife and I like to witness the Goodwood event, with the addition of aircraft and motorcycles. But back to your photography, excellent panning technique. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Geoff.
Thank you for your praise, though I’m not sure I’m worthy of such high praise, I think there is a large dose of luck involved. I took 550ish shots and have got down to 160ish left and some of those are paddock / pits shots so no panning there and a good number of those left are not that sharp, but catch something of interest, the rest were “should have gone to specsavers” shots, so blurred that you could barely make out the subject!
As for the cars, yes they were racing, no one could deny that, but they were being much more restrained than usual, it was almost balletic watching them!
Is the Monterey racing televised? It would be nice to see some historic racing from somewhere else! Goodwood is covered on satellite tv, can’t remember which channel.
If you are coming let me know, it would be great to meet up.
Thanks again.

Cheers, Graham.

GeoffN said:
Graham,

I appreciate your excellent panning technique. Especially at 1/40th second, very well done. Crazy weather conditions you and your equipment endured. It's scary to see those rare and historical race cars in those weather conditions, at speed. Here in California, we have the Monterey Historic Automobile Races. Someday my wife and I like to witness the Goodwood event, with the addition of aircraft and motorcycles. But back to your photography, excellent panning technique. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Valvebounce said:
Hi DSP, Roo, Matthew.
Thanks you for the compliments, yes Matthew, fun but cold, very cold!

Roo, an excellent set from the Australian Grand Prix, really like the first one, is the second one Xbox or PlayStation? :)

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham

LOL the steering wheels are certainly getting more complex with more buttons and controls added each year. There are about half a dozen more controls (excluding paddle shifters) on this wheel compared to a Renault wheel I shot in 2016 which also had half a dozen more controls than the one from a few years earlier. Not sure what, or how, else more they could fit on them but I guess they'll find a way :D

Upvote 0