Your favourite motorsports events

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
I’m just glad I don’t have to try to remember what each of those things controls and more importantly which two not to press ??? at the same time because it will cause a throwing all the toys out of the pram incident! :eek: ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi DSP, Roo, Matthew.
Thanks you for the compliments, yes Matthew, fun but cold, very cold!

Roo, an excellent set from the Australian Grand Prix, really like the first one, is the second one Xbox or PlayStation? :)

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham

LOL the steering wheels are certainly getting more complex with more buttons and controls added each year. There are about half a dozen more controls (excluding paddle shifters) on this wheel compared to a Renault wheel I shot in 2016 which also had half a dozen more controls than the one from a few years earlier. Not sure what, or how, else more they could fit on them but I guess they'll find a way :D

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Some more from the Goodwood Members Meet. 580 shots taken, only 80 left, and some of those aren’t great and were only kept for their content!

I don’t think this is being driven to its full potential, the exhaust manifold is not glowing cherry red! :eek: ::) ;D ;D
SE0A9027_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Blower Bentley sideways with opposite lock on a nearly dry track! :eek:
SE0A9063_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Oops something’s broken, or bigger bang!
SE0A9071_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Another pirouette, a bit more smokey than the one on the damp track!
SE0A9275_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A9276_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A9278_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thank you.
Yes, straight eight engine. Goodwood quite possibly has the widest range of engine types of any venue, from the little V twin (Villiers I think) on the three wheel Morgan to the huge V twin ex aero engine, to the straight 8s to the V16BRM to the ex aero W12 Napier and Brutus! :eek:
Not all engines types are there at the same time! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Click said:
Hi Graham,

Very nice series. Excellent panning. :)

+1 on that!

Does the first one really have an 8-in-line engine? (judging by the manifold...)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ladislav.
Last time I went to Silverstone for the classics, photography of the track was more or less limited to high in the stands due to the high intrusive fence, the pits and everything like that were open and accessible, it was a while ago though! :) I’m sure that you will enjoy the experience though.

Cheers, Graham.

Ladislav said:
This Saturday I'm going to Silverstone Classics for the first time - it is also my first visit to Silverstone ever. Any advice for newbie?
  • Anything I should not miss?
  • Anything I should rather skip?
  • What are good locations to get some nice unobstructed views for panning during race?

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
With Silverstone Classics this weekend I thought I would share a few images from 2016 (last time I went) I needed to get the images together for media accreditation so a decent reason to post some :D

One of the best motoring events on the UK calendar. I Remember 2016 it being a particularly great year for weather and pretty chuffed with some of the images I got! Especially the late pre 60's race then the Twilight Le Mans race after! Certainly my favourite race every year, glowing discs exhaust fire and the purple orange sky! Awesome. Cant wait!

You can see a few selects in the album below.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCdctdy

Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

N0. 78 1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

No.27 Nissan R91CK (1991) (Nova Engineering) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Upvote 0

tomscott

Ladislav said:
This Saturday I'm going to Silverstone Classics for the first time - it is also my first visit to Silverstone ever. Any advice for newbie?
  • Anything I should not miss?
  • Anything I should rather skip?
  • What are good locations to get some nice unobstructed views for panning during race?

The best place to be for a spectator photographer is at the loop, there are 2-3 photographer section, its a real hole in the fence for safety made for spectators but its the only one on the track that I can think of. That corner is always eventful.

Sideways Action, Historic Formula 1, Silverstone Classics 25th Anniversary by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Silverstone Classics 2014 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

On the other side there is a large straight called Wellington, there is also a great pace that points all the way down where the fence meets the rubber tyre barrier and also allows you to pan round the corner. These were shot from those two spectator photographic holes in the fence.

Jaguar XJR-14, No.8, Warwick, Group C Endurance, SIlverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Otherwise there aren't a great deal of places to get good panning unless you can get up in the stands.

Friday is Qualifying, Saturday and Sunday is race day. Saturday is club day also so pretty much everything you can think of will be in the and around the track with the car clubs, from turn of the century all the way to modern supercars. The clubs really aren't to be missed, if there are anniversaries generally there are the majority of existing cars. I was lucky one year as it was the 25th anniversary of the F40 and something like 50 F40s were present.

Ferrari F40 25 Years by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Ferrari F40 25 Years by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Silverstone-Classic-2012-Parade-1.jpg

I generally go for the weekend but give Friday a miss, concentrate on Saturday with the car clubs and the pits, Sunday for the racing.

Don't leave early, watch the twilight races as if your lucky you get the best light with the sun being infront of you at Loop giving you the effect like the Le Man cars above. Those are far the best, this year it looks like its Daytona. Some of my other favs are the pre 60s race, Jet Super Touring cars, historic F1,

Ive been fortunate to cover the event since 2013 and also show my cars.

TSP_SC (368 of 191) by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TSP_SC (402 of 191) by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TSP_SC (376 of 191) by Tom Scott, on Flickr

This year I am taking the 996 4S vert.

Porsche 996 Carrera 4 S Convertible, Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

If you fancy coming and saying hello it will be in the Porsche club section :)

If you want to have a look I have posted a few images from each year, not all of them but a couple of my faves.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjAXTLqQ

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHy3uqn

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk163t2z

https://flic.kr/s/aHskgRLeog

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCdctdy

Upvote 0
Thanks Tom. Awesome pictures and some great info.

Looking at the map, The Loop and Wellington Straight are almost next to each other and clubs will be close as well so it should be doable without need to move all around the place. I assume the hole in the fence will be on the inside of The Loop where Village B grandstand is. If it is the only place with a good view for photographers on the road level it will be terrible busy, won't it?

I also wanted to have a look into paddocks.

Event-Map.jpg

Upvote 0

tomscott

Ladislav said:
Thanks Tom. Awesome pictures and some great info.

Looking at the map, The Loop and Wellington Straight are almost next to each other and clubs will be close as well so it should be doable without need to move all around the place. I assume the hole in the fence will be on the inside of The Loop where Village B grandstand is. If it is the only place with a good view for photographers on the road level it will be terrible busy, won't it?

I also wanted to have a look into paddocks.

Event-Map.jpg

No its on the outside so you follow the pedestrian path. You can walk down from car club 9 section and the first gap that looks down the straight, the second is on the other side of the curve where the TV symbol is on the map near the village corner.

Believe it or not its not really because you have to walk, the next area of interest is the international pits and its about a 30 min walk so not many people take the path. The bus wont drop you off there so a lot off people dont know its there. Its only a 5 or 10 min walk from area 9 so not a big deal. The place is really easy to navigate around you can just jump on and off the buses to get to the main areas, the good photographic spots are not really on the stops which is why the media cars are really helpful as they drop you anywhere but you need media accreditation.

The other pit is worth seeing too the national paddock usually a lot of cars and work going on and not a lot of people. Not difficult to miss its usually behind the Ferrari club. Cars are usually parked up in great positions too.

Lotus 16 368, No.1 Philip Walker, 1959, Froilan Gonzalez Trophy for HGPCA pre 62 Grand Prix, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Ferrari 250 SWB, No.60 Jackie Oliver, 1960, Pre 63 GT Historic Cars, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Morris Mini Cooper, No.29 Richard Parsons, Under 2ltr Touring Cars, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

The international pits is like very busy lots going on and loads of great photographic opportunity

Just about got my ears blown off sitting in garage one as these pre 60's grand Prix cars were coming through

Maserati TecMec, No.27, Tony Wood, Pit Lane, Froilan Gonzalez Trophy for HGPCA Pre 61 Grand Prix, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Most likely see some famous faces

Sir Jackie Stewart, Duke of Kent, Pit Lane, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

There are also rows of cars ready to race outside the international pits too

Courage C26S, No.71, Georg Kjallgren, 1989, Group C Endurance, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Pit lane is always busy

Aston Martin DBR4, No.12, Wolfgang Friedrichs, 1959, Froilan Gonzalez Trophy for HGPCA Pre 61 Grand Prix, Silverstone Classics 2013 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

The garages are a good place to go toward the end of the day as the light is always good with the reflective grey floor

Can you tell im excited haha

Upvote 0

tomscott

Now the hard work begins... coming home with 10k images over the weekend ball ache finding those keepers!

Hope all had a good weekend!

37630445_840124684093_7046374279834763264_n.jpg

Here's me and my dad parked up early at about 7:45am within the huge mass of probably more than 600 Porsches at the owners club! As usual an awesome weekend, shattered today!

Upvote 0