Your most "exotic" lens ?

Jan 13, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
I don't think any of mine are 'exotic' but some have unique attribites among Canon's current lens lineup...

• Physically longest 'in use' lens (600/4L IS II with hood)
  • Largest physical aperture diameter (600/4L IS II)
  • Physically shortest lens (tie between 40/2.8 and M22/2)
  • Highest native magnification (MP-E 65mm)
  • Widest tilt-shift lens (TS-E 17L)

What happened to the 70-200 II?

Edit - Oh ... just realized there are only the primes :-X ;D

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I don't think any of mine are 'exotic' but some have unique attribites among Canon's current lens lineup...

• Physically longest 'in use' lens (600/4L IS II with hood)
  • Largest physical aperture diameter (600/4L IS II)
  • Physically shortest lens (tie between 40/2.8 and M22/2)
  • Highest native magnification (MP-E 65mm)
  • Widest tilt-shift lens (TS-E 17L)

Where are your otii? ::)

Upvote 0
zeppo said:
My two exotic lens... 50 1.0 and 200 1.8

33711282e8b343bc85c84a51c003cf7d.jpg

Wow. That 50mm 1.0L is very rare and expensive. Do you happen to know how Canon produced? I dont like the fact its not weather-sealed.

Upvote 0
I have an Izumanon close up lens

iz1.jpg

The only problem is that I can't remember ever buying one.. Up until recently, I really did not have the money to casually invest in photography equipment so pretty much every lens I bought was a big thing.

But this is in my bag. What is funny is that on some of the forums, other photographers have written the same thing about having this lens but not remembering ever buying it. (cue creepy music)

Not that there is any real reason why anyone would want to buy this lens as it is pretty crummy

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
retroreflection said:
JMZawodny
Your third picture clearly shows an aperture ring. It could be jammed, but it was designed to go to f32.

That was why I posted that photo and included the parenthetical comment. I'm not going to force anything until I more completely understand this lens. Given the rarity, it seems most unlikely that I would have a second copy of this lens. Nevertheless, I do. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, that second copy has been mercilessly gutted (the front ring is missing so I do not know its serial number). Only the last lens of the original six is present. Most of the mechanics are still present and will offer the opportunity to study the mechanism and the development of an approach to assembly and disassembly. Whatever I do, the process will be documented and eventually shared.

Update: I had a brief moment of clear thinking that revealed just how little I know about this lens. I removed the Kapton tape and freed the aperture adjustment ring. The iris is indeed present and fully operational. I've only had this lens for a few days, most of which was spent on figuring out how to mount it on my 5D2.

Update 2: I've added a photo to show both the size and the fact that the aperture is indeed adjustable. The camera attached to the lens is my 5D2 with battery grip. I needed a 12mm extension to get the flange distance just about right.

Attachments

• IMG_7375_small.jpg
    IMG_7375_small.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_7383_small.jpg
    IMG_7383_small.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
Upvote 0

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
My most exotic lens would be the EBC Fujinon-T 135mm f/2.5.

It's a vintage oldie, but in great condition. Fully manual with an M42 thread. I use an adapter to mount it on my 6D. I glued a chip on the adapter so I have EXIF info and AF confirmation on the camera.

I bought it to experiment a bit with the 135mm range, and to see what all the fuss is about with these old lenses. It cost me only € 70,- which isn't bad for such a lens I think :)

I'll see if I can come up with some pictures.

Attachments

• Fuji_01.jpg
    Fuji_01.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Fuji_01a.jpg
    Fuji_01a.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Fuji_02.jpg
    Fuji_02.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Fuji_03.jpg
    Fuji_03.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Over the past few years I've bought quite a few pre-AF era MF lenses, and I use them more than anything else - they're one reason I like Sony FF mirrorless. I'm not sure if any of them are really exotic (certainly not by the standards of JMZawody's!) but if the relative scarcity of e-mount adapters is any indication it's probably my Zeiss Jena Prakticar 80mm 1.8, an optically marvelous little lens -- albeit in ways that aren't at all exotic (unlike, say, some of the swirly-bokeh Zeiss and Russian lenses or the Tair 11, with its 20-blade aperture).

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
JumboShrimp said:
Olympus OM-System 50mm f/1.2. Near perfect condition. Purchased from KEH. Canon EF chipped adapter (shown). Incredibly small and light for an f/1.2, but MF for this thing is a bit tricky, to say the least. Absurd and beautiful bokeh.

I was wondering why it was rated as "near perfect" and then I found the speck of dust on the lens.
Beautiful photo of a fine lens.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
JumboShrimp said:
Olympus OM-System 50mm f/1.2. Near perfect condition. Purchased from KEH. Canon EF chipped adapter (shown). Incredibly small and light for an f/1.2, but MF for this thing is a bit tricky, to say the least. Absurd and beautiful bokeh.
Still got mine.... mounted on my OM-1 :)

FANTASTIC LENS!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
J.R. said:
While I have a number of lenses, the 'exotic' ones, to me, are (a) the 40mm f/2.8 pancake; and (b) the 11-24mm f/4L

Now that I have a full frame camera I wish I had the 40mm pancake back.

I keep seeing it listed as exotic, but I never thought of it that way. It must be, I guess.

I don't think I have anything exotic... well, my 5D Mark III is.

Well, I guess the Canon EF 135 f/2L.

Upvote 0