Your Photography Beginning

I came from a family that bought the odd Kodak instant camera to take photos at birthdays but that was a very rare thing and I can't say I identified anybody in my family as a photography.

Initially I picked up a Canon Powershot as a companion for my little journies I made with my ex, taking pics of the places we visited. And of course she loved having her pic taken!

I went through a very dark patch in a space of two weeks. My dad passed away and the very next morning, I got an eviction notice to leave my home of 32 years.
One of my colleagues who called to sympathize also dropped me some news that our jobs may not be safe.

Days before I buried my dad, my relationship of 6 years also ended and that was when I decided to get a lot more serious about photography, initially to fill a massive hole in my life.

It wasn't long before I bought a Canon 500D, 18-55 & 55-250 bundle. Each photo I took stoked my passion for photography and I've not looked back!

Well, that is my story!

Upvote 0
In the late 1960's I was 9 years old, my older brother had Playboy's hidden in his room and I found them. I remember a picture of naked women lined up around a swimming pool. It was then that I found my dream to be a photographer, and specifically a Playboy photographer. A dream I have yet to fulfill.

Later, black and white photography was one of my interests in high school. Developing our own film and producing our own photos.

I moved away from that, in my 20's and 30's I enjoyed hunting. I enjoyed the out of doors and wildlife. I always thought how great would it be if I had a big lens and camera and could hunt year round. But, at that time it was not to be, too many kids and not enough money to pursue the hobby.

Jump forward to about ten years ago, good job and enough money to pursue the hobby. Kids are grown now. I still enjoy being out of doors and prefer hunting year round with my 500mm. It is the best kind of catch and release.

But sad to say, my wife will not let me pursue my first dream of being a Playboy photographer.

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
I came from a family that bought the odd Kodak instant camera to take photos at birthdays but that was a very rare thing and I can't say I identified anybody in my family as a photography.

Initially I picked up a Canon Powershot as a companion for my little journies I made with my ex, taking pics of the places we visited. And of course she loved having her pic taken!

I went through a very dark patch in a space of two weeks. My dad passed away and the very next morning, I got an eviction notice to leave my home of 32 years.
One of my colleagues who called to sympathize also dropped me some news that our jobs may not be safe.

Days before I buried my dad, my relationship of 6 years also ended and that was when I decided to get a lot more serious about photography, initially to fill a massive hole in my life.

It wasn't long before I bought a Canon 500D, 18-55 & 55-250 bundle. Each photo I took stoked my passion for photography and I've not looked back!

Well, that is my story!

Great story. The creative process can heal.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
I was given a Kodak X-15 for Christmas when I was quite young.

My first real camera was a Pentax Super Program, which I still own. It works, but has not been used in decades. My last film camera was a Pentax Zoom90 WR.

When I was in graduate school, I had the enviable assignment of being the TA for the Lab section for the Intro to Astro course. One of my responsibilities was to to teach undergraduates astrophotography. We used 4x5 cameras on the university's 24" RC telescope as well as a solar telescope. We all had great fun taking photos and doing the darkroom work.

My first digital was an Epson PhotoPC (CP-100) which was soon followed by a Kodak DC265.

It has been all Canon since then. Having a young family as digital was also coming of age I upgraded frequently in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

My first DSLR was the Canon 300D and then the original 5D.

Along the way there were a couple of "point and shoots" for my wife to stick in her purse. My favorite was the S30 - fabulous IQ at the time - I shot an aurora photo with the S30 that ended up on the front page of our regional newspaper in November of 2004.

Upvote 0
I started doing video in the '90s I wanted to understand how it worked VHS camera, and a photographer friend explained to me the principles of ISO, diaphragm aperture, shutter speed.

I bought an Olympus OM1 (full manual), fixed-power flash, and film Fuji ISO200.
In 2004 I moved to Canon EOS 300V + 28-90mm + TTL Flash.
In 2006 I bought Canon Rebel XT kit lens, but continued using film Fuji ISO200 in serious events where I was going to do an album.
In 2007 I bought a Sigma 18-200mm thinking that this would satisfy all my needs for lens. How much I was innocent back then ... ::) :p

Today I invest in bright lenses, and any current cameras overcome my limitations of the past.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
My Dad gave me an old Argus C3 and I started shooting Tri-ex while in college. Later, I got a Ricoh 3mm with a couple of lenses (50 and a 135 I think) and tried using a friend's dark-room. This evolved into a list of point and shoot cameras and even a Nikon 35mm Advantix camera (anyone remember those?). As digital came into popularity, I had a series of small, frustrating because of the lag time cameras (lots of photos of water while whale watching because the whale submerged by the time the shutter actuated). This led to my Canon G6 (I still have) and next an XTi that got me "re-hooked" into the SLR / DSLR world. Since, I've had a 50d and then went FF with my 5diii and G.A.S. ever since.

So that's how I got here. But, I have a friend who shoots a large format Hassi.........Uh oh! :)

Upvote 0
In late August of 1982 I got my first full time job. I took my entire paycheck and purchased the Canon AE1-Program and two lenses (funny that Playboy was mentioned earlier cause I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for the camera in the magazine). Been hooked ever since.

On photography, not Playboy. :eek:

Tried digital in 2005 but hated it. Finally got going with digial in 2012 with a Nikon D3200, followed by the 7D, followed by the 5D3 and a year ago, the prize: the 1DX. I'm about 2k away from being able pre-order the 1DX II. 8)

Upvote 0
My step father got me interested in photography when I was in my teens, primarily for railroad photography. I advanced from a tiny 110 hand me down to a Nikon FM2 in a few years. I shot quite a bit of Kodachrome 64 for several years, but by the time I went to college, I had lost interest in photography. I eventually sold the FM2 around 10 years ago when my wife was pushing to clear out un-used items.

In 2008 our family started traveling quite a bit and we were visiting some very cool and beautiful locations. My wife was always the family photographer and took all the pictures. By 2010 my interest had grown enough for me to buy an inexpensive Nikon P&S. I was soon taking more pictures than my wife. I quickly became frustrated by the limitations of the point and shoot, since I had experienced with a much more capable film camera over a decade earlier.

The event that caused me to buy my first DSLR was an award ceremony at a local football game where the lag time between shots on my point and shoot caused me to miss the key moments. I decided at that point I needed something faster and more capable. I looked at Nikon and Canon entry level DSLR's and eventually settled on a 550D/T2i with a kit lens. It was a great choice and I took 10's of thousands of pictures with it before moving on to newer cameras.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
My photography started around age 14 with astro-photography, trying to capture images from my telescope. Out of necessity I learned developing film and printing in the darkroom, and started a photography club at my high school. Within a year or two my first SLR - a Practica - was worn down and with money I made on the sidelines from my 'hobby' I purchased the then revolutionary Olympus OM-2 and some lenses. When I went to university my telescope had to go and I switched completely to landscape/nature photography on slide film.

After university I accidentally started my own digital imaging technology company as a result of experimenting with photography and graphics computers. For many years I had little time for photography but when my company became closer involved with digital photography in the late nineties I began experimenting with digital cameras for private use. Around 2003 I finally sold the OM2 gear and went completely digital with the Sony DSC-F717, a camera that I liked very much. One year later I also purchased a Canon 300D mostly because the Sony digicam was too slow for people shots.

I still like experimenting, both with new technology and new creative possibilities. One of the first applications of digital for me was infrared photography (soo much easier than with IR film!!) using an IR-converted DSC-F717. Currently my main subject is dragonflies (one of the few types of colorful 'wildlife' that is available in my area ...). I'm using a 450D DSLR that replaced the 300D in 2008 and looking for better gear to improve my images and dive deeper into the subject ;-)

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
My first camera was an old film camera ( don't remember the model) and I didn't even finish my first roll of film. I was around 8-10 y/o. I may process it sometime in the future. Then parents bought me a panasonic lumix P&S my first year of undergrad. It got sand inside and a bunch of dust. I had saved up about 1k at that point and decided to jump into a dslr. I took a couple months of research and bought the T2i. Absolutely great camera but took terrible photos for the first 2-3 years. maybe 4? ;D I started purchasing good quality lenses and now have an SL1 after the T2i failed on me. Absolutely love to shoot! It's my stress relief and brings some extra cash on the side. What better hobby?! Only drawback is GAS. serious stuff!

Upvote 0
Was researching and writing a water production and conservation article - freelance - hiking up in the Sierras to track source water. Five days, on the fifth day, the journal sent a photographer with me. I got paid $600 for the article, she spent eight hours and got $500 ...

I immediately went out and bought a camera, learned to use it, and it doubled my income because I could both write and shoot for the same assignments. Eventually became more of a photographer and less of a writer, and eventually added sports to my nature focus...

Upvote 0
When I was around 12 years old, my sister gave me her old Zenit 12xp and taught me the basics (aperture, shutter and ISO speed). After a while the photometer stopped working so I was forced to develop a good eye to estimate exposure (no internet at that time to read things like sunny 16 or anything).
In the university (studying something completely unrelated to photography) I learned to develop and print, but just during that time the shutter broke. I remember being very sad because the shutter was stuck open so I lost a complete roll of film containing what I hoped were good photographs. I had no money at that time so I had to abandon the hobby for a long time.
Fast forward many years and I bought a used 300D with 18-55, and learned the digital workflow, this time with the help of the internet ;)

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

My dad had an old Konica Auto-Reflex FTA bought during his tour in Vietnam. I found it in his Army footlocker... this was early 80's for me. I took BW film of trees in the fog the first day out and vividly remember waiting for the film to come back from the developer. I was hooked. In HS I signed up immediately for photography class and learned to develop my own film.

I was an avid photographer for years all the way through college and grad school. I remember buying my first digital camera at Sears for a ridiculous amount of money and at the time the conversation was how you'll need at least 5mp to get anywhere close to film. Mine was a 3mp camera but that didn't matter to me as I was over the moon with the new digital.

In 99' I started a company called KaloBios with 2 other people and we went from 3 people to about 20 by 2001. I had been working freelance as photographer on the side the entire time. As we recruited new staff we had just merged with a company and needed corporate headshots... A pro was hired and the day he was supposed to show up he flaked. So I stepped in, took the portraits and the pay the pro was supposed to get I got instead.

I used that money to fund a proper studio. I was at a cross roads in science and felt the calling. Started full time in 2003 and have not looked back. Probably the best move I ever made as it turned a passion into a job that is still fun to this day. Not to say it's been all roses and champagne but I do love going to work.

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
My first camera was a 110 Pocket Instamatic that I received as a birthday present when I was 9 or 10. After using that for about 3 years I got to use my uncle's FTb one day and knew that I wanted an upgrade! Unfortunately, instead of an SLR, I got a Yashica rangefinder for Christmas. Not a bad camera, but not what I wanted.

A couple of years later I purchased a Canon TX, which was essentially a stripped down FTb (no self timer, top shutter of 1/500) and a cheap 3rd party 135/3.5 lens. I loved it, but when I loaned it to a friend to take on a trip it was stolen. His parents made good on it and my next purchase a few months later in early 1980 was an A-1. I shot photos for the high school yearbook with that one, and acquired a Tamron 70-210 and a Canon 28/2.8 to go with it over the next year.

The A-1 and I went off to college where I started shooting for the school paper and yearbook. The early stuff was pretty bad, but over the next 4 years I acquired better skills and more gear. By the time I was done with college, the A-1 had a motor drive, and I had dumped the Tamron in favor of primes, ending up with a 85/1.8, a 135/2.0, a 200/2.8 and a 300/4.0 to go along with the 50/1.8 that came with the A-1 and the 28/2.8 that I had picked up in high school. Oh, and I got my FTb, having purchased one used to use as a second body. :) In early 1984 I also got a Hasselblad 500C/M, but had to sell it the next summer to pay bills. :(

After college I shot quite a bit for fun for the first couple of years, up until a couple of years after my first daughter was born. Then I kind of went dormant, with work, kids and joining a volunteer fire department consuming my time and so the cameras only came out for the usual birthdays, holidays and vacations, along with several family weddings. My wife did buy me a used F-1 (1st gen) in the mid-90s but the quality of my photos declined.

Things picked up about 10 years ago when my youngest brother gave me a 30D for my birthday (history repeats?) because he was tired of watching me work the old film gear. I replaced the kit lens about 8 months later with a 17-85 and added a grip. My middle daughter now has this combo, sans the grip. About 5 years ago I got a 70-200/2.8L IS II for Christmas. Two years ago I picked up a used 50D, but the shutter button stopped working properly last winter so last spring I upgraded to a 5DMk3 and a 24-105 to go along with the 70-200 and got a 2x III extender. I have been shooting much more in the past several years, getting better again, and learning Lightroom.

Upvote 0
Always had an appreciation for photography so figured that my daughter's entrance into high school volleyball would be a good time to start. While trying to figure out how to turn it (a Canon T1i) on a few parents said, "Look, we have a team photographer."
I screamed "NO!!!", but they didn't get it. Immediately bought the Michael the Mentor training DVD for the T1i and went to work. Relentless daily study with that and online and I'm fairly hooked.
Have done about 12 or more paid shoots and tons of volunteer work (for community and Veteran causes, etc. including fundraising postcards and calendars).
My flickr favorites are at www.flickr.com/photos/corysteiner/ not including the paid shoots.
I also have a community Facebook page strictly dedicated to photography that has almost 800 local peeps on already. Anything not photography related gets deleted which has demonstrated that photography brings all people together.

Upvote 0
I saved up my money to buy my first camera, a Canon FTb, when I was 13 years old. It came with a 50mm 1.8 lens and that was the only lens I had for almost 5 years. (I got a 75-300 for my HS graduation gift from my Mom)

I took a few Adult Education Photography classes on weekends and in High School I was the school newspaper photographer for 2 years. During those two years, I still only had the 50 1.8 and it was certainly an education to shoot football games at night. After the games I would return to the High School and process and print the shots, in their darkroom, sometimes staying there until the morning hours.

After High School, I worked for 5 years at a custom photo lab printing Type-R photos up to 16x20.

I was able to land a job overseas, on a small island, as Manager of a one hour photo lab which also had contracts with hotels and optional tours to shoot souvenir photos for their tourist guests. At that time, all of our work was conventional processing and printing. Our photo operations for the shoots consumed lots of film, and there were times when I would fly to the Philippines with two large suitcases, fill them up with film, and fly back home. At times I would carry 1500 rolls of film.... I always remember asking for a "hand check" of my luggage and the look on their face when they opened the cases.... :) I worked there for 11 years and ended up shooting just about everything... food, weddings, calendars, postcards, aerial, interiors, you name it. It was hard work as sometimes I was learning as I was shooting (and mostly on slide film), but very fulfilling. I still miss that job.....

Fast forward 15 years.... Im now in the Philippines. Over the past year and a half I have scanned all my negatives and slides, even the ones back from High School. I stored the files on two redundant external drives.... and just after I scanned the last batch one of the drives died... (always have a back-up).

Just a quick thanks to all the regular contributors here.... I have always enjoyed this forum and find something fascinating every time I visit.... best regards

Upvote 0