Your *worst* hdr creations ("skeleton in the closet" thread)

Did you ever like surreal hdr tonemapping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Marsu42 said:
wsmith96 said:
I've dabbled with HDR a bit and ended up with a cartoonish looking picture of my house. I ended up laughing at it because it looked ridiculous.

What about contributing a shot?

Here you go. My house taken with at T1i and 10-22 Lens. I didn't think the house itself was bad, but the sky (setting sun) looked odd to me. Also, pay no mind to the sad looking weed bed in the front of my house. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2522_HDR.jpg
    IMG_2522_HDR.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2527_HDR.jpg
    IMG_2527_HDR.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 423
Upvote 0
wsmith96 said:
I didn't think the house itself was bad, but the sky (setting sun) looked odd to me.

In my experience, with these auto-tonemapped hdr shots it's quite easy to get the sky colors looking really strange - as proven by you :)

SwampYankee said:
how about this beauty?

Thanks, excellent entry :-> ... for a tonemapped shot, the darks are still rather dark (= it could have gotten even uglier), but the post-nuclear war sun is really something!

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
but the result is pretty horrible. WFIW I don't do HDR anymore.

This is a good example why hdr "flat" tonemapping doesn't replace artificial lighting - at some compression level, it simply doesn't look real anymore even if there would be more contrast in it.

Keep 'em coming people, show that you're brave enough to stand by your early creations :)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Did give it a try, but feel like is too REAL ;)
i-mzPP9TG-X3.jpg

i-cmnvsQc-X3.jpg

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
When I started out with photography, I did try the tone mapping technique, only to never look at the images again. Well, not until now...

Those were shot during my stay in the Netherlands, no needs for critics and comments.

Now, I feel like regular processing of images is already difficult so I better leave HDR tone mapping out of the equation. At worse, I might try to combine exposures, both no more HDR.

Attachments

• Trollhuis-2.jpg
    Trollhuis-2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 415
  • SailBoatHDR-2.jpg
    SailBoatHDR-2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 414
Upvote 0