Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus APO-Distagon

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
Eldar said:
It is till some time to go before the deadly amongst us will hold one of these. Having the other two, I believe this will be a difficult one to resist. But at 1.35kg it is a massive mastodon ...

While we wait, here is the first review I have found.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/10/16/review-zeiss-28-14-otus/

better yet: available to pre-order already - $4990.00
worst meanwhile: Expected availability - End of February 2016

so you might have only two/three months to liquidate your kidney - go easy on the eggnog ;D

Upvote 0
NWPhil said:
Eldar said:
It is till some time to go before the deadly amongst us will hold one of these. Having the other two, I believe this will be a difficult one to resist. But at 1.35kg it is a massive mastodon ...

While we wait, here is the first review I have found.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/10/16/review-zeiss-28-14-otus/

better yet: available to pre-order already - $4990.00
worst meanwhile: Expected availability - End of February 2016

so you might have only two/three months to liquidate your kidney - go easy on the eggnog ;D
I think we can agree that, at that price (and weight), it will not be a high volume lens ... ::)

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Apparently B&H started shipping this week. Anyone who has it on order?

I preordered the other two Otus lenses, but not this one. I am a bit turned off by its size and weight. However, if the reviews are raving enough ... ::)

For me, this lens is very tempting...

I have never shot anything with more focal length than the canon 200mm f/2.8L, so I don't have telephoto lens experience. However, I do own the Otus55 en 85. Do you think that there will be a big difference in feel and practical usability between the weight and size of the Otus85 and the Otus28?

Upvote 0
niels123 said:
Eldar said:
Apparently B&H started shipping this week. Anyone who has it on order?

I preordered the other two Otus lenses, but not this one. I am a bit turned off by its size and weight. However, if the reviews are raving enough ... ::)

For me, this lens is very tempting...

I have never shot anything with more focal length than the canon 200mm f/2.8L, so I don't have telephoto lens experience. However, I do own the Otus55 en 85. Do you think that there will be a big difference in feel and practical usability between the weight and size of the Otus85 and the Otus28?
I believe, as long as you are willing to carry it, it will be a fantastic lens. I have seen a few early reviews and sample images and it looks stunning. However, at that price it should be something you really think you´re going to use a lot.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
I got it yesterday, somewhat unexpectedly. Did not know it was coming! Was a pleasant surprise.

Wrote about it yesterday after Chris announced the shipping -testing it on a 5DsR- can't find the post today.

Sharpness, contrast and colors were great! Details were fantastic at 100%.

Heavy like a brick, built like a tank!

A landscaper's dream has come true

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
caMARYnon said:
Out of interest here is a comparison with the 35L II:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1030&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=994&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

I also superimposed the Zeiss' MTFs for the 28 Otus over the 55 Otus.
According to the Zeiss charts 28 Otus falls short of it's longer namesake. This agrees with what I see in TDP crops:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1030&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=917&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Attachments

• 28-Otus_vs_55_Otus.jpg
    28-Otus_vs_55_Otus.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
StudentOfLight said:
I also superimposed the Zeiss' MTFs for the 28 Otus over the 55 Otus.
According to the Zeiss charts 28 Otus falls short of it's longer namesake.

Comparing MTFs for different focal length lenses is apples & oranges. All of Canon's current white superteles have flat lines at the top of the charts, & the wide-angles look like spaghetti. Does this mean that all wide-angles suck? Of course not. Look at Canon's MTF charts for wide-angle zooms e.g. the 16-35L & you'll see that they provide different superimposed data for the wide & long ends of the lens.

Michael Reichmann has a great guide explaining how to read MTF charts & what can be inferred from them.

Upvote 0