Zeiss APO Sonnar T 135mm f2.0 ZE

Hello - I've been lurking here for some months and decided to join the fun.

A little about myself: I have been a 4x5 and 617 panoramic photographer for many years (mostly landscape); I have had a Canon DSLR for a long time, but never for "serious use". When the 5DSR was announced, I preordered one with the thought that it might be good enough for me to give up shooting film with 4x5 and 617. After weeks of testing, I decided that it would replace my large cameras, which are now being sold.

I'm in the process of replacing most of my older Canon lenses with Zeiss primes. Here are a few images from the flower garden, using the 135/2. It's certainly a marvelous lens and I see myself using it frequently!

EDIT: 3 photos immediately following this post.

Upvote 0

Al Chemist

Be kind to a stranger, it is contagious!
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks all for sharing your art!

I started my love for Zeiss lenses with the 21mm f2.8. That has evolved ultimately into the 50 MP, 100MP and finally the 135mm APO Sonnar. I really like all of these. I use them with the 6D although they work great with the 5D3. I have the alternate focusing screen on the 6D.

Since the 135mm is the hardest of all to nail focus, I tried a test handheld using just the viewfinder (ignoring the focus confirmation), using the focus confirmation beep and red glow on the focusing point and finally live view at the highest magnification. Upon working up the 3 images and really enlarging, I could not tell any appreciable difference between them. I believe that the auto-confirm operates pretty much like auto-focus does only you are the motor and you have the wonderful long-throw focus ring...why I gave up my Canon 100 L macro and got the Zeiss.

Attachments

• Sagebrush Lizard 135Z 6D.jpg
    Sagebrush Lizard 135Z 6D.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 294
  • Mallard Hen 135Z 6D.jpg
    Mallard Hen 135Z 6D.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 279
  • Maple Leaf 135Z 6D 1.jpg
    Maple Leaf 135Z 6D 1.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 310
  • River 135Z 6D.jpg
    River 135Z 6D.jpg