Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 Distagon

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
On a recent Holiday with my Family (current, still travelling), I decided for the first time, I think ever, to take just Manual Focus Lenses, I ended up with the Zeiss 21f/2.8, Zeiss Otus 55f/1.4 & the Zeiss 135f/2, all being used on the 1Dx with the Ec-s screen fitted.

In good light all of these lenses are relatively easy to find focus, once found, all produce amazingly sharp Images with wonderful Contrast.

In poor light it's a different matter, I found Tripod & Focussing via the LCD screen was , at least in my case, a must, again, once focus is found, the lenses all perform better than anything I own from Canon, and I seem to have a reasonable amount of Canon L Glass.

But for several weeks now I've begun to feel more and more attuned to these Manual Focus Lenses, to the point where in my own Imaging I feel with the exception of Wildlife, the Zeiss Lenses will become more and more my go to Lenses for Landscape, Portrait & anything that moves........ sloooowly.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
em158.

Word by word, I agree with you whole heartedly. From the 2nd para onwards
I have bought the Otus 55 and the 135 F2 recently, more on impulse than anything. In the past, I have sold the 35mm Zeiss as I could not get used to the manual focus!

But, now, I am getting used to them, sloooowly, and I just cant describe my happiness. They are totally in a different league. So far, I have only owned Canon L lenses but now onwards, this will change. In fact, for my Dec. India trip, both these lenses will go and I am hoping the Otus 85 mm comes out before that!

They make everything look amazing - I have not experienced much like this except with canon 200 mm F2L and the 600mm F4MK II.

Upvote 0
Good to see some posts again Edward. You show (again) that you have a good eye for this. But like some others, I wonder where the claws, teeth and tusks are ;)

Having had as much time as you´ve had, traveling through Japan must have been phenomenal. In my next life, I´ll copy you!

I also fully share your enthusiasm for the Zeiss primes. I am totally sold and will most likely preorder any new Otus they release, regardless of focal length. You can really look forward to get your hands on the Otus 85. Just as good as the 55.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Eldar said:
Good to see some posts again Edward. You show (again) that you have a good eye for this. But like some others, I wonder where the claws, teeth and tusks are ;)

Having had as much time as you´ve had, traveling through Japan must have been phenomenal. In my next life, I´ll copy you!

I also fully share your enthusiasm for the Zeiss primes. I am totally sold and will most likely preorder any new Otus they release, regardless of focal length. You can really look forward to get your hands on the Otus 85. Just as good as the 55.

Hi Eldar, believe me when I say, the Teeth, Tusks & Claws are sadly missed, but as I mentioned on another thread re this point, being happily married & staying that way requires the ultimate sacrifice from time to time. Fortunately I was able to steer the sacrificial path via Japan for 4 weeks, Bali for 3 weeks & Burma for 2 weeks, currently heading to Sth Africa though for 2 weeks at Mala Mala, where teeth, claws & bad attitude still abound.

I found the recent Zeiss only trip very enlightening, in particular the Camera I chose as my back up, the Sony a7r, showed quickly it's finer point (The Sensor) and it's drawbacks, everything else. Fortunately I have 2 Sons, my eldest will now happily own the a7r, I wait patiently now for the High MP 1D something from Canon, I fear it could well be a long sad wait while looking over my shoulder with MP envy at the chaps with the current non Canon crop of +/- 50 MP sensor Bodies.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Rectified the fact that after 26 Years in Indonesia, I had never visited Borobudur, visited this amazing structure 3 mornings in a Row, at 0430 to beat the crowds, not many had the incentive at that hour, worth it though, this structure at sunrise is breathtaking.

1Dx & Otus 55 @ f/1.4

Attachments

• Borobudur.jpg
    Borobudur.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
What are people's thoughts on the Otus' switch to a rubber coated focus ring? How does it feel compared to the metal on older lenses?
I think both are good and I live happily with both. But the Otus focusing mechanism is smoother than the others, so that adds to it. If I had to choose I´d pick the Otus, but it might be because of the very smooth and also very precise movement just as much as the rubber coating. i also like the shape of the Otus lenses. They are simply good to hold.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
pdirestajr said:
What are people's thoughts on the Otus' switch to a rubber coated focus ring? How does it feel compared to the metal on older lenses?
I think both are good and I live happily with both. But the Otus focusing mechanism is smoother than the others, so that adds to it. If I had to choose I´d pick the Otus, but it might be because of the very smooth and also very precise movement just as much as the rubber coating. i also like the shape of the Otus lenses. They are simply good to hold.

Thanks Eldar!
I'm intrigued by this lens as I've been contemplating the Zeiss 50mm f/2 for a while. Will have to try them out.

Upvote 0