Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (AUGUST 23, 2018 AT 1:01 A.M. EDT) – Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the full-frame (Nikon FX–format) Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6 mirrorless cameras, as well as NIKKOR Z lenses, featuring a new, larger-diameter mount to enable the next generation of ultimate optical performance.
Mirrorless Reinvented
The new Nikon Z mount system is comprised of mirrorless cameras and compatible NIKKOR Z lenses and accessories. This system has been realized through the pursuit of a new dimension in optical performance. It has inherited Nikon’s tradition of quality, superior imaging technology, intuitive operability and high reliability, all innovated from its digital SLR cameras.
At the heart of the Z mount system is the new, larger-diameter mount, which unlocks further possibilities of lens design. The Z mount system will offer a variety of high-performance lenses, including the fastest lens in Nikon history, with f/0.951. Additionally, the new mount adapter...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
If I were Nikon, I'd work heavily with a third party company like Metabones to build an adapter for Canon EF lenses. This is currently a huge selling point for Sony.
In my case, I'm almost at my wits end with the lack of innovation in Canon bodies. However, I have so much invested in glass that I'm not moving anywhere overnight. With Sony, I can move slowly - start with my Canon lenses and eventually replace with native ones.
Nikon, however, makes more sense to migrate from Canon. While Sony still doesn't have equivalents for most of my lenses, Nikon does. They also have much better ergonomics.
This is also a warning shot to Canon. I won't have the budget to move anywhere until early next year, but if they don't impress by then they're going to be in major trouble.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
If I were Nikon, I'd work heavily with a third party company like Metabones to build an adapter for Canon EF lenses. This is currently a huge selling point for Sony.

Indeed at the A7RII launch Sony were specifically showing the Metabones adaptor and promoting it as a benefit of their system. I would not have bought an A7RII myself without the Metabones adaptor even though, now that I have them, I tend to use native lenses 95% of the time with my A7RII.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've never been that bothered about mirrorless; the only benefits that interested me were smaller size (but the lenses always seem large for FF) & I like the way on Olympus cameras you can see a long exposure developing on the screen as you take the shot.

Although nice looking the Nikon bodies don't look that small (wonder how it would compare to my 6D MKII) & lenses will still be the same size if you use the adaptor.

I may be missing the point but still don't see the need to move to mirrorless myself (apart from perhaps a Fuji XT series for portability)

Upvote 0
I see that Nikon decided to go to something much closer to Canon's side on the diameter. It'll be interesting to see what Canon releases. I am quite certain with this announcement that canon's new system will keep the same diameter.

The real question is if the mirrorless specific lenses will extend into the throat, or if the sensor itself will move closer. I can see advantages/disadvantages with both. If the sensor moves, it will have the full width of the throat to take advantage of for smaller lenses, but it will have more moving parts. They could also build a cheaper non moving sensor camera later that would be smaller and have an adpater ala the m50 for older lenses. This might be a way to differentiate pro versus prosumer camera bodies as well. If the new lenses simply extend into the throat the internal diameter can still be bigger than sony and only a mm or 2 less than Nikon's new standard. And there would be no moving parts to worry about with that setup.

Can't wait to see what Canon comes up with!

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
In my case, I'm almost at my wits end with the lack of innovation in Canon bodies. However, I have so much invested in glass that I'm not moving anywhere overnight. With Sony, I can move slowly - start with my Canon lenses and eventually replace with native ones.
Nikon, however, makes more sense to migrate from Canon. While Sony still doesn't have equivalents for most of my lenses, Nikon does. They also have much better ergonomics.
This is also a warning shot to Canon. I won't have the budget to move anywhere until early next year, but if they don't impress by then they're going to be in major trouble.
That's not going to happen Nikon has decided to keep the AF protocols a secret sadly.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't sway some of us that prioritize dual card slot for professional works (wedding)

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Also, sounds like Nikon is only rating the battery for 330 shots per charge (but photographers are doing better in practice)...

That could be a deal breaker for some - it would be for me..

Only 330? I can get thousands on my 1dx. Is that normal though for smaller cameras or mirrorless?

Upvote 0
Only 330? I can get thousands on my 1dx. Is that normal though for smaller cameras or mirrorless?
Mirrorless cameras have often been attributed with having poorer battery life, but not all mirrorless cameras struggle with this. The a7Rii was criticized for this (290 shots per charge), but the a7Riii is much better (650), I believe. The m50 battery is only rated for 235, so it really struggles with battery life as well.

In this case we should note that the battery is rated for 330 shots on the Z7, but in practice photographers are reporting better performance (some saying they get 600). With that in mind, however, consider that the D850 (which uses the same battery as the Z7) is rated to over 1800 photos. That indicates that the Z7 chews up batteries A LOT faster than it's most directly comparable Nikon camera.

Upvote 0
Quick Canon, you're about to go under because one customer, who's already bought a heap of lenses from you, is about to leave!

Seriously though, what are the benefits to your photography of switching? There're a couple of respondents in this thread who couldn't see the benefit, for them, of mirror less.

PS Canon would be in bigger trouble if they released an uncompetitive product (eg the EVF?) or rushed something that left it disadvantaged further down the line (eg the lens mount?).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0