Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Coming November 22, 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This one could eat three of the 35mm lenses, and - as everyone knows - image quality is a product of weight. So the 40mm lens, coming in at 2.65 pounds will have about 30 percent more IQs than the 2.1 pound 35mm.

More seriously, the 35 was essentially the first Art lens. Much has happened since, including different coatings, lens designs, and - critically - an acceptance of more weight and size in the pursuit of high image quality. I expect this to be a fantastic lens. I am considering selling my 50mm Art to help fund it, if the image quality is what I expect. I often find the 50 a bit long for my use, and the 24-35 Art I use frequently a bit too wide. Man, listen to that rationalization.

Upvote 0
The only new lens tugging at me right now is the RF 50mm f/1.2, but I'd have to buy into the new system. Not ready for that.

A couple of these things might swing me over: More small lightweight primes; an RF 16-35 f/2.8 IS (or f/4); an RF 70-200 IS; the release of the vari-ND EF adapter; the higher end RF camera if it has better 4K and IBIS

Upvote 0

Sergio Smorovoz

5D + 50 f/1.2L
Oct 17, 2018
Moscow
smorovoz.com
What is it about this lens that allows one to produce holograms? I suspect you are just excited about another large but pleasing tool from Sigma.

Technical characteristics of optical systems for a full frame have a point of the best image. This point: 42 mm f / 1.2 for a matrix of 35 mm. Sigma can make this lens in the near future! :)

Upvote 0
Technical characteristics of optical systems for a full frame have a point of the best image. This point: 42 mm f / 1.2 for a matrix of 35 mm. Sigma can make this lens in the near future! :)
Aha - fascinating! Where can I read more on this? I would like such a lens and I don't care how heavy it would be.

Upvote 0