Canon #1 in Japanese market share for both DSLR and mirrorless in 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
BCN has released their 2018 sales awards for Japan, and Canon has had a really good year on its home turf. Capturing both the #1 position in DSLR market share as well mirrorless market share for 2018.
Canon’s DSLR market share was at 57.4% in 2018, with Nikon taking the second spot at 39.3% and Ricoh rounding out the top 3 at 3.1%. Nikon did gain some market share at Canon’s expense, and this is probably because of the fantastic D850 and Canon’s lack of new prosumer DSLRs in 2018.

In mirrorless, Canon has taken the lead in market share at 31.6% on the strength of the EOS M50 and EOS R. Olympus finished second at 23.5% and Sony rounds out the top 3 at 22.7%
In lenses, Canon continues to remain on top with 20.7% of all lenses sold in Japan. Sigma continues to do well capturing the second spot at 15.7% and Nikon finishes third at 13.7%
For all the flack Canon gets, they remain a sales success in Japan at least.
Canon News has a further breakdown of the numbers, you can check it out...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
they sell used underwear in japan too.... just saying. :)

unfortunately canon has released nothing in 2018 that would make me part from my money.

i had hopes for a new M5, new EOS M lenses that make the M mount look like an option.
i had hopes for a better EOS R camera.

the next camera is rumored to be an even lower end mirrorless model.

seems like 2019 may be another year i can keep my money.
yeah, the brown ring underwears are quite comfy!

Upvote 0
Imagine what they could do if they had Sony sensors. Oh hold on, everyone should buy Canon because of the lenses and the colors, right? Thankfully we have Sony, Fuji and Nikon as competitors so we have some technical innovation, maybe this is the year Canon surprise us with some great cameras. Let's be honest, the 7dII was disappointing, the 5d iv was disappointing compared to the D850, the EOS R is generally thought to be worse than the Z6. I know the Canon cameras are good enough, but we'd alll like to see Canon take a lead for a change.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
they sell used underwear in japan too.... just saying. :)

unfortunately canon has released nothing in 2018 that would make me part from my money.

i had hopes for a new M5, new EOS M lenses that make the M mount look like an option.
i had hopes for a better EOS R camera.

the next camera is rumored to be an even lower end mirrorless model.

seems like 2019 may be another year i can keep my money.

Yeah, well, they sell it here too.

You seem to be happily pessimestic. Keep wearing that downer hat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Imagine what they could do if they had Sony sensors. Oh hold on, everyone should buy Canon because of the lenses and the colors, right? Thankfully we have Sony, Fuji and Nikon as competitors so we have some technical innovation, maybe this is the year Canon surprise us with some great cameras. Let's be honest, the 7dII was disappointing, the 5d iv was disappointing compared to the D850, the EOS R is generally thought to be worse than the Z6. I know the Canon cameras are good enough, but we'd alll like to see Canon take a lead for a change.

The Canon sensors are slightly behind, but not by much. If you shoot for 4color, instead of pixel peeping on a monitor, there’s no practical difference. The rest of what you’re saying is exaggerated.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
But but, Canon is doomed? Sony is taking over.

Absolutely. Did you know know that sale of FF MILCs is the only thing that matters when measuring the success of camera manufacturers? That is, until Canon overtake that as well. Then the only valid measure will be FF MILC shooting 4k @60fps for 25 minutes at a temperature of 54F with no overheating in 3 out of 5 cases.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

And who decides what is 'disappointing'? Sure, we all get that there are internet warriors with a point to prove and youtube reviewers who need clicks but how many areas are Sony and Nikon 'disappointing'?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
All joking aside, what Canon has done is really impressive.

#1 in ILCs. Sure, down a bit, but still dominating. Also, it wasn't too long ago that the gap between Nikon/Canon was much smaller. So, this is really Nikon re-establishing themselves and a year Canon did not release any DSLRs of significance (just entry level DSLRs, M50 and EOS-R). Seriously, wow.
#1 in Mirrorless. After all the negativity, Canon is #1 in mirrorless sales. Again, wow.
#1 in lenses. A bit expected. Sell the most ILCs, sell the most lenses.
#2 in Digital Cameras. A very close second to Nikon with Sony a distant 3rd.

That is domination. Release a few new G series cameras, and maybe they are #1 in all categories for 2019.

I personally do not benefit from Canon's domination in the short term. But, as someone invested in a system, I have every reason to think Canon will be around for many years to come.

Upvote 0

You are comparing an older 5D IV to a newer D850?

If that's the case, we should compared Sony A7 to EOS R according to your logic. I wouldn't use it even it's for free.

There is a different in sensor but not my much. Good photographer are capable of making great pictures with less with Canon 6D, etc. I enjoy usability more than sensor performance like EVF, ergonomic, eyeAF, fully touch screen LCD. I don't need to raise my pictures 5 stop either.

We have off camera lighting for high dynamic range scene or luminosity mask. High dynamic range shadow recovery is noiser than luminosity mask.

I just wish Canon have better eyeAF, dual IS, and dual card slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I, personally, would really appreciate it if CR would stop noting that Canon is not in fact already dead/dying. The "mirrorless Sony and Nikon are the future and nothing else counts as innovation" narrative has presented a tremendous opportunity for me to build my EF collection, and this "truth" and "data" are really hampering my opportunities.

I hope it isn't necessary, but I'll add a "/s" just in case.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
This must roil Rishi and DPR. I suppose they'll say "the Japanese are misinformed, don't know anything about dynamic range, and they're stuck with a bunch of Canon lenses so they can't change... why don't they just listen to us and buy Sony?!"
Why!? Their employer is Amazon, and they are happy with sales, no matter of which brand. However, Canon's success has done nothing to revert the abysmal trend of the camera market (and neither has any other company), so this still remains a pyrrhic victory for them.
Also, it bears repeating: the Japanese market is very special in its preferences. It gravitates strongly towards mirrorless cameras, and entry-level ones at that. It's 100% price-sensitive, unlike the US or Europe, where more expensive mirrorless models have fared better than dirt-cheap shovelware.

Upvote 0