Sigma updates compatibility notice for the Canon EOS R

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We would like to share the results of our further investigations regarding the operating conditions of the Canon “EOS R” and SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses for Canon mount.
When SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses in the current product lineup, listed below, are used in combination with the Canon “EOS R” and their “Mount Adapter EF-EOS R” or “Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, both AF and AE operate without any issues. Furthermore, lenses which incorporate Optical Stabilizer (OS) will work with the OS function properly in effect.

In addition, when the Digital Lens Optimizer is switched [OFF], but “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction” and “Distortion correction”, located within the in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function is switched [ON], the appropriate corrections can be achieved in accordance with the optical characteristics of each lens. This is applicable to DG and DC lenses from Contemporary, Art and Sports line listed below which were...

Continue reading...

Mar 25, 2011
So, Sigma strikes again!! Older lenses will not autofocus among other things. How many times has this happened?

Every Canon EF lens works on the "R", but you need a Sigma Art or Sport lens to autofocus. Eventually, the Art and Sport lenses will fall into the same category if the past history is any indicator. Sigma stops updates once a lens is out of production.

"For interchangeable lenses which are not from Contemporary, Art or Sports line, please focus using MF, since it may be difficult to achieve sufficient focusing speed and accuracy. "

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Seems like the apo macro 180mm is ok, but a little confusing. Not Art, Sports, or Contemporary, but on the good list?
Generally speaking Macro lenses from 3rd party makers do seem to work well on future bodies, I have used old 50mm Macro Sigma(one that had focus window and not the recently discontinued one) on 80D and it works fine but some of their old zooms tend to be hit or miss from same time frame.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The 180mm seems to be a victim of poor timing, it launched about 3 months before Sigma announced the global vision line.
Yes, but it works GREAT on the 5DIII and 5DIV. From the Sigma announcement, a little bit of mixed messaging, or I'm just not reading properly.

Also, based on the performance, IQ, and design of the lens, I suspect some of the Sports tech went into the APO 180mm f/2.8. Just a hunch, but it's such a rarely discussed lens, I doubt I'll ever know for sure...Unless there has been a teardown?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So, Sigma strikes again!! Older lenses will not autofocus among other things. How many times has this happened?

Every Canon EF lens works on the "R", but you need a Sigma Art or Sport lens to autofocus. Eventually, the Art and Sport lenses will fall into the same category if the past history is any indicator. Sigma stops updates once a lens is out of production.

"For interchangeable lenses which are not from Contemporary, Art or Sports line, please focus using MF, since it may be difficult to achieve sufficient focusing speed and accuracy. "
Yet at the front they say "both AF and AE operate without any issues" - apparently 'speed and accuracy' are not issues! Truly bizarre.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I've been using the Sigma 35mm Art since I purchased the R back in late November. The lens did require a firmware update to eliminate the round circle issue, but after the update, it's been a great lens.

Took the R to Disneyland over Christmas with the 24-105r lens and the 35mm F1.4 Art. Was quite pleased with the results of both daytime and nighttime shooting.

Thought strongly about buying the Z 7 at the time, but ultimately, with the wife's encouragement, stuck with Canon and got the R.
I've been quite pleased with it and haven't run into any issues. I'm not a videographer and if I were, I would purchase a dedicated video camera for that, so the fact that the R crops 4k, meh, don't care, since I bought this to shoot pictures, not video ;)

With that said, I'm very interested in what new features/functionality the major FW update will bring to this camera.
:)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
So, Sigma strikes again!!

Yeah, those brutes! How dare they try to make good lenses despite Canon's refusal to license the mount protocols. Sigma should just shut-down and let Canon dictate what lenses you need.

1993 Canon 50mm f/1.4 should be enough for anyone. Hand over your $400! Sigma 105mm f/1.4? Pffff! I have my $500 1991-era 100mm f/2. Think you need IS on that 400mm f/5.6? Nonense, just give us the $1200 and shutup.

That's the World you'd live in without third-party lenses. So, Canon strikes again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0