A leaked document suggests that Canon has a 63mp full frame image sensor in the works.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update After speaking with a couple of people, it turns out that this image sensor has no chance of ever making it to a consumer product. One person said its likely application is security if it ever actually makes it into production.
Without giving specifics, the source said that the format of the document removes the chance of this being for consumer photography applications.

A leaked document shows that Canon has a full frame 63mp image sensor in the pipeline. There is no way to verify this information or this document’s authenticity, but from reading the document below, things do look legit.

Canon_1.jpg.cf3e3ddf1d7792011fc7d7c90b2ef55b-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
this is good news as this would would lead to the conclusion that the new apsc-sensor is 24mp and not 32,5 (as that would lead to a 84mp full frame sensor)
Huh? If you find a pebble on the ground, does that lead to the conclusion that IBM stock will rise? Feel free to support your claim with examples from Canon’s history where the pixel pitch of different sensor formats has been aligned.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
this is good news as this would would lead to the conclusion that the new apsc-sensor is 24mp and not 32,5 (as that would lead to a 84mp full frame sensor)

It's very interesting news (in case this sensor is going to be used in the next Canon camera) but not good news. The performance will be below 6DII. Also I'm not sure how it's related to the prospective APS-C sensor, or why it should be related.

Upvote 0
Huh? If you find a pebble on the ground, does that lead to the conclusion that IBM stock will rise?

i get that it is a far strech and we cant conclude anything reliably, but we have more clues about a new 24mp aps-c sensor now than we have about a 32,5mp aps-c sensor, if we can take anything from the one case that we have : 5ds sensor supposidly beeing an upscaled 7d ii sensor

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
i get that it is a far strech and we cant conclude anything reliably, but we have more clues about a new 24mp aps-c sensor now than we have about a 32,5mp aps-c sensor
Sorry, if you are suggesting this leaked document offers any clues about a forthcoming APS-C sensor, that’s like jumping over the Grand Canyon on your leap to a conclusion.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry, if you are suggesting this leaked document offers any clues about a forthcoming APS-C sensor, that’s like jumping over the Grand Canyon on your leap to a conclusion.
it sure is, i just wanna spur on some discussion. i mean this is a rumor forum after all.

in the end it couldnt mean anything and you are absolutly right that its very far fetched.

Upvote 0
i get that it is a far strech and we cant conclude anything reliably, but we have more clues about a new 24mp aps-c sensor now than we have about a 32,5mp aps-c sensor

this wouldn't show a "new" 24MP sensor. it has a higher read noise and lower DR than the current generation 24MP sensor. we won't even get into it's sensor readout speed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Alternatively it is a sensor design deduced from current 24 MPix sensors which might come into an EOS RPS body or it's simply a design for some type of observational imaging systems. If I am right the 18 MPix sensors came some years before the EOS 5Ds cameras and it needed to ripe for FF use with similar pixel densities ...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It's very interesting news (in case this sensor is going to be used in the next Canon camera) but not good news. The performance will be below 6DII.
How do you figure that?
Yes, the pixels are smaller, but you can resample the image down to the size of the 6D2 images and gain about 1.5 stops of DR doing so.... and they should be sharper... and with a higher density sensor you don’t need as strong of an AA filter, so a bit more improvement, plus, it will be a newer design!

Upvote 0
How do you figure that?
Yes, the pixels are smaller, but you can resample the image down to the size of the 6D2 images and gain about 1.5 stops of DR doing so.... and they should be sharper... and with a higher density sensor you don’t need as strong of an AA filter, so a bit more improvement, plus, it will be a newer design!
it's NOT a newer design. If you look at the pinouts from a 6D Mark II sensor, it uses an on board ADC and is probably the same tech level as this sensor.

it has the exact same DR response as the 6D Mark II sensor. it doesn't follow the response curve of say, a 5D Mark IV,etc. this is not a new design. it's the prior generation similar to what the 6D Mark II was.
Is it possible that Canon is angling towards a more medium format model camera?

You don't need speed performance there....perhaps this is for a model somewhat in line for the market that the FUJIFILM GFX 50S is shooting for these days?

cayenne
No, it's a 35mm sensor, and i'd say 3 fps is the slowest you could have a camera shoot at reasonably and this wouldn't even hit that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0