Patent: Canon working on lens cap technology!

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A patent showing a new type of lens cap/lens hood that stays affixed to the lens has appeared from Canon as been uncovered by Canon News.
This lens cap design stays attached to the lens and also doubles as a lens hood for convenience.
This design may have some usability concerns with dedicated lens hoods and filters, but could still be the right solution for some people.
From Japan Patent Application 2019-113645:
The present invention works as a lens hood function at the time of shooting and as a lens protection function at the time of non-shooting, thus eliminating the need for lens cap attachment / removal and barrier opening / closing operations. . 

Continue reading...

Jan 5, 2016
I dislike the idea.

One has to move four parts to open the lens, rather than one.

If one of the hinges breaks, the customer has to leave the lens in a lab to be fixed, rather than buy a cheap plastic cap.

It isn't a real lens hood replacement, because it doesn't cover the corners. Also, the hood length isn't necessarily equal to half the front element's radius.

Upvote 0
I dislike the idea.

One has to move four parts to open the lens, rather than one.

If one of the hinges breaks, the customer has to leave the lens in a lab to be fixed, rather than buy a cheap plastic cap.

It isn't a real lens hood replacement, because it doesn't cover the corners. Also, the hood length isn't necessarily equal to half the front element's radius.

it's just a lens cap, it can be taken off the camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Because In Body Stabilization and Lens Caps are comparable technologies.

You could build a lens cap with OIS - put a front element into the lens cap that worked with all lenses of that filter size. Then you can release lenses without the front elements and only have to pay for OIS once, rather than for every lens.

I'm sure that shouldn't be difficult, haha...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Very good idea and I am mentally working on a solution of a lens hood which can be retracted (like that of EF 5.6 400) and closes the lens font element with some petals. But a good 3D printable design is not easy (especially for 3D printers which are available for mortals).

While I always use neutral filters (B&W 010 MRC consistently) I would like to have some further protection: I "lost" a 77 mm filter because some plastic element inside a jacked damaged the coating while I wore the camera under the jacked. And if it doubles as a simple (= not 100% perfect petal shaped) lens hood it would be welcome. I do not use lens hoods anymore - sometimes I use my hand but sometimes a would appreciate a third hand or that the hand is not in the image.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Very good idea and I am mentally working on a solution of a lens hood which can be retracted (like that of EF 5.6 400) and closes the lens font element with some petals. But a good 3D printable design is not easy (especially for 3D printers which are available for mortals).

I've had very good luck with the on-line companies that will 3D print any file you send them. Most of the big ones have machines that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet they charge only about $25-50 an hour machine time. Best of both worlds.

Stratasysdirect has done high quality work for me (at work). (I'm just a customer, no connection otherwise)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've had very good luck with the on-line companies that will 3D print any file you send them. Most of the big ones have machines that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet they charge only about $25-50 an hour machine time. Best of both worlds.

Stratasysdirect has done high quality work for me (at work). (I'm just a customer, no connection otherwise)

Thanks for the tip / the URL! I am a very satisfied owner of a ZORTRAX M200 which can do very fine ABS prints but 1mm thickness is the minimum for stable constructions so it is maybe a good strategy to opimize my design and send it to the service provider you mentioned for doing a metal print.
With my printer I made my own glasses because I needed glasses where I can rotate the lenses: I have stronger cylindrical lenses with roughly 2.5 dpt. and I need to adapt the axis angle twice the day. While I can look very good with these glasses maybe i do not good look designwise, they are a little bit clumsy :) But the world is a world of compromises. And maybe I will let someone print a new version in titanium - titanium printers are not the cheapest investment for home use !

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Stuff like this does show that Canon is still fundamentally brainstorming new tweaks and features to make a better picture more convenient or at least make a dedicated camera more convenient to the masses.

I smell a dash of sarcasm with that.. Can I have some more of that stuff, please... I am missing the point here. Please enlighten me :)

Upvote 0
I smell a dash of sarcasm with that.. Can I have some more of that stuff, please... I am missing the point here. Please enlighten me :)
I'm really and truly not being sarcastic, stuff like the power zoom base, lightweight 10-18 STM, miniaturized full frame RP, miniaturized high feature M50 which is wildly popular, etc. show that Canon is thinking about this differently. We here do hope that they give technical performance a swift bump but at the end of the day what does that 10% advantage really do versus a camera that is easier to travel with and use? I already saw this article reposted on a local photog "club" and people were happy for a solution to their missing lens caps.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm really and truly not being sarcastic, stuff like the power zoom base, lightweight 10-18 STM, miniaturized full frame RP, miniaturized high feature M50 which is wildly popular, etc. show that Canon is thinking about this differently. We here do hope that they give technical performance a swift bump but at the end of the day what does that 10% advantage really do versus a camera that is easier to travel with and use? I already saw this article reposted on a local photog "club" and people were happy for a solution to their missing lens caps.
right... ok. so if one of the "blades" is half open cause you incidentally bumped into an obstacle or pushed while hanging of your shoulder... you cannot notice this in your veiwfinder. right? A rhetorical question. outcomes: corner vignetting, diminished exposure. Happened to me a lot with some lenshoods not being attached properly in the past.

Upvote 0
so if one of the "blades" is half open cause you incidentally bumped into an obstacle or pushed while hanging of your shoulder... you cannot notice this in your veiwfinder. right? A rhetorical question. outcomes: corner vignetting, diminished exposure. Happened to me a lot with some lenshoods not being attached properly in the past.

Thats a perfectly valid point to the robustness and reliability of this particular device. All of those little pieces, yikes. I for one just cram my 70+mm lenscaps in my back pocket or they just get pulled off in my thinktank bag when I'm getting the camera out. Lens hoods stay at home, too clunky.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Lens hoods stay at home, too clunky.
I absolutely shoot with a lens hood on. Always. I shoot crowded venues and people keep walking and bumping into your camera hanging of your heaps randomly.I shoot with a pair bodies on dual strap. lens hood is a essential front element protection for me. better safe than sorry :)

Upvote 0