Canon is gearing up for a big 2020 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re not going to see any more major product announcements from Canon in 2019, outside of the official announcement of the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, which we expect in the next month or two, with the availability of the new lens coming in December.
We have been told that Canon has a major announcement planned on or around February 11, 2020, which would come ahead of CP+, which begins at the end of February.
A second source said “your readers should start getting excited for Photokina”, which is happening in May. Unfortunately, that was all we were told and we’ll have to wait a bit longer to find out what is possibly coming.
We expect both the high-megapixel EOS R body and EOS-1D X Mark III to be announced in the first half of 2020, along with a lot of new RF mount lenses.

Continue reading...

Why do they announce flagships so close to the Olympics? What if something goes wrong and they won't have a moment to fix that? Also would't it be better for business to promote next Olympics flagship way ahead of the even to squeeze more cash on that fact?
I really don't get this.
I suspect the news agencies and other higher profile canon professional services users will be getting widespread access to these bodies and lenses shortly after announcement. A number of these people have those in hand now, I'm sure. If it's announced in Feb with release a few weeks later, users will have months of time to hammer out any issues before the Olympics which do not start until the end of July.

Although I'm hoping that they are wrong on the dates. I'd love to see something slipping past all of the rumors sites and being announced at the end of October in New York, like an r mount APS-c camera. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Canon may very well have a big 2020, but unfortunately for me, part of their big 2020 will not include bring out a Pro-mirrorless body. This is what I am waiting for. For me mirrorless brings so many good things to my way of shooting that I will likely not be purchasing another DSLR. So, wait I will for the pro-mirrorless. Who knows, maybe Canon will surprise me and get a high fps, Continuous AF, with 30 or 30+MP mirrorless out in 2020.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I suspect the news agencies and other higher profile canon professional services users will be getting widespread access to these bodies and lenses shortly after announcement. A number of these people have those in hand now, I'm sure. If it's announced in Feb with release a few weeks later, users will have months of time to hammer out any issues before the Olympics which do not start until the end of July.

I would be surprised if the really large news organizations which purchase thousands of 1D cameras don't already have access to prototypes for testing in the field. After all, Canon wants to avoid another 1D Mark III AF fiasco.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This endless waiting for the Canon Pro R camera is like waiting for hours and hours at the doctor's office and once you get to talk to Doctor Canon, he puts his arm on your shoulder: "I'm sorry, you only have 4 hours left to live. You shouldn't have wasted the last hours waiting for me, you fool. Go out and buy a Nikon or Sony while you can!" Damn you, doctor!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
This endless waiting for the Canon Pro R camera is like waiting for hours and hours at the doctor's office and once you get to talk to Doctor Canon, he puts his arm on your shoulder: "I'm sorry, you only have 4 hours left to live. You shouldn't have wasted the last hours waiting for me, you fool. Go out and buy a Nikon or Sony while you can!" Damn you, doctor!
I already have a Sony a9 and am using with adapted Canon glass ans Sony glass. The a9 is what has transformed my thinking about what a mirrorless camera can be for professional action photographers. There is a lot to like about the Sony a9, but a lot not to like as well. Thus, I am hopeful Canon can take the pro-mirrorless camera to the next level by doing what Sony has done, but also bringing along with it awesome usability that Sony just does not have.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

No, definitely not Nikon for me. I considered Sony A7RIV but it doesn't overwhelm me enough to switch. But if the wait is to long or Carbon doesn't deliver, I'll switch eventually anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

Nikon zooms in the Devil's direction. I will never use them.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
My baseless prediction is that they'll also offer up a 7D III, based on the 90D sensor, with dual processors, supreme autofocus, and the rest of the 7D stuff that sets it apart. A rugged cropper.

More speculative - Maybe a hybred optical/LCD viewfinder that allows switching to "mirrorless" mode with the resultant DPAF and increased frame rate. Would be very cool for sports/action on a budget.

I wonder if they'll throw out any more EF-M lenses, or if that format is going to slide into oblivion. I would love to see an ultra-wide, and a short tele prime, along with some sort of f/4 normal zoom, like 15-60 or something like that. Just dreaming here - I know that there's only so much $$ in the development budget.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA

Welp, I never thought I'd say this.. but I just ordered the EOS R. and I'm excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Why do they announce flagships so close to the Olympics? What if something goes wrong and they won't have a moment to fix that? Also would't it be better for business to promote next Olympics flagship way ahead of the even to squeeze more cash on that fact?
I really don't get this.
Because Canon so far does not rush out messed up half baked pro products.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Also would't it be better for business to promote next Olympics flagship way ahead of the even to squeeze more cash on that fact?
I really don't get this.

most of the people that need the 1DX Mark III already know it's coming either by testing the body or by simple logic. I mean it's the worst kept secret that Canon will announce a new 1 series camera before the olympic games.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0