Canon again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I think it’s safe to say we can put to rest the idea that IBIS will be coming in a Canon DSLR. It does not look like the EOS-1D X Mark III will be equipped with it and that IBIS will be reserved for the EOS R system, at least for now. Nikon will apparently be putting IBIS in the upcoming D6 and anonymous sources may have just figured Canon was going to do it too, especially after an IBIS patent showing a DSLR drawing appeared back in July.
Canon executives are now telling folks in the media that they are “considering” a high-end EOS R body with dual card slots and IBIS.
A representative with Canon told Digital Camera World with careful wording that a Canon is “considering” making an high-end EOS R camera.
There’s a high-end EOS R in consideration,” said Canon UK’s product...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Good news all the way around! I just wish for more $$$$. The OCD guy in me likes the idea of a UWA that doesn't overlap the 28-70. So my zoom Trinity would be: RF 14-28m f/2L, RF 28-70mm f/2L, RF 70-135mm f/2L. Purrrrrfect. Makes me want to get a cat Mr. Don Haines. ;)

After that, time to conquer all the f/1.2L primes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What is this Pro EOS R body? A 1DX3 or 5D4 Equivalent? ..or even a 5DS R equivalent??
That's what people say. I happen to think it to be any body/lens used by a person to make his/her primary living. Body or lens can only be as good as the user... whether enthusiast or professional, and many enthusiasts are better than professionals. There are also far more enthusiasts than professionals.

Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to a Pro Level Canon Mirrorless with IBIS to compete with the Sony A7R4. However, I think I may stick to my EF glass and use the adapter as I think the RF glass although awesome from what I hear is very expensive. Hopefully RF glass will eventually come down in price down the road or get refurbs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
“If we do, it will have dual card slots, it will be that sort of level, and under development is in-body image stabilization. So we are looking at this technology, it is in development with us.”

It might be me not understanding English well enough, but I read that as 2 separate things: The high-end RF will have 2 card slots. And they are developing IBIS. The high-end RF will probably have that, but I don't read that. IBIS could come sooner or later than the high-end RF

Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to a Pro Level Canon Mirrorless with IBIS to compete with the Sony A7R4. However, I think I may stick to my EF glass and use the adapter as I think the RF glass although awesome from what I hear is very expensive. Hopefully RF glass will eventually come down in price down the road or get refurbs.

TBH using adapted EF glass is the way right now. The RF50, 85 and 28-70 are the only RF lenses really worth using. The other offerings are only equal to the existing EF glass. Not better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
"Considering" at this point their words should have been definitely bringing high end R to market.
Maybe they don't want to risk reducing R body sales by implying that potential buyers might want to wait a little while for something better. As others have pointed out, "considering" could imply a wait of several years.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019

TBH using adapted EF glass is the way right now. The RF50, 85 and 28-70 are the only RF lenses really worth using. The other offerings are only equal to the existing EF glass. Not better.

I'm glad you both said that because I've been thinking about how this would all play out with my EF glass. I'll probably move to full-frame mirrorless when this R body comes out, but I have a decent collection of EF glass (L 2.8 trinity, a few fast primes, tilt-shift, macro, etc). I have no idea what the resale market is for EF lenses, as I've kept all the lenses I've purchased. If anybody has experience selling their EF glass, please feel free to chime in. I don't mind using an adapter, but I'd also like to take advantage of the size benefits of native RF glass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad you both said that because I've been thinking about how this would all play out with my EF glass. I'll probably move to full-frame mirrorless when this R body comes out, but I have a decent collection of EF glass (L 2.8 trinity, a few fast primes, tilt-shift, macro, etc). I have no idea what the resale market is for EF lenses, as I've kept all the lenses I've purchased. If anybody has experience selling their EF glass, please feel free to chime in. I don't mind using an adapter, but I'd also like to take advantage of the size benefits of native RF glass.
I hate to be the one to say this but other than the 70-200 everything is bigger and heavier even factoring in the adapter!

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
I hate to be the one to say this but other than the 70-200 everything is bigger and heavier even factoring in the adapter!

Interesting! You're right, that seems to be the case. I never looked up the specs, just figured they'd be smaller and / or lighter. That actually makes me feel a bit better. If I want, I can move to a FF mirrorless body and not feel like my current EF lens collection is so much bigger than native RF, hanging off the front of an R body. I can move to RF native for image quality purposes or to get image stabilization if I feel that's necessary going forward. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
And I am considering buying it if it has IBIS. If not, I'll consider keeping my money until that feature appears.

Agreed, and yeah, I just don't see how much longer they can hold out when 1) everyone else is offering it, and 2) their best and fastest lenses aren't stabilized.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
EF lenses will work great; possibly even better results than on a dslr.
The high end RF glass is not cheap, but it is in line with what Sony/Nikon is asking for their 2.8 zooms. More 1.8 prime options would be very welcome.
I tried the RF 15-35 and 24-70 and shot a bunch of raw files. In the center the sharpness is essentially the same but it does have better corner performance. Plus, the focus is even faster due to nano usm and probably more accurate than adapted glass. Plus IS is a very good addition too.
In my case I’d like to get that 24-70 and 70-200; I do use them to make a living so a purchase is easier justified

Upvote 0