Patent: Canon is working on shrinking the size of mirrorless cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
According to a recently unearthed patent, Canon is actively working on shrinking the size of a full-frame mirrorless camera. We know that Canon is going to be bringing lots of new bodies above the current EOS R offerings, but it looks like there may be something to the thoughts that Canon may be working to add a camera below the EOS RP.
From Japan Patent Application 2019-184921:
An object of the present invention is to provide a technique for suppressing an increase in the size of an image pickup apparatus due to the arrangement of a motor for driving a shutter.
Canon News further breaks down the patent here.

Continue reading...

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
If you could have a small holiday / street fullframe camerabody with interchangeable RF lenses it would be great. Minimum size with a 35mm or 50mm and still capable of mounting bigger lenses.

Sometime in the future I could surely see with af EOS-R "5D-series" and then a smaller than RP for travel / street
I sometimes miss the size of my Olympus Trip35.....

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I like the size of the EOS RP (tested in shop) and my 200D/SL2.
I also like the ergonomics of my 5D3 which seem difficult to do on a much smaller body.
I don't like the weight of my 5D3. But as said, there could be more weight on the lenses.

As long as ergonomics are well, I'd always prefer a smaller body.
That said, I do not own any of the big whites.
But with lenses like an RF70-200 or the EF100-400 II I don't see the need for a body as big as a 5D or 1D.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Ergonomics is the main factor. You can shrink to a point where the camera just does not feel right to most users. Large hands might see the current R cameras as too small and visa versa.
Find a good body size and concentrate on making the cameras best in class for function. Canon has the glass now worry about operation and features/function.
If you want small go M.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Smaller and lighter is the future. Market was reluctant to embrace laptop vs desktop or current smartphone offering compared to their predecessors. Cameras will follow.
The biggest challenge would be to improve ergonomics and handling as well as lens design.
Smartphones are getting larger, but thinner. The new larger models are too large for me to pocket.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
I think this body is meant for entry-level or younger consumers, to "raise the appear of Canon's product". It is not so much a new camera as a face-lift, to win back some market share during market contraction and intense competition.

Q3 report just came out. After going through some shocking reduction in '19 sales, it seems Canon desperately needs something to win back the loss from entry-level DSLR market, which is shrinking at a rapid pace.

The larger sized body may not be deemed popular in the eyes of the new generation of buyers anymore, despite its ergonomics advantages. Whereas the reported success in M6 mark II and G series camera seems to have encouraged Canon to move towards compact camera bodies to win back customers. Customer who won't prioritize grip size like seasoned photographers would do, as their buying decisions do not consider the necessity of ergonomics.

Canon Q3 report: https://www.canonnews.com/canon-3q-2019-financial-results-poor-results-but-encouraging-details

Upvote 0
There is always 15 ... 20 mm to shave off in width by putting the lens mount to the leftmost position but leaving enough room between lens and large enough grip.
Reducing the width of a camera helps at least to fit them snugly in lens compartments of a smaller backpack - important for me because I like a two body setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
if you want something smaller, go with the new sigma fp.
Make lenses that are as lightweight in comparison to the camera itself. and yes that includes FF.
I can't tell you the last time other than a phone that I have put an actual camera in my pocket. A small purse yes, but never a pock and now that I think about it, probably not even once. lol

Upvote 0