Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As previously reported, Canon has released a firmware update for the Canon EOS R. It turns out it was released at the end of November but hasn’t yet been posted by Canon USA for whatever reason.
Firmware Version 1.6.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

Support for the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS lens has been added.
Corrects a phenomenon in which the function or setting value assigned to the control ring may change when the control ring is operated in Eco mode.
Corrects a phenomenon in which the camera may stop operating properly during “auto-transfer” when using Camera Connect with a Wi-Fi connection.
Corrects a phenomenon in which high-speed synchronization with use of an external flash may not operate properly depending on the camera’s setting for C.Fn2 “Set shutter speed range”...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Begs the question: what happened to 1.5.0? As it seems we jumped from 1.4.0 to 1.6.0... :cool:
As software developer I can guess that they spun up 1.5.0 and the testing was almost completed when they decided to include a late fix that was targeted for 1.6.0.

Canon does not seem to like to use the 3rd digit, I personally do not like version control with only 3 digits but this is not the place for that discussion:)

Upvote 0

djoos

EOS R
Dec 5, 2019
London
Semver (semantic versioning)-wise the third digit is for patches (MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH). Canon doesn’t tend (I haven’t had any patch build from Canon for the Eos R yet at least) to ship those, but seem to include them in the next minor.

Just odd that 1.5 didn’t get shipped - especially given the fact there not really a lot in 1.6.0... :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I have 1.5.0. It added 3 fps in AI Servo, half a stop of DR, and 6k video. Looks like they didn’t carry those forward into 1.6.0, so I guess I’ll skip the update.
Nuh, they took the 1.5 of the website the moment they realised that additional 3 FPS turned R into a serious action camera eating into the 1 Series market share according to Bloggers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
With RF lenses you can switch on High Speed Viewfinder option on page 6 of the photography menu. It decreases the delay between each frame and makes it easier for follow a moving subject.
Makes a real difference for sure. Just note this; you have to turn off Anti-Flickering to have it enable, there is no real message from the camera to tell you HighSpeed display is inactive.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
With RF lenses you can switch on High Speed Viewfinder option on page 6 of the photography menu. It decreases the delay between each frame and makes it easier for follow a moving subject.
I wonder why this restriction exists. I can't see how having an RF lens should improve viewfinder refresh rates. I have a bunch of otherwise fully functional EF lenses.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The communication with the RF mount is MUCH faster, the EF mount isn’t fast enough to transfer the data.

Hmmmmm, what electronic communications are required between the lens mount and sensor in order to read sensor at a higher refresh rate?
A Genuine question though.

Unless it is a requirement for the lens to refocus for every sensor readout operation. This is An insane requirement if true.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hmmmmm, what electronic communications are required between the lens mount and sensor in order to read sensor at a higher refresh rate?

Unless it is a requirement for the lens to refocus for every sensor readout operation. This is An insane requirement if true.

So let's take it to the extreme on one end: why can't the high-speed display option be turned on if there's a fully manual lens attached. Be it chipped like an MP-E or TS-E or non-chipped.
Does hi-speed mode turn itself off if I flip an RF lens switch to MF?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The image data, obviously. The higher bandwidth RF mount transmits photons faster, and RF lenses have a shorter flange focal distance so the light gets to the sensor faster, enabling a faster refresh rate. It’s just physics.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.