Canon releases financials and lays out advanced EOS R plans

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released its financials for 2019 and opens up about the future of their mirrorless plans in their corporate summary.
Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market.
Canon further explains they will continue to develop and release new RF lenses fairly quickly.

At the same time, we will expand our lineup of dedicated...

Continue reading...

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I made a business decision based on the hope of a high megapixel R on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to fear that Canon is turning their still cameras into video production cameras. While I do shoot video I'm not interested in 8k, what I want is a good high resolution still camera. My hopes are this is a bad rumor.
What's a production camera to you. you are talking crazy right now. How does having 8k or even 6k hurt you? Does the camera still take photos or not? If you dont want to use the video features dont. I have a car that has 4 seats and I only use 1 of them most of the time. You dont see me complaining.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
What happened to the high mexga pixel EOS R? After all that rumor circulations, it's now just, gone?
I don't see why it wouldn't still be on the way. The thing that didn't make sense to me was that they would put out a high-megapixel model before an all-around 5D-like successor. They need a camera that can appeal to a broad swath of shooters, and the R simply wasn't that. Good camera, but didn't bowl a lot of people over or win any hearts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
This is great news! Confirmation that the R5 & R6 specs are true. I am definitely very interested in the R5! And also very promising wording about future RF lenses!
So am I!!! A few months ago, I was planning to get the EOS R, but when I saw there were rumours about new mirrorless camera bodies coming out in 2020 I decided to hold on that expense and keep saving! :)

If the mentioned specs about the R5 are true (especially those below), I will most likely get one!
  • 45 mp full-frame CMOS sensor
  • IBIS
    • 5 stops with IBIS alone
    • 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization
  • 12 fps mechanical, 20 fps electronic
That's more than good enough for what I do and with that kind of specs, it will likely be my camera for many years to come! :) The video specs are appealing although I rarely have the need to shoot in 4K at the moment.

I'm just hoping that it will also be very good in low light situations (doesn't have to be the greatest) ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I made a business decision based on the hope of a high megapixel R on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to fear that Canon is turning their still cameras into video production cameras. While I do shoot video I'm not interested in 8k, what I want is a good high resolution still camera. My hopes are this is a bad rumor.

what's a production cameras to you. you are talking crazy right now. How does having 8k or even 6 k hurts you? does the camera still take photos or not? If you dont want to use the video features dont. I have a car that has 4 seats and I only use 1 of them most of the time. You dont see me complaining.
I think the OP's point is valid.

Invest in the R system on the premise more resolution is coming to then find out its a video camera that also takes stills.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

They have to develop the sensor once. If they make a high resolution sensor with let's say 20fps for stills,
having 8K 30fps is not a big step from that point.

Yes, they might need to add a faster CPU and bit better heat management but having 8K is
eventually inevitable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I have a feeling the new R5 will be higher-priced then previous releases. I'm thinking this camera with anything near these specs will be $3999-$4500. Most of us will buy it at either of those prices. Of course I'd love for it to be cheaper but I have my doubts.
Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too. While I hope the R5 is sub-$4K, some of that was predicated on the idea that they wouldn't just go from R to R5 at nearly double the price without something in between. Now that there is talks of an R6, this gives them license to make the R5 in that $4-5K range. :cautious: Still hoping to be pleasantly surprised though. Something like $1500 for the R, $2600 for the R6 and $3500 for the R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
"expand sales of higher-end models" So plans for more mirrorless FF units sold. Perhaps not expecting to expand other areas, such as APS-c

This seems like a very bold news release from Canon and has much more energy than their usual reticence in providing public product announcements ahead of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
They have to develop the sensor once. If they make a high resolution sensor with let's say 20fps for stills,
having 8K 30fps is not a big step from that point.

Yes, they might need to add a faster CPU and bit better heat management but having 8K is
eventually inevitable.
That's why the EOS R had full frame 6K instead of the cropped 4K the 5DIV already offered I guess? I mean after all it's a newer processor in the R, right? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0