Canon officially announces the Canon EOS Rebel T8i/850D

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
New Camera Delivers Vertical Video and Advanced Control for Maximum Creative Output
MELVILLE, N.Y., February 12, 2020 –– Whatever your family dynamic, there are certain moments with the ones you love that deserve to be remembered. In the spirit of capturing powerful moments that last a lifetime, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, unveiled today the Canon EOS Rebel T8i. The newest and highest-performing Rebel camera within the Canon lineup features the DIGIC 8 Image Processor, eye-detection in live view, 4K video, clean 4K HDMI outputˆ, and is the first EOS DSLR with vertical video1 all within a compact and lightweight body to bring photography and videos to life.

“Our commitment to high-quality and high-performing DSLR cameras is unwavering,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Visual storytelling is not one size fits all, and in order to encourage our current and future customers to explore their content...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Are 4k video clips on the sensor cropped?

PS: Seems that 90D can shoot 4k video with no crop, so I suppose the 850D should be the same.

Cropped, and contrast-based AF only in 4K.

The official video on CanonUSA YouTube channel said: "UHD 4K video is available at 24p. Uncropped Full HD video can be recorded at up to 60p"

To me, this looks like a DSLR version of the M50 with minor enhancements. T8i, M50, and the 90D all use DIGIC 8 processor so I am guessing it has to do with how they do readouts from their newer sensors.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Someone (from behind the counter at a brick and mortar photography shop) tells me there's virtually no difference between this and the T7i. Is that true?

Well, it's not a massive upgrade (edit: actually it's not too shabby at all!), but it does have at least the following:
  • The rear wheel and AF-ON button from the 77D
  • The 90D's 220000-pixel metering sensor vs 7650-pixel sensor in the 800D
  • 7fps vs 6fps continuous shooting with OVF
  • 7.5fps vs 4.5fps cont. shooting in Live View!
  • Max burst 40 RAW frames or 75 C-RAW (!) vs 27 RAW
  • iTR tracking AF with togglable face priority
  • Eye Detect AF in Live View
  • Focus peaking in Live View
  • Live View metering down to -2EV vs 0EV
  • C-RAW
  • 4K30 and 4K timelapse (center crop, contrast AF only)
  • CIPA battery life (50% flash use) 800 vs 600 shots, 310 vs 270 shots in Live View
  • Displaying RAW files in HDR over HDMI
  • 29 vs 15 interface languages (!)
  • and of course the most important of them all, vertical video.
That max burst figure is pretty great, it's better than the 80D which has same resolution and fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0