The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the big questions about the upcoming Canon EOS R5, is what two card slots the camera will have. We have been told by a very good source that the Canon EOS R5 will have the following slots.

CFExpress
SD UHS-II

I think this is what most people thought was going to happen, and a lot of people will likely appreciate the SD slot.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 2 users

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
certainly makes the camera more affordable. Everyone's got sd cards lying about.

Do you think there's a chance we'll see an extension grip for the R5 as the RP has the EG-E1? Thanks.

I think there is a great chance that Canon will produce a grip for the R5. They make grips for most of their larger body lineup.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

People are going to buy a hideously expensive Canon R5 camera and suddenly can't afford the CF express cards for it? The high speed SD UHS-II cards are not dramatically less expensive.

Aye, I can imagine the camera runs heavily crippled on a 300 MB/s card vs the 1200MB/s write of the slowest CFExpress card. It’ll likely reduce a lot of the video modes and greatly reduce the frame rate.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Aye, I can imagine the camera runs heavily crippled on a 300 MB/s card vs the 1200MB/s write of the slowest CFExpress card. It’ll likely reduce a lot of the video modes and greatly reduce the frame rate.
The Canon cameras don't dual record video (only proxy recording), so two CFExpress cards (which also need more space on the body itself) are completely unnecessary in this case.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
We kinda expect this one...UHS-II are very fast cards that can be up to the task for most of the photography purposes leaving the cfexpress more to video matters. However....I don´t know what to think...In one way is good, it means we can use our sd cards...On the other hand...I think cfexpress is the future coming, so we will purchase a 2020 camera that still have the "old" technology...well, we know SD cards will be around for a while but I dont see myself buying more SD cards, we need to start investing in the new cfexpress specially for video...that´s why i am a bit afraid that i will be always swapping cfexpress cards and have a useless sd slot free...because i am quite sure that the 4k and 8k video recording will be almost exclusive to cfexpress recording. And I mean almost leaving out the 4k@25fps that i believe it can be recorded to the SD cards.

Also, in stills buffer will be more limited with the UHS-II cards. If that is going to be an issue...don´t know...But it won´t be fast recording 45mp files without filling the buffer...If Canon can give us 100 raw files buffer without filling that buffer, then i guess its ok having an sd slot...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0