Production of the Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R has ended

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told a couple of times now and reminded today that production of the Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R has ended. There will obviously be stock available for quite some time, but the series has definitely reached its end. There will be no DSLR replacement for either camera.
Let the rumors of a high-megapixel Canon EOS R commence.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Even though they hit a market need, these were niche cameras and I doubt the volume was very high compared some of the other Canon lines. Even though the R5 may not match the 5ds/r in pixels, the quality of the images from the sensor will be much better and the small difference in pixels will not matter. That is assuming the R5 is 45mp.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Even though they hit a market need, these were niche cameras and I doubt the volume was very high compared some of the other Canon lines. Even though the R5 may not match the 5ds/r in pixels, the quality of the images from the sensor will be much better and the small difference in pixels will not matter. That is assuming the R5 is 45mp.
What's the evidence that the R5 images will be much better?

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t think it’s because it didn’t sell. Rather, it used the 5D III body so I’m sure It was costing Canon to keep the production going once the 5D IV hit the market. The next high mp model will likely use either the R5 or 5D V body. Most likely the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
A few things bothered me with my former 5Ds, and made me switch to the 5DIV.

First, I missed having in camera GPS, like the 6D I had before the 5Ds. To some degree I also missed having wifi.

Second, I did not appreciate the high resolution. It made many (most of) my lenses look poorer than they did before, because what’s the point of high resolution if it looks worse when zooming in to details? (Yes, you do get more detail, but the 100% quality gets poorer). Further, I found it annoying to work with the larger files. It slowed down my computer too much for me to have a decent flow when editing, for not to speak of when I scrolled through images for selecting the keepers.

I did also always shoot at faster shutter speeds than before, making it relatively bad for low light use.

Last, not having dual pixel AF in live view makes it much less versatile than the 5DIV.

At this point in time, I think 30 megapixels is a sweet spot for a FF sensor. Hopefully RF glass and IBIS will make me embrace the R5...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I do not miss wifi at all and I got GP-E2 for GPS and it works fine.

Right now I am at a dilemma. Shall I sell at least one of my 2 5DsRs (the 2nd is just tested with less than 100 clicks) or do I get … a 3rd one ? :D

OK joking, not getting another unless I sell my oldest one so as to renew the guarantee!

Since I wish to sell my 7DII (assuming I will be able to sell it) so for birding 5DsR remains a must. FYI 5DsR's IQ is top with the big white tele lenses, even with the 100-400II.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
5DSRs are going to be geek bargains on eBay for the next decade. I got a beat-up one last year for $600. I hope to find more, as I'd use them as remotes. While I shot with it 1/4 the time at most, I loved that camera. Sold it off for about the same amount. Regret letting it go. I think that camera set expectations that Canon hasn't managed to meet again, although itmight with the upcoming R5.

Upvote 0
What's the evidence that the R5 images will be much better?

I think the EOS R is evidence that an R5 can be at least as good as a 5DS.

When I got the EOS R and shot it in the redwoods alongside my 5DS, it was apparent the images were near equals aside from the megapixel difference. Both very good. I plan on keeping the 5DS though, even if I do get an R5

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A few things bothered me with my former 5Ds, and made me switch to the 5DIV.

First, I missed having in camera GPS, like the 6D I had before the 5Ds. To some degree I also missed having wifi.

Second, I did not appreciate the high resolution. It made many (most of) my lenses look poorer than they did before, because what’s the point of high resolution if it looks worse when zooming in to details? (Yes, you do get more detail, but the 100% quality gets poorer). Further, I found it annoying to work with the larger files. It slowed down my computer too much for me to have a decent flow when editing, for not to speak of when I scrolled through images for selecting the keepers. ... SNIP

Much of the 5DS boils down to what you did not accomplish.

I simply set the 5DS to medium, easily vaporizing the matter you noted about lenses looking poorer. Likewise, images downsized handle that too.

Small or medium files also don't slow down the computer, sweeping under the rug that part which you interjected.

If you like the GPS, that's altogether different. At my end, we explore for new champion trees and don't want location data embedded in files. But I can understand why others would enjoy the GPS option.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think the EOS R is evidence that an R5 can be at least as good as a 5DS.

When I got the EOS R and shot it in the redwoods alongside my 5DS, it was apparent the images were near equals aside from the megapixel difference. Both very good. I plan on keeping the 5DS though, even if I do get an R5
I have had since they both came out a 5DIV, which has the same sensor as the EOS R, and the earlier 5DSR. The 5DSR gives me more detailed and better images. Those observations do not tell me, however, how the R5 will perform. We don’t know, for example, whether it will have an AA-filter. Also, recent latest sensors from other manufacturers have not been significantly better than the previous generation. There have, for example, been reports that some Sony users prefer the A7RIII over the RIV and the Nikon 7100 to 7200 to 7500 is no progress. So, I don’t know whether the R5 will be significantly better than a 5DSR but I would expect better DR at low iso and better shadow recovery. The 5DIV is good in that respect.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Much of the 5DS boils down to what you did not accomplish.

I simply set the 5DS to medium, easily vaporizing the matter you noted about lenses looking poorer. Likewise, images downsized handle that too.

Small or medium files also don't slow down the computer, sweeping under the rug that part which you interjected.

If you like the GPS, that's altogether different. At my end, we explore for new champion trees and don't want location data embedded in files. But I can understand why others would enjoy the GPS option.

I did not use the medium file size on the 5Ds because I saw examples that illustrated that it gave the images a green tint, and I believe also a small degradation of IQ. As far as I remember, the files was a bit slow to work with as well.

I did not experiment much with it, so I can’t say how real the issues were or if the issues was fixed.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It all comes down to how many shells for the body and other critical components they had left. WHen you get to a point that you've run out of a critical part and it's not cost-effective to produce more (and remember the shell is essentially the old 5D Mark III body with minor changes) then you stop production.

But these cameras aren't on a massive production line, much of it is hand assembled so even though it may still have been in production, it may be they were only building a handful a week for the last year or so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I do not miss wifi at all and I got GP-E2 for GPS and it works fine.

Right now I am at a dilemma. Shall I sell at least one of my 2 5DsRs (the 2nd is just tested with less than 100 clicks) or do I get … a 3rd one ? :D

OK joking, not getting another unless I sell my oldest one so as to renew the guarantee!

Since I wish to sell my 7DII (assuming I will be able to sell it) so for birding 5DsR remains a must. FYI 5DsR's IQ is top with the big white tele lenses, even with the 100-400II.
I heard negative reviews of GP-E2 with regards to signal acquisition which meant I still use Garmin GPS unit separately for generating GPS logs.

Upvote 0