Firmware for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III coming in early April to address issue

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
From Canon:
We have confirmed that the following phenomenon may occur during the use of the EOS-1D X Mark III digital SLR camera. A new firmware release is planned for early April; once the new firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our website.
We sincerely apologize to users who may have experienced inconvenience due to this issue.
Phenomenon:
When the camera is used with the electronic level set to “Show” in the viewfinder display, in rare cases, the camera may not perform normally when operating the AF-ON button or shutter button.
Affected Product:
EOS-1D X Mark III (Firmware version 1.0.0)
Workaround:
Use the “Hide” setting for the electronic level in the viewfinder display.
Setting procedure: Menu / Set-up 2 tab / Viewfinder display / Electronic level* [Hide]
*Default setting: [Hide]
Support:
In early-April 2020, we plan to release a firmware update to address the phenomenon listed above.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Dave.
Great to hear what is fixed? Canon have just said a ’phenomenon’ has been identified and a firmware fix is in development, hopefully the phenomenon (dodoodedoody phenomenon dodoodedo) is the random sleep issue, but it might be something no one has spotted, perhaps the level does Knightrider, or the aperture flutters at you, or any one of a million other possibilities! :LOL::LOL:

Cheers, Graham.

ps, yes I’m already bored on the second day of our national Covid19 lockdown, lawn is mowed, lots of housework done!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Dave.
Great to hear what is fixed? Canon have just said a ’phenomenon’ has been identified and a firmware fix is in development, hopefully the phenomenon (dodoodedoody phenomenon dodoodedo) is the random sleep issue, but it might be something no one has spotted, perhaps the level does Knightrider, or the aperture flutters at you, or any one of a million other possibilities! :LOL::LOL:

Cheers, Graham.

ps, yes I’m already bored on the second day of our national Covid19 lockdown, lawn is mowed, lots of housework done!

Only 2nd day? Wait for some more days...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200326-023919__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200326-023919__01.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Every issue addressed by early adopters are being fixed. So many here who yelled at me are not prevalent with their BIG feet in their mouths.

We saw this and much more and Canon is fixing.

Point moot as our Olympic contract was canceled. 2021 is just a slow let down. We were told to sit tight for a confirmed date.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi Dave.
Great to hear what is fixed? Canon have just said a ’phenomenon’ has been identified and a firmware fix is in development, hopefully the phenomenon (dodoodedoody phenomenon dodoodedo) is the random sleep issue, but it might be something no one has spotted, ...

For what it's worth, I have a 1DX Mark III from the initial release and ran into the problem after 500 photos and notified Canon, then hit it again after about 1600 photos, but have not seen it since. I knew it was a problem but couldn't reproduce it. It was a very minor annoyance. Certainly nothing to be concerned about. My problem is similar to what Canon is describing, so I suspect my issue will be corrected with the firmware update.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Hi Dave.

Cheers, Graham.

I am on day 11 here in Williamsport, PA. I can go to office but it is discouraged. PS I work in a Hospital.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Every issue addressed by early adopters are being fixed. So many here who yelled at me are not prevalent with their BIG feet in their mouths.

We saw this and much more and Canon is fixing.

Point moot as our Olympic contract was canceled. 2021 is just a slow let down. We were told to sit tight for a confirmed date.
I don’t see how addressing an obscure level issue addresses the complaints you made of poorer ISO performance above 800 (if I remember correctly) and worse AF hit rate than the 1DX MkII. In fact I see no mention of those ‘issues’ so I’m not sure why you are feeling so vindicated.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
the sad part is they have code for waveform as well :cry: Canon Please
You mean like the Exposure graph making capabilities of Canon's Technical Back E?

I had that with Canon EOS 620. But to tell the truth I did not use it much. I admired the fact that Canon EF system had capabilities to control aperture at 1/4 stop increments. This was revealed through this back.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You mean like the Exposure graph making capabilities of Canon's Technical Back E?

I had that with Canon EOS 620. But to tell the truth I did not use it much. I admired the fact that Canon EF system had capabilities to control aperture at 1/4 stop increments. This was revealed through this back.
I understood, and I don’t know where from off the top of my head but it will have been a technical document years ago, that EF aperture control (and shutter speed) was step less, that is in Tv or P mode the aperture could be set at any intermediate aperture even if the resultant EXIF was rounded to familiar numbers.

Upvote 0
1 D-X III Firmware 1.1.0 update was released today on Canon USA website. It now details the former "phenomenon" as camera freezing when AF-On or shutter button is pressed if viewfinder level is also set to display. I had experienced intermittent freezing, and did have level set to display. I hope this is really the fix. Also, wired LAN communication speed has supposedly been improved. A few other features added as well.

Also, Canon appears to have shipped more cameras. Both B&H and Adorama as well as Canon's own website list it as being in stock today. Don't know if they shipped enough to fulfill original backorder list or if so many pros have delayed purchase and canceled orders due to coronavirus related collapse of business that a small shipment was enough to cover the remaining orders.

Upvote 0