The Canon EOS R5 has passed Bluetooth certification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like one of the last hurdles to production has been passed, as the Canon EOS R5 has received Bluetooth certification.
Nokishita breaks down the certification and code names:
Canon “DS126831 / 36/37/38/39/40” also passed Bluetooth certification. Probably all “EOS R5” (36 is North American version [1-11,36-64,149-165ch], 38 is Taiwan etc. version [1-11,36-165ch], 39 is Chinese version [1-13,36-64,149] -165ch]. There should be a Japanese version [1-13,36-140ch] and a 1-13,36-165ch compatible version)

Things are obviously all over the place at the moment, but the last thing I was told is that the EOS R5 would still begin shipping in July. I just don’t know when the official announcement date will be.
Saving up for the Canon EOS R5 already?
Adorama is looking for Canon EOS 5D Mark...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-r5-has-passed-bluetooth-certification/]Continue reading...

Last edited:

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
It's good to hear progress with the R5. I wonder if there will be a 100% reliable iphone (& android) app to communicate/control with the R5 in a really nice remote mode?

They probably won't. Cause if they did, none of us will buy their optional expensive remote controllers. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
It's good to hear progress with the R5. I wonder if there will be a 100% reliable iphone (& android) app to communicate/control with the R5 in a really nice remote mode?
Yes, but it may not come from Canon. Both Cascable (uses camera WiFi) and CamRanger (external WiFi device) are amazingly simple and reliable ways to control and move photos from your Canon wirelessly. Cascable is iOS/iPadOS and MacOS only. CamRanger’s software is cross-platform. I’ve used both for years for remote control in nature photography. Today the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is the most awesome camera viewfinder ever.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon has bluetooth modules that have already been approved. Typically, a approval consists of blessing the approved module as installed in a particular camera. The required tests are done by a certifited test company and the regulatory authorities bless the report. This can require approvals from many agencies around the world, so it is a exercise in bureaucracy. It is not required for production of a camera, but you can't sell one without. If the camera will be delivered on July 1, its been in production for ~10 months now. A new sensor probably needs a longer lead time yet if its totally new.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
No reason for production not to have started. The Bluetooth radio is pretty cut and dried. Any compatibility issues would be adjustments to firmware.

I thought so. But the news says "last hurdle to production" as if the production was prevented by not having the BT certification.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Any product by any brand could fail a blue tooth exam.

Not really, the Bluetooth standards are so vague that every manufacturer's implementation differs slightly in behaviour from each other. Yet they all 'pass'.

Bluetooth Core Specification 5.0 is 2,822 pages long, yet Bluetooth implementation is still a subjective exercise.

Upvote 0