Adobe adds Canon EOS R5 support to Premiere Pro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The long-awaited release of the Canon EOS R5 is getting closer by the day, and even Adobe is getting ready.
The June update of the Adobe Premiere Pro includes support for importing Canon EOS R5 video.
Premiere Pro now supports the following file formats:

Enhanced bitrate controls for JPEG 2000 MXF export
Import of Canon EOS R5 footage
Import of Canon EOS-1D X Mark III footage
Import of RED Komodo footage

We only have a couple of weeks until the official announcement of the Canon EOS R5.
Thanks Jonas

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Does it come with a liquid cooling system to keep your computer from catching fire while editing RAW 8K R5 footage? This old jalopy hurts editing 1080p!
I’ve ordered a high-end iMac (not the Pro) from Apple after seeing how well a friend’s similar iMac handles video in FCP. My current iMac is seven years old, and is also a bit sluggish with Lightroom. I got 10% off with my membership in a veteran’s organization and I’m getting over $500 in trade for my old iMac.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm an FCP user so I can't speak to the Premiere update but the June update in lightroom classic dramatically improved grid view scrolling for me. I can now sellect my entire catalog of 250K images and sail right through it. That had been a major workflow drag I'd been experiencing with using a single consolidated catalog. Appears to speed up working with collections as well. My "rental" dollars at work. :) Cue the haters.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I tend to lean towards FCPX these days. But nice to have options. This news would seem to support the idea that this camera will be out in the wild very soon. That’s awesome! I’m definitely getting it as I have already given my EOS R away. The only question I have left is will this satisfy my video needs to the point where I feel I should skip the Red Komodo that has also been on my list. I honestly didn’t imagine that the Canon would have a spec sheet as impressive as it does. So now we must wait and see if rolling shutter in 8K or line skipping in 4K are problematic. If they are the Komodo might be a better choice for video. I’m hoping there are no shortcomings and Canon delivers in full.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I tend to lean towards FCPX these days. But nice to have options. This news would seem to support the idea that this camera will be out in the wild very soon. [..]

This also makes it easier for reviewers to use the RAW video, a lot of 1dx3 reviews went like "Yeah, 5.5k RAW, but I can't figure out how to make DPP4 spit something out that Premiere/FCPX understands."
Canon released the FCPX plugin a bit late, I hope the same plugin works with R5 RAW to avoid the wait. Not that I do video or use FCPX/Premiere :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Does it come with a liquid cooling system to keep your computer from catching fire while editing RAW 8K R5 footage? This old jalopy hurts editing 1080p!

/s
A friend of mine at Canon has read your post here and assures me that, under the circumstances, Canon will delay release of the R5 until you have upgraded your equipment. [Sigh...] :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’ve ordered a high-end iMac (not the Pro) from Apple after seeing how well a friend’s similar iMac handles video in FCP. My current iMac is seven years old, and is also a bit sluggish with Lightroom. I got 10% off with my membership in a veteran’s organization and I’m getting over $500 in trade for my old iMac.
Pretty much all newer Macs edit video very well if you use FCPX, even the 13" MBP edits 4k effortlessly. However Premier Pro just isn't anywhere near as good a solution for the Mac unless you go seriously up spec.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Pretty much all newer Macs edit video very well if you use FCPX, even the 13" MBP edits 4k effortlessly. However Premier Pro just isn't anywhere near as good a solution for the Mac unless you go seriously up spec.
I don't do a lot of video, but my 2014 iMac runs quite well when editing 4K video in FCP X. Right after edits it can play back that section in real time, just suspending background processing for the moment.

I have run Premier Pro a few times just to learn how to use it. I didn't see any advantage for my purposes, so I have stuck with FCP X just because I'm familiar with it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Does anyone know if Adobe has also realised support for R5 Raws? Or know roughly how long it will take to get out R5 support after launch? It’s encouraging to see video support, but the photography side is what I really need :D

And how many *years* after it supports the RAW files will it get proper colour profiles for it? The R one is copied 1:1 from the 5d4, the RP and M6II don't have any profiles at all. For macro I don't care as much, but LR makes my kids look like extras in a zombie movie when using the M6II, 'pallid' is too kind a word for the resulting skin tones.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And how many *years* after it supports the RAW files will it get proper colour profiles for it? The R one is copied 1:1 from the 5d4, the RP and M6II don't have any profiles at all. For macro I don't care as much, but LR makes my kids look like extras in a zombie movie when using the M6II, 'pallid' is too kind a word for the resulting skin tones.
Oh that’s not really fair, anybody that cares about color already has a Color Checker and makes their own profiles for which Adobe make a free for all no subscription fully supported program, which takes about 15 seconds to make profiles accurate for your own personal camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Strange Adobe just rolled out June update for AdobeRaw and Lightroom and it does not include Canon Eos R5 support.
Check out new update for Lightroom Classic. Few really nice features.

CR3 raw file support already exists thanks to the EOS R release. I have a suspicion support will be under wraps until the sensor resolution is announced.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
This is all nice. But Canon needs to stop threatening open source projects that want to access CR3 files. All of the opensource photoeditors are ready to add CR3 support but are held back by threats from Canon. So I have had an R for over a year and still can't edit RAW files from it. It is just another example of Canon finding new ways to cripple their cameras. I use my 80D more than my R becuase I can use RAW files. I am not buying another Canon any thing until they pull their heads out of their drain pipes.

• Haha
Upvote 0